Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-05-2007, 16:56   #121

Boat: hope to be a Power Catamaran Cruiser as soon as we can swing it
post #69 From Cesar, for those of us that don't speak Spanish.
Courtesy of Babel fish.

For SettingSail2009: A point to consider is the capcidad of load of the boat. Osea: the difference between the despalzamiento in emptiness and the total displacement. A catamaran of 12 meters, will have a lifting capacity to you of about 2,500 kg; this turns out insufficient to circumnavigate the planet. There is much equipment that to put in a boat before weighing anchor. From 4,000 kg we can say that it is a boat sufficient to circumnavigate. A greeting: Caesar.

Desert Sailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 23:51   #122

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pijot Catamaran
Hi Andreas,

My husband and I have been living on our 42 ft Fountain Pijot Catamaran for five years. Shiraz is our first boat and she has been terrific. We have her equipped as a cruising cat so she is heavy but still handles very well. If you get a minute, take a look at our website SLACK ADVENTURE

We are in Australia now and just had new sails and a new generator put in and are going over the top to Darwin soon. We have joined the Darwin to Kupang rally that leaves Darwin July 21.

Good luck in your aquisition.

Fair Winds
slackadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:02   #123

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SettingSail2009
(quoting Admiral) "...where costly extras such as desalination and airconditioning are not required..."
Required?

Does this really separate blue water capable from coastal?

Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 14:09   #124

Boat: Ovni 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj
Required?

Does this really separate blue water capable from coastal?

Mark
Mark, you quote me out of context. I emphasized the words "short trips", anytime you use those words as a selling point for a cat, you're not exactly pushing a circumnavigator.
Old 04-05-2007, 21:45   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackadventure
If you get a minute, take a look at our website SLACK ADVENTURE
I'm in the process of reading through your logs. Thank you!

Good luck in the Darwin to Kupang rally.
Old 05-05-2007, 13:40   #126

Hi All
Sorry to jump in
I have been following this thread since it began. I am also looking for a world cruising Catamaran for a very young family of 4 (Chn currently 1-3) so I have enjoyed all the comments and suggestions.
I am in a different price bracket(cheap) and location (New Zealand) I am look for a home build cat and I am very interested to know the thoughts and ideas from the people of this forum on the Easy designs 11.6m Easy catamarans. Looking to live aboard and cruise locally then maybe further afield. I have one chance to get this boat so I have to get it right.
In the Future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 23:11   #127

Boat: Fountaine pajot, Belize 43
Andreas,

The load carrying capacity of the Belize is 3,4 tons. I have not loaded her up to that myself, but i believe that that would cover weight requirements for all of your gear being just a couple onboard.

I just bought my boat this winter so the price would be up to date. Also bear in mind that the prices asked in many occations resembles fairy tales for the sellers! There are always quite a bit of room for some serious haggling as long as you have have the money upfront and can act quickly.

Good luck hunting!

Lucky
Happy lead free sailin
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 00:19   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackadventure
Hi Andreas,

My husband and I have been living on our 42 ft Fountain Pijot Catamaran for five years. Shiraz is our first boat and she has been terrific. We have her equipped as a cruising cat so she is heavy but still handles very well. If you get a minute, take a look at our website SLACK ADVENTURE

We are in Australia now and just had new sails and a new generator put in and are going over the top to Darwin soon. We have joined the Darwin to Kupang rally that leaves Darwin July 21.

Good luck in your aquisition.

Fair Winds
Your website doesn't work.

would love to check it out....
Redbull addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:45   #129

Hi Schoonerdog.

A few other users wrote some honest opinions about their own boats (Broadblue 385, Manta 40, Lagoon 380S2, Lagoon 420, Seawind 1000, Privilege 435, FP 43). I greatly enjoyed and appreciated that.

In another thread you wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog
Best Value world cruiser used: St Francis 44
I'd love to hear more about why you think it is the best world cruiser I'll find on the used market.

I've long been looking at buying a new boat, because I could get it "exactly" like I want, but now I'm starting to lean more towards buying it used, simply because I'll get much more "bang for the buck".
Old 07-05-2007, 15:45   #130

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I wrote a lengthy reply and posted it in the wrong thread!!!

Ah, well, here it is! Sorry about the confusion for the other thread readers.....

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-7331-3.html
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 23:10   #131

Quote:
I wrote a lengthy reply and posted it in the wrong thread!!!
Thanks. It was a good read.

How is visibility from inside when seated? ... Can you see forward?
Old 08-05-2007, 05:03   #132

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Visibility going forward is through three large windows so it's excellent. When you are seated in the settee, you are facing aft (like every cat) or sideways. Your seated eye is about level with the lower rim of the windows. But frankly, in a storm, you wouldn't be sitting in the settee, you have a great forward looking nav station with L shaped desk and 6 ft of desktop/counter space. It's large enough actually for two to be seated there. If you were worried about a storm you could look down at the radar and gps, you have VHF and SSB right their for communications, and can look up and see completely around you. From the stools your eye is a little higher than the settee so you have great seated visibility. With most other cats you would have a galley in that location.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 19:21   #133

$220 for sailaway price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bean
Hey SettingSail2009.

You mentioned a whole list of specs earlier and were wondering if you could get them all. I think you will be able keep them all and have a few extra that you were not expecting

Check out these specs.
A brand new 38' starting at about US$220K for a sailaway.
Sorry Bean, new member here, your post caught my eye, as i've not seen any such pricing, and couldn't follow your quote by clicking. more info? thanks.
aloha dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 21:26   #134

Boat: Admiral 38 Catamaran - "GAIA"
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha dave
Sorry Bean, new member here, your post caught my eye, as i've not seen any such pricing, and couldn't follow your quote by clicking. more info? thanks.
The pricing is not on their website, but I have just bought one. The basic "sailaway" starts at approx $220 000 and the "Executive" with all the bells and whistles and then some... is around $340 000
The one we bought is a "Custom Owners Version", priced in between for approx $290 000. It just depends on all the extras you order.

You can email Craig for a quote if you want... craig@admiralyachts.co.za and please send him my regards.

Best wishes
Dave
Old 14-05-2007, 21:21   #135

Quote:
Visibility going forward is through three large windows so it's excellent.
This sounds really good.

I've done some checking around and was told that even the St. Francis MkII has a low bridedeck clearance (how high is it?), that there is insufficient headroom in places, the berths aft are small and it has 4 heads (I really wouldn't want more than 2). I'm very curious what you think about those points.

Is there a place where I can see a drawing of the lay-out? I've looked around, but can't seem to find any.