Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 01:24   #391

Re: Characteristics of a Circumnavigating Cat

Hi Andreas,

Interesting to hear your experience. I love the minerals from the ocean and is great for the skin just need to get all that salt off. I'll try the "towel right after" method next time. Problem is my water is 35 degrees celsius and as soon as you are out you are sweating.

As far as broken water makers go maintenance yes but always repairs? Maybe they had old ones. Still if you can manage without spending all the money then it is the way to go.

Happy cruising!
Tropical Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 04:07   #392

Andreas
Just read the thread from first post, and found it most informative. It seems to me that you did good analysis, but actual cruising experience differed a little from expectations. Also, you bought a new boat - prototype and perhaps discounted a bit, but basically new. And there is always high depreciation for the first owner. Our high AUD worked against you unfortunately, but I think you are right in being disappointed but not bitter about the resale. Its a tough market to sell in at present.

I notice that your list now indicates a 5' longer boat, which I think is the way to go. I'm not sure where CatManDo is with his build (and yes its power but I think many characteristics are similar) but think his plan of a "40' boat on 50' hulls" makes a lot of sense. If it works as he intends then I'd say a 45' boat on 55' hulls would be ideal in giving a lot more flexibility on layout and weight distribution. Then you might get some lounge chairs in the salon as well as galley and dinette.

I would be interested on your views on galley up versus down - which way would you go next time?
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 06:09   #393

Boat: Ovni 445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armagh View Post
I notice that your list now indicates a 5' longer boat, which I think is the way to go. I'm not sure where CatManDo is with his build (and yes its power but I think many characteristics are similar) but think his plan of a "40' boat on 50' hulls" makes a lot of sense. If it works as he intends then I'd say a 45' boat on 55' hulls would be ideal in giving a lot more flexibility on layout and weight distribution.
I completely agree. I would also really focus on a lot space outside, because I really didn't have much need for my spacious salon. In fact I think I can count on two hands the number of times we used it in the course of 2 years (other than on passages, where it was used if the weather got rough). In cold weather, sure, but in hot weather, forget it ... being outside is 10 times better. Though having proper sun shielding is essential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armagh View Post
I would be interested on your views on galley up versus down - which way would you go next time?
Galley up all the way. I wouldn't even contemplate a galley down. It's more social when it's up and it's easier to pitch in a hand with the cooking. Not to mention that on passages, there were a number of times when the only reason we got food was because the galley was up. It's much better to cook in a galley up when you can see the horizon. It also tends to be easier to ventilate. That's my take anyways, after doing a couple of 3 week passages and numerous shorter ones sailing from Norway to Oz.
Old 29-05-2011, 04:48   #394

Boat: Westerly 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SettingSail2009 View Post
I completely agree. I would also really focus on a lot space outside, because I really didn't have much need for my spacious salon. In fact I think I can count on two hands the number of times we used it in the course of 2 years (other than on passages, where it was used if the weather got rough). In cold weather, sure, but in hot weather, forget it ... being outside is 10 times better. Though having proper sun shielding is essential.

Galley up all the way. I wouldn't even contemplate a galley down. It's more social when it's up and it's easier to pitch in a hand with the cooking. Not to mention that on passages, there were a number of times when the only reason we got food was because the galley was up. It's much better to cook in a galley up when you can see the horizon. It also tends to be easier to ventilate. That's my take anyways, after doing a couple of 3 week passages and numerous shorter ones sailing from Norway to Oz.
Hi Andreas,
If you were to do the trip to Oz again, would you ever consider doing it with a monohull or are you still convinced that cats are the way to go? There is so much more choice when it comes to monos and you seem to get more bang for your buck in the second hand market at least.
Budawang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 07:27   #395

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Budawang, Cat's have about 50% more useable interior space compared to an equivalent length mono. So you would have to compare a 60' mono to a 40' cat to get a somewhat valid comparison. You live in this space so this is the most important number. Comparing LOA really is irrelevant. It all comes down to money. If you have less than $175,000 the cat selection is very few so monos or tris become just about the only option. With the exception of some of the older cats like Catalac I doubt you will find a cruising cat for under $100,000 and those will need lots of work. You will find tons of monos for that. I have more info. Send me a private message if you want more. BOB
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 07:33   #396
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SettingSail2009 View Post
Galley up all the way. I wouldn't even contemplate a galley down.
And I would not contemplate a galley up, at any cost under any circumstances.

Its great that there is choice in life isnt it. Not sure about the Fast cat, but one thing I have noticed is that Galley up boats also seem to have helm positions up higher, so the cook is part of the action but the poor old helms person isnt. Seems twisted priorities to me.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 11:07   #397

Boat: Ovni 445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budawang View Post
If you were to do the trip to Oz again, would you ever consider doing it with a monohull or are you still convinced that cats are the way to go?
For me, cats are the way to go in warmer climates. If I was sailing in Northern latitudes I would go for a monohull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budawang View Post
There is so much more choice when it comes to monos and you seem to get more bang for your buck in the second hand market at least.
I agree with Bob:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Cat's have about 50% more useable interior space compared to an equivalent length mono. So you would have to compare a 60' mono to a 40' cat to get a somewhat valid comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Not sure about the Fast cat, but one thing I have noticed is that Galley up boats also seem to have helm positions up higher, so the cook is part of the action but the poor old helms person isnt. Seems twisted priorities to me.
Which boats have you noticed this on?
I would agree if you say the BIG charter cats (where you potentially have crew), but on most normal cruising cats with galley up, the helm position is right in the middle of the action, at least if you look at: FastCat, Fountain Pajot, Lagoon, Outremer, Catana ...
Old 29-05-2011, 14:25   #398

Boat: Westerly 43

I'm planning to buy a boat stateside, sail it across the Pacific and sell in Oz. I'm not expecting to make money, but it would be nice if I'm not out of pocket too much. I'm Australian, so I won't have the exchange rate risk to deal with. My budget is also quite limited.

I have my eye on this cat: 1995 Catana 381 Sail New and Used Boats for Sale - au.yachtworld.com

It's recently crossed the Atlantic so it's got the bells and whistles for bluewater cruising. Does this look like a good deal?
Budawang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 17:21   #399

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

All the Catanas are good boats and well built. This 381 is practically turn key Fuel, food, and booze and you are ready. Good Luck BOB
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 17:55   #400

Budawang
Looks to be pretty good, but only limited info posted. I'd suggest you find at least one other to look at and make a trip. A friend who imported recently is happy enough but did say one mistake was to only look at one boat (after lots of online research). Looking at a couple of alternatives in person will soon tell you whether its good value of not.

Good luck,
Brian
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 10:56   #401
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
All the Catanas are good boats and well built. This 381 is practically turn key Fuel, food, and booze and you are ready. Good Luck BOB
Catana had a few bad years maybe n the late 90's and early 2000's. Had some delam. problems and problems with secondary bonds, if i remember correctly.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 07:46   #402

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
And I would not contemplate a galley up, at any cost under any circumstances.

Its great that there is choice in life isnt it. Not sure about the Fast cat, but one thing I have noticed is that Galley up boats also seem to have helm positions up higher, so the cook is part of the action but the poor old helms person isnt. Seems twisted priorities to me.
Unless....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Langkawi 042.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	27929  
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 14:17   #403
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

You got me there!!
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 23:39   #404

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
Hi Andreas - As for shallow water access, the deepest part of a dagger board cat is usually the rudders - and depending on the cat, these can be just about as deep as mini keels on a non-board cat. For example, the rudders on my boat are about 1,1 meters deep.

Dave
If you're going to use daggerboards for shallow water access, you'd be crazy not to pair them with kick-up rudders so you can simply beach yourself.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:26   #405

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Unless....
mikereed100,

Do you know anything about the catamaran? What is it? Does it have a forward cockpit? and how does the aft-cockpit look like? I think that it looks interesting.

Thanks.

Simon
simons is offline   Reply With Quote