Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2017, 21:28   #31

Re: Cheap Gunboat 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I'd argue that there are more than few people capable of building a decent boat. And this boat doesn't have to be rebuilt exactly the same as it was.

I wouldn't. I'd have made a more "conventional" boat out of it. A more enclosed bridgedeck cabin, a forebeam, etc.

I wouldn't want or need some of the luxury stuff. AC, diesel gensets etc. etc.

What I'd have been getting is a huge headstart to a fast, light and simple 55 footer. I'd be targeting a launch weight of around 5 tonnes dry, maybe cruising at around 6.5 - 7 tonnes. Around a 18-19 metre mast, reasonable sail area, say 125m-135m (working sails) and you'd have a pretty quick boat. Not a rocketship, but definitely a fast cruiser. And it wouldn't need to cost all that much.

For a rumoured $10k, the buyers have gotten a pair of carbon fibre hulls and bridgedeck whose materials alone would have been worth far more than that. Even if it cost another $10k (unlikely) to strip out all the motors and wiring etc, and clean it all up, it's still a real bargain.

I wouldn't be attempting to rebuild a Gunboat 55. So I wouldn't really want all of the plans. Just the hull layup specs really. And if need be, I'd do without them. The strong points would be pretty obvious anyway. But I also wouldn't be asking them to GIVE me them. I'd be looking to buy them, as long as the price was sensible.
Exactly why I'm jealous. No need to compete with Gunboat to still end up with something far better than most kit builds.
SDChristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:42   #32

Auction was in September, if I remember correctly. Would be interesting to see what was the "sold" price.
Here are more "as found" pictures:

RAINMAKER FOR SALE: Used Gunboat 55 On the Block For Just $15K - Sailfeed

It definitely needs more "tuneup" than I would be willing to do.

BTW, last time I've checked - the other, good 2015 G55 was still for sale, at 1.9M. Originally it was listed at 2.5 or 2.7M. I predicted almost year ago, that some enthusiast might buy it at 1.5M...so it's getting there.
Here it is:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2015...s#.WG4Wcr6SN_A
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 16:32   #33

Just arrived here: Multihull Centre | Marina & Yacht Storage | Brokerage | Catamarans Fore Sale | New Boats Fore Sale | | Multihull Centre

They are posting updates on their Facebook page. I bet this boat is going to be beautiful.

https://www.facebook.com/Themultihul...4911723857385/
SDChristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 03:55   #34

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Wow, very clean after all, what a nice Project......
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 06:05   #35

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
No doubt a person with your skills would be able to build a fine cat out of Rainmaker.

There are very few people with your skill set.
No, there are a lot, and I suspect a few of them will be working on this boat and it may well turn out to be a "fine cat".

Quote:
The problem is that Rainmaker was a $2.5 million dollar boat.
And it's part of the opportunity. It's all carbon fibre. Building that hull was a huge chunk of that cost. Repairing the hull itself, while expensive, will likely not approach it's original production cost as reflected in the purchase price.

Quote:
To bring a $2.5 million dollar boat back to Bristol condition would cost far more than any bank would give you for restoration.
The boat does not need to be identical to what came out of the factory to be a fine cat. Clearly someone has the money to do this, and is doing it, so whether any bank is willing to make that loan is moot. And banks are not the sole judges of what constitutes a viable restoration plan.

Quote:
This boat is still in production under new management, so they would not be giving away any blueprints to a home builder, especially after GB's china partner stole a lot of GB's proprietary blueprints already.
They don't need blueprints, they just need rigging parameters and other vitals for the boat, or they can hire a competent naval architect to redesign the interior, systems, rig etc.

Also, Gunboat may well like to see this boat restored if only for the slightly improved PR of it having a new life. They may cooperate rather freely in the process. Who knows.

Clearly someone has decided they can make this work. I doubt it's some idiot who does not have the resources and has not consulted with industry experts on it's feasibility. But who knows, stranger things have happened than someone having unrealistic dreams about restoring a boat lol.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 19:34   #36

You're welcome. Enjoy
Surprisingly, it cleaned out pretty well.

ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 17:01   #37

Rainmaker is now a powercat.

Rennsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 07:14   #38

Boat: Balance 526

There are actually now 2 former Gunboat 55 hulls which have been retooled as power cats. VooDoo will be operating as a day charter cat based out of St John, USVI.

https://www.facebook.com/voodoo.charters.vi/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	voodoo.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	238701  
Hodgdon87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap