Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2016, 16:43   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Charter in Croatia

We are thinking of doing a charter with this company:

Catamaran Charter Croatia | All catamarans from Split, Dubrovnik, Zadar, Sibenik and Istria

Curious if anyone has 1. Experience with this charter company; 2. Any advice in general with chartering in Croatia; 3. What is the "off season" in Croatia and why is it an "off season" (note rates are 1/3 off from the high season).

Thanks in advance for any advice you have.
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 17:26   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41
Re: Charter in Croatia

This looks like a broker not an actual charter company. I chartered a boat last September from Ultra Sailing. They have Beneteau mono hulls and Foutaine Pajot Cats. I was very happy with the company and the trip.
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 20:45   #3

Get an International Certificate of Competence BEFORE you go.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 16:06   #4

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliohale View Post
3. What is the "off season" in Croatia
Anything prior to July 1st and after sept 30th (typically & roughly)

Quote:
and why is it an "off season" (note rates are 1/3 off from the high season).
because in 'off season' the typical month long vacations that people take ,between July 1st and Sept 30 , are over .

French, Italians , Austrians , Germans etc are all back to work , leaving a lot of yachts empty and thus prices drop

(oh , winter months are 'off season' as well, but thats because its just too damn cold there)
ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 16:55   #5
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

I would also add that early September is after school holidays. I booked my boat for 10 Sept this year to avoid the majority of crowds yet still have places open on the majority of islands and have warm weather. I fly out from Sydney next week, can't wait! Woohoo!
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:55   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
I would also add that early September is after school holidays. I booked my boat for 10 Sept this year to avoid the majority of crowds yet still have places open on the majority of islands and have warm weather. I fly out from Sydney next week, can't wait! Woohoo!
tp12, out of curiosity, where are you chartering from? I will be in Croatia 3-17 sailing from Zadar down south through the islands. Might see you there
Alex
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:16   #7

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
What Charter Company are you using? Be sure to let us know how it goes and any lessons learned. Thanks
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:03   #8

It is a small company out of Zadar: GTF charter. They only have monohulls, but I prefer monohulls in the Med...Caribbean is a different story. Will try to post when I am back.
Best regards, Alex
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 13:40   #9

I'll be in Croatia from 3rd sept till 10th sept (with 5 friends Chartering a bareboat mono)
Normally we charter out of Vodice with All Inclusive Yacht Charters – AYC Yacht Charter (great charter company btw)
But this time we start in Trogir as we wanted to explore a little more to the south

previous times we went north/west to the Kornati's and south to the Split / Vis area from Vodice . So now we're starting where we left off last time . Korcula looks good , maybe a little more south , personally I wouldnt mind visiting Mljet again but it might be a bit much for the rest of the crew

6 Men on a yacht , vacationing , eating , drinking .. somehow sailing doesn't seem to be all that important on some of the mornings ;-)
Old 01-09-2016, 13:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Get an International Certificate of Competence BEFORE you go.
Absolutely !

both ICC coastal and VHF license are a requirement and I have always been asked to show both (and send them by email prior to signing the charter contract) when I arrive
Old 01-09-2016, 17:00   #11
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
What Charter Company are you using? Be sure to let us know how it goes and any lessons learned. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_sauvage View Post
tp12, out of curiosity, where are you chartering from? I will be in Croatia 3-17 sailing from Zadar down south through the islands. Might see you there
Alex
I booked my boat through Odyssey Sailing in Greece - Yacht charter sailing Greece

I pick the boat up in Rhodes and return it to Rhodes so won't be venturing too far, especially if the Meltemi is smashing us. I've got a new Bavaria 41 Cruiser; I'd originally booked a Bene 34 but the owner sold it and put me on the 41 for free - sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneJK View Post
Absolutely !

both ICC coastal and VHF license are a requirement and I have always been asked to show both (and send them by email prior to signing the charter contract) when I arrive
This must be dependent on the waters you're sailing in. I've asked twice now about the VHF requirement and it's not yet in place in Greece and I chartered with the RYA Day Skipper as my license - I'm eligible for the ICC I just haven't done the paperwork but they were happy to accept it. I could also charter in Croatia with Day Skipper, I was very close to booking up there, but I didn't check the VHF requirement. I haven't done the VHF course but it's covered in the Day Skipper and I was in the Royal Australian Signals Corp for 7 years...
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, Croatia