Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2009, 11:25   #1

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Cheap Gemini Cats

So why are they so cheap compared to other cruising cats? You can get a 5 year old gemini for about the same as a comparable 20 year old cat. What gives? Are these un-seaworthy party platforms?
That question begs another- Are there any production cats that should be avoided if you plan any serious cruising? I'd like to coastal cruise through Mexico, Central America, and then the Caribbean and then think about crossing oceans. Which cats (32-38 feet) should I avoid?
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:30   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
It just might be more bang for your buck!

Around the world on SLAPDASH

This is a fun read. Seth has a unique sense of humor.....i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:39   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
They're smaller and lighter and only have one engine. Not many other cats on the market like this.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:19   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42
One tends to get what one pays for. I suggest you rent one for a week or so and you'll understand why.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 15:28   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Its pretty easy to sneer at a another man's boat. But there are a thousand Geminis out there, and most owners keep them for a good while. They are built to a price, which means that you cannot buy more catamaran for the money anywhere. If you don't plan on rounding the horn, wintering over in Antarctica or circumnavigating the wrong way round, you could be very happy with a Gemini. For Coastal cruising, it will do just fine. And you can join a good group of people who enjoy their cats very much, but get pretty tired of being slammed by the self appointed cognoscenti.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 17:51   #6

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
I agree it is a price point boat.

I never had a Bayliner in the past because I couldn't afford one.

Barely made this one after dreaming about small cats since I was 20 or so. The Heavenly Twins back then......OOOHHHHH.

But at least we are now "out there" and level and have room and like the 3ft places to anchor around here and .............

These folks have guts I don't think I have.

Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 18:41   #7

Great vids!! I love to see real world sailing and how people cope with it. Thanks
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 20:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
One tends to get what one pays for. I suggest you rent one for a week or so and you'll understand why.

FWIW...
So tell me why, lead miner.
Sounds like a good idea, really.
I just got approval from the Admiral to charter a Gemini for a couple of days in San Diego near the end of summer. Honestly, I hadn't thought of it until you suggested it. Then I will have actual facts and experience of my own instead of whatever opinion I form based on all the shiny detritus rolling around in my brain.
And I'll go across the border and get my teeth fixed for 1/4th the price in the same trip. The 1st mate is insisting on a foray into Legoland too. A real smorgasbord, that San Diego is. Something for everyone.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:52   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 42
sww914--

About 10 years ago my (much) better half became enthralled with the Gemini (no heeling!) and talked me into renting one for a week in Southwest Florida. She and my daughter had a lovely time--for the most part--and I spent the week repairing things as they broke or failed in use on this 1-year old boat. At the end of the week I presented a list of malfunctions/defects to the charter operator that filled both sides of a page. The fellow shrugged and respended "...waall, yeh gits whats yeh pays for...". As we loaded the car my wife's commented the she now appreciated our own boat much more.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte

PS: How's tricks in SLO? I did my undergrad at Poly and we built our first house in Los Osos!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:59   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
It was a charter boat, and that says a lot. I don't think you can take away the fun Slapdash has supplied their owners going from the east coast of America to N.Z, and preparing to go farther. I met a couple in St. Maarten where I bought Imagine that sailed from S. Africa with 2 teenagers.

They are what they are, and the important thing is getting out there, and living within your means. What ever you choose. BEST WISHES in choosing a boat that will serve you well.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:42   #11
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
I would get a 105mc or 105m. The older boats are different...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
It was a charter boat, and that says a lot. I don't think you can take away the fun Slapdash has supplied their owners going from the east coast of America to N.Z, and preparing to go farther. I met a couple in St. Maarten where I bought Imagine that sailed from S. Africa with 2 teenagers.

They are what they are, and the important thing is getting out there, and living within your means. What ever you choose. BEST WISHES in choosing a boat that will serve you well.......i2f
and the resale value will be much lower. There were signifigant changes made over the years, both in design and materials.

They are the most livable boat in the size range. Visibilty from the helm is poor, but that doesn't seem to bother most folks, perhaps just me. Durablity issues are often in smaller things, not the basic structure, but there do seem to be some issues with the drive leg and the steering.

But most of the design is well thought out and they have some very clever features. They have also got more boats on the water than anything but beach cats, so they have their share of stories and have had much time to learn. I nearly bought one, and I think I would be happy if I had. I am also very happy with what I did buy. Look a the PDQ 32 as well - only a little more dinaro, a little shorter, and a little wider. Very solid.

I spent an hour reading Slapdash's log last night. Better than the tripe on TV! Makes me want to get up and GO.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:24   #12

Here's a couple most of the way to Ireland from Bermuda:

SV Footprint

Having an interesting time with the weather, but getting there.

Cheers
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:16   #13

OT-
Well, this area is much the same. Slow growth policies prevent much change. SLO still makes it's living on the colleges and the prison, not through the production of anything tangible, and Los Osos is still fighting over the sewer. It's a nice place to live if you don't mind a LOT of government, 3 rules for everything and 2 taxes for every rule.
I have it pretty good, in a way. I manage to make my living building and maintaining Porsche racecars. I don't have a sign, business cards, or a location that is easy to find but I manage to stay too busy.
It's chilly in Los Osos more days than not. It's not that it's very cold ever, it's just that it never gets warm. If it's sunny it's windy and if it's not windy it's foggy. That air is cold coming off of a 54 degree (today) ocean.
The water around Vancouver island is 55 degrees today.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:59   #14

Boat: Cal 34 MkIII - Goodwill
San Diego Gemini Charter

I'm thinking about chartering a Gemini in SoCal (I live in Sant Barbara). I'm interested to learn where you found one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
So tell me why, lead miner.
Sounds like a good idea, really.
I just got approval from the Admiral to charter a Gemini for a couple of days in San Diego near the end of summer. Honestly, I hadn't thought of it until you suggested it. Then I will have actual facts and experience of my own instead of whatever opinion I form based on all the shiny detritus rolling around in my brain.
And I'll go across the border and get my teeth fixed for 1/4th the price in the same trip. The 1st mate is insisting on a foray into Legoland too. A real smorgasbord, that San Diego is. Something for everyone.
stevet555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 13:41   #15

Sailing the Southern California with Marina Sailing Charters
It was in San Diego, now it's representing the LBC, Dogg.

Tags
gemini