Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2008, 17:52   #1

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
changing a spruce timber mast to aluminum

Hi i`m trying to find information to upgrade a 39ft from water line Spruce timber construction mast, I would like to change it to aluminum but have no idea how much it would cost but I know it would be worth it.
I need your experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mast.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	4830  
sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 20:39   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
You'll need to re-rig the boat to do it but I don't see it being that hard to do. It would of course change the wiring up the mast and some of the issues with the main sail. Not sure about where you are or the details of that you hope to do. If you understand the idea of pulling the mast the rest is not that hard. I have not priced a new mast and boom lately though. Some rough dimensions would be in order as well as more specifics on the boat.

I'm sure we could connect you up with someone local to yourself. We have members darn near every place worth being.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 22:52   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Time to think and make notes...

I would suggest having a careful think about what you want. Your question is really like asking "How long is a piece of string?".

Suggestions:-
1) Find the Ixx and Iyy dimensions for your proposed mast. Most mast "makers" will be able to work these out for you. Make a note as every time you talk to someone they will want to know these numbers. Basically they indicate how stiff the mast is to be.
2) Do a sketch of what you want. On your sketch show :-
i) Where each piece of fixed rigging attaches to the mast.
ii) What running rigging is needed
iii) All key dimensions. Ask the mast makers what they need.
iv) All parts that are to attach to the mast. Include steaming, masthead and spreader lights, together with any VHF aerials, SSB aerials etc. Don't forget the hardware that takes the wire from these inside the boat. If you have special requirements for spinnaker/whisker poles or sail track make a note. Jiffy reefing would also be marked.
v) How the boom is to be arranged. This includes any jiffy reefing and bolt rope/sail track and where and how the mainsheet is attached.
Try to get your sketch into digital form (JPEG?) so you can email it to mastmakers/riggers/sailmakers etc.
3) When discussing this with the mast makers ask if they can do the installation/rigging. If they can't then you will need a local rigger.
4) This is a good time to decide if you want a sail bag or roller reefing. Discussion with a sailmaker may be indicated.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 23:28   #4

Pblais
Paul, It was built in Germany and sailed to Qld Australia it was built in 91 and a very stable catamaran she has been sitting for a year,
No one whats her with Spruce timber mast and now there are a lot of other problem coming in to the equation due to no maintance so im trying to work out costs to see the value to put in an offer.
Old 01-09-2008, 16:56   #5

Well Boracay I liked reading your Blog

After months of trying to get info on this cat I gave up and put an offer in 20k less and got a reply 3hr later saying yes (subject to sea trial and survey to my SATISFACTION and its listed in my contract to) So now i have to find Townsvile Qld and go and have a look.
I would still like to know aproxamate cost for mast and sails ect ANYONE but the surveyor should help with that. if its sea worthey I will then provision up and sail to melbourne if I can find a mooring cheapest so far is 6k out in western port bay Anyone know cheeper.
I would like to drop in to Sydney and visit you Boracay

Tags
mast