Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 12:05   #91

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
I'm thinking one of the 1970s vintage Cross trimarans. Built out of ply, so a trip to the lumberyard is all you need to repair it. They were 40' to 43' as I recall and some had the gap between the almas and the main hull glassed over so they had roughly the same deck area as an aircraft carrier
I guess..............
Old 03-11-2012, 12:34   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
20k for a cat that will haul 3-4 and gear?

I think you will be pretty disappointed when you start looking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
I'm thinking one of the 1970s vintage Cross trimarans. Built out of ply, so a trip to the lumberyard is all you need to repair it. They were 40' to 43' as I recall and some had the gap between the almas and the main hull glassed over so they had roughly the same deck area as an aircraft carrier

Yeh i've seen some of those tri's online, those are what im holding out for. I can stretch to $25k if i have to, but it means i'd have to stay with my job a little longer to keep the money coming in before i can become a 100% fulltime cruiser. There's a few out there for around $30-40k, i'm hoping to find someone willing to drop their asking price a bit.

Therapy - i realise 20k for a cat big enough is probably not going to happen. If i can't get my hands on one of these 1970s tri's, i might have to go with the monohull and say goodbye to those shallow water anchorages

Quite a few of those in mexico, but i'd rather get one on the east coast USA to save the hassle of getting to the caribbean cruising grounds.
ProjectElandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:53   #93

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectElandra View Post
Yeh i've seen some of those tri's online, those are what im holding out for. I can stretch to $25k if i have to, but it means i'd have to stay with my job a little longer to keep the money coming in before i can become a 100% fulltime cruiser. There's a few out there for around $30-40k, i'm hoping to find someone willing to drop their asking price a bit.

Therapy - i realise 20k for a cat big enough is probably not going to happen. If i can't get my hands on one of these 1970s tri's, i might have to go with the monohull and say goodbye to those shallow water anchorages

Quite a few of those in mexico, but i'd rather get one on the east coast USA to save the hassle of getting to the caribbean cruising grounds.

Yea.

Hassle + $$
Old 12-11-2012, 18:18   #94

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

and another: 32 ft Catamaran
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 19:05   #95
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by snort
and another: 32 ft Catamaran
Nice find!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 20:16   #96

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Does anyone know anything about this boat? Model? Layout? Any critical design flaws? If it is even available?
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 20:38   #97

It's an Iroquois, a pretty old cat now--they were built in the 60's and 70's, I think. They were supposedly tough, well-made boats, and I would go look at it myself if it were closer to home.
Dogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 20:52   #98

The interiors need some serious 'modernization'. But, it looks like a good catamaran for the money. And it could be a great boat for two short people (under 6').

1979 Iroquios Catamaran Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Here is one that did do the work to update the interior, and it isn't a bad boat.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 02:57   #99
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil
The interiors need some serious 'modernization'. But, it looks like a good catamaran for the money. And it could be a great boat for two short people (under 6').

1979 Iroquios Catamaran Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Here is one that did do the work to update the interior, and it isn't a bad boat.
Rio is a heavily modified Iroquois with stern extensions and daggerboards instead of center boards. Looks like the only mods to the interior was a paint job in white. Nice boats but very tender. There have been quite a few that have flipped, especially the earlier MkI models. But performance is good if kept light.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 11:58   #100

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Rio is a heavily modified Iroquois with stern extensions and daggerboards instead of center boards. Looks like the only mods to the interior was a paint job in white. Nice boats but very tender. There have been quite a few that have flipped, especially the earlier MkI models. But performance is good if kept light.
My interest in this boat would be a few weekend trips and some sailing practice for myself and the missus. We both need some catamaran time, and I'd personally rather own a boat like this than charter larger more expensive ones.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 12:22   #101
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

smj is right - they do have a reputation for being rather tender and a number have capsized. Indeed, some were fitted with a football-shaped flotation device on the top of the mast!

That being said, they were well-built and are good performers - the designer, J.R.(Rod) MacAlpine-Downey, designed some world-record breaking performance cats and the underbody design of these boats is still virtually state-of-the-art for performance-oriented cruising cats: relatively high Cp (prismatic co-effiicent), fine entry forward with modified u-shaped sections aft, upward-angled forward chines to increase bouyancy forward in extremis, relatively high bridgdeck clearance, forward trampoline, boards rather than keels, relatively low displacement with a relatively high SA/D ratio, etc. If being used for daysails and weekend trips in good weather, I would have no compunction about the stability; and of course you can (and should) always reef early and often!

Furthermore, while the interior is spartan and there is no standing headroom in the saloon, so what? You can stand in the head, galley and in the staterooms for getting dressed and there is plenty of sitting headroom around the table. As a liveaboard for extended periods, no. As a weekender, she should be a fun, fast, responsive boat with far better accomodation than most small monohulls.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 13:07   #102
Marine Service Provider

Re: Cheap Catalac in FL keys

catamaran for sale

sounds like a true project!
catabroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 13:39   #103

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Mast reinstalled at one half its orig length?? Why reinstall at all???
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 20:52   #104

http://qc.kijiji.ca/c-acheter-et-ven...AdIdZ426973360

Check this one out.... Can't realy figure what the goal was...
Lajos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 21:27   #105

Boat: Albin Vega 27
Interesting thread! Thanks for posting!
Inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, paracelle