Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2016, 19:21   #1591

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning
Re: Cheap Multis and Projects

Sandcrabs link in post #1587 of Invictus is a recent photo. The text explaining its condition was from a previous CL ad last year. It was also discussed on this thread then, I suppose around Feb from the Proa link Sandcrab provided. I saw invictus cruising near Blake Is, 5 miles East of Seattle, last summer. The red, white and black paint job looked beautiful from 500 yards but maybe it is house paint covering dodgy plywood. I walked on its decks last year when it was yellow and it wasn't falling apart but I suppose there is plenty to do It has a warm place in the hearts of Seattle multihull club members (NWMA). People I've talked to who've raced it have nice things to say about it. I think the owner Larry C. was a bit self deprecating in his assessment. There are people here in Seattle who know much more history on this boat. Go back and find the posts from last year. It really is a nice cool looking boat as opposed to others I have seen from that era. There is really no interior to speak of unless whoever got it last year, and did the paint job, made some changes. Someone with energy in Seattle should save this bit of history. I don't meet those qualifications. I am not the seller......`
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 20:38   #1592

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Larry was always self-deprecating about his boat and his accomplishments. I haven't been aboard Invictus since its new paint job, but it was major but salvageable project last year. Given that it will be almost if not completely free, sure it's worth a look.
Old 19-01-2016, 03:02   #1593

Saw Invictus on Craigslist. Searched and found this thread with quite a lot of talk about the vessel. I am very interested. Anyone in the area that could help me out?
freedomwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 04:04   #1594

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Looks like he didn't paint the Hughes but vinyl wrapped her instead!
Cruising | tgsg Blog

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Does anyone have a fix on how hard that stuff is to remove? Especially after it's been; baked on, soaked, scratched up, & friend by UV?
As I'm guessing that it isn't going to wnat to come of nicely, in one big easy peel. And it would bite to be stuck (no pun intended) winding up, gently scraping off little shards & strips, on 1,000+ sqft of hulls. But someone please chime in if I'm wrong.
That, & I can't help but to wonder as to how much of a sticky mess, from adhesive residue there may (will) be, too. After the vinyl's removed.

It's an "interesting" way to re-paint a boat. One which I guess I'll have to do some reading on. Given that it's a new one on me.
But on first glance, I can't help but to think that the con's might heavily outweigh the pro's. And that the lifespan of the vinyl, plus the possible difficulty in it's removal, may be a big factor in her asking price.
Especially as, I know that most of that type of material which I've worked with is a beast to remove, even when it's pretty new. Or such was the case when I did a lot of work in graphics, signs, & logos, anyway.

So the big question is, does Heinlein's addage apply in this case? TANSTAAFL!
Easy to apply, but a beast & then some to remove?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 04:20   #1595
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I think you just whack another layer on. Like most people do with electrical tape on speader boot.
Old 19-01-2016, 08:39   #1596

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomwinds View Post
Saw Invictus on Craigslist. Searched and found this thread with quite a lot of talk about the vessel. I am very interested. Anyone in the area that could help me out?
Where are you and what do you want to know?
Old 19-01-2016, 10:46   #1597

Hi guys
anyone knows a good 40'+ Cat for sale (under$40k) ?
in the east coast
Thanks
threeeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 15:48   #1598

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
Where are you and what do you want to know?
I need to know it's current condition and cost to recommision as a very spartan, simple and relatively fast coastal cruiser. Looks like the starboard ama has had recent aft collision damage. Dallas TX
Old 19-01-2016, 17:11   #1599
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

[QUOTE=threeeye;2020952]Hi guys
in the east coast
Thanks[/QUOTE

Good, 40'+ and under $40,000? Your looking for a needle in the haystack. If found, I doubt it will be posted on here. If you find it have cash in hand and ready to buy. They do come up occasionally.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 17:13   #1600

Its current condition is rough. There never was much of an interior as it was built as a racer. I have heard about but not seen the damaged ama. Invictus is cold molded, so repairs would be time consuming. There are a few places where the wood is wet/soft around the cabin. It has a rig, sails, daggerboard, rudder. The windows would need to be rebedded. The list goes on. Its got a lot of things and needs a lot of others. For instance, there are no electronics. Cost to put everything together? When Sue and I looked at it, we figured at least $80K to get it into a state that would meet our world cruising requirements. That's doing a lot of the work ourselves. Your standards and requirements may well be different.

Invictus is a wonderful old boat. It was a champion in its day. Now it needs more than a little bit of, as used car salesmen like to say, TLC.

My candid but very personal opinion is that this project is better suited to someone local to the Puget Sound area.

Best,
Joe
Old 19-01-2016, 19:48   #1601

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeeye View Post
Hi guys
in the east coast
Thanks
You might want to look at 40' tris.
Old 19-01-2016, 23:42   #1602

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
Its current condition is rough. There never was much of an interior as it was built as a racer. I have heard about but not seen the damaged ama. Invictus is cold molded, so repairs would be time consuming. There are a few places where the wood is wet/soft around the cabin. It has a rig, sails, daggerboard, rudder. The windows would need to be rebedded. The list goes on. Its got a lot of things and needs a lot of others. For instance, there are no electronics. Cost to put everything together? When Sue and I looked at it, we figured at least $80K to get it into a state that would meet our world cruising requirements. That's doing a lot of the work ourselves. Your standards and requirements may well be different.

Invictus is a wonderful old boat. It was a champion in its day. Now it needs more than a little bit of, as used car salesmen like to say, TLC.

My candid but very personal opinion is that this project is better suited to someone local to the Puget Sound area.

Best,
Joe
Thanks Joe! It's a beautiful boat and I hate to see it deteriorate anymore. Seems like the past year has been exceptionally rough on it. I better finish my Buccaneer restoration before I get anymore projects started.
Old 20-01-2016, 07:57   #1603

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
That first one is missing something important.
That one got my attention.

Any thoughts on replacing the rig? "Factory original" design/parts or "Standard/generic" design/parts?

Approximate cost?
mohave_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 08:44   #1604

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Going to guess you could easily dump another 20k + in a rig and sails and hardware even w a used boom and mast. Might not be such a deal.
That intercat is a better deal on a roomier nicer newer boat

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 12:23   #1605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Going to guess you could easily dump another 20k + in a rig and sails and hardware even w a used boom and mast. Might not be such a deal.
That intercat is a better deal on a roomier nicer newer boat

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ouch!!

I was making a wild guess at $5k-$8k if you leveraged used parts where reasonable. Then beat the seller with a big stick and try to get the boat for $15k.

With $20k-$23k invested it MAY be a great deal.

Pay $20k for the boat and dump another $20k plus a bunch of time and you would have what may be a $35k boat.

Damn! I kinda like the Catalac 9M's
mohave_steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, paracelle