Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2008, 17:28   #1

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Chafe on the tramp netting...

(This is Schooner-dog's wife hijacking his account again...)

I want to add a layer of fabric to the center of our tramp netting where the anchor chain runs. There is a "reenforcement" there -- but I want to add some extra protection.

Any ideas on what type of cloth would be ideal for the job? I don't know much about fabrics, I just want to figure out what to buy to fasten in there... or other ideas...?

Thanks!
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 19:22   #2

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
you might look at heavy duty truck tarp material its a combo of fabric and some kind of plastic when I made tramps for my try it was the material that rimed the netting- very tough stuff. I believe its listed in sailrite catalogue
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 10:27   #3

Have a look at Ultrex. It's breathable, water proof, and abrasion resistant. For durability, you may want to consider a layer of neoprene as a base, and cover it with Ultrex for it's abrasion resistant qualities while still allowing the neoprene to breathe to prevent mildew.

h20 fabrics
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 07:41   #4
cruiser

An entirely new tramp concept -

I had a bright idea recently. Why have a woven tramp when you could make it of separate straps ( Polyester Webbing 2" - I have no connection to them,) held on with custom fittings? I have my own metal shop, ( Metal Art Sculpture, Steel Sculpture by Tim Dunn ,) so custom fittings are a cheap option for me. I think I'd price this even if I didn't. Each strap would be held with a simple fitting consisting of a metal strap with a bolting point for a 1/4" stainless bolt, and three horizontal slots - rather like what you would see on a backpack. A 1/8" thick stainless steel metal strap just 1/2" wider than the polyester strap material with a 10,000 pound breaking strength is just as strong as the strap. You'd never have to buy a tramp again, and you wouldn't put off replacement of any chafed part. Threads are said to be the most vulnerable part of a strap-based tramp, which is considered to be the strongest type. This concept has no thread at all. Further, for new boats, this simplifies attachment. You can have a completely leak-proof attachment by attaching fiberglass 'el's to bolt the straps to on the hulls by attaching the 'el's using fiberglass lamination and / or epoxy adhesive. This is how the tramps on BigCat 65 are going to be made. (Use black straps for UV protection, and spray with Formula 303 UV protectant from time to time, especially in the tropics.)
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 08:04   #5

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
How about Kevlar? It's extraordinarily resistant to abrasion. Trying to cut it with scissors is almost impossible. I'm not sure of its longevity in sunlight, but is IS used on high performance sails. Check with a sailmaker about some scraps and suggestions of how to attach it to the tramp.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 08:13   #6
cruiser

Kevlar - UV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
How about Kevlar? It's extraordinarily resistant to abrasion. Trying to cut it with scissors is almost impossible. I'm not sure of its longevity in sunlight, but is IS used on high performance sails. Check with a sailmaker about some scraps and suggestions of how to attach it to the tramp.
Kevlar has very low UV resistance - cover it with dense black cloth protected with Formula 303, used frequently if in the tropics. I've spent years it the tropics, and the damage UV does is amazing.
Old 27-06-2008, 09:17   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
If you can find some woven Dyneema your problem is solved 100 % UV resistance and excellent against chafing . I can also send you some Dyneema netting to put over the anchor chain if that solves your problem .
I have got some leftover pieces from making the trampolines out of it and am, happy to give it to you to try it out. ( no cost )

Let me know

Greetings

Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 12:48   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
... cover it with dense black cloth protected with Formula 303, used frequently if in the tropics...
You recommend a Homeopathic Muscle Relaxant (Formula 303*) as a UV block?

* Formula 303 Maximum Strength Natural Muscle Relaxant - 250 tablets for $29.95 and Specials !!!

I'd be more incline to use something like 303 Protectorant:
303 Products - Aerospace Protectant, High Tech Fabric Guard -* World's Leading Automotive Care Products

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 13:40   #9
cruiser

Red face You guys down in the S. Pacific spell funny.

Maybe being upside down causes the blood to rush to your brains and confuse you. See: 303 Products - Aerospace Protectant, High Tech Fabric Guard -* World's Leading Automotive Care Products and protectant - definition of protectant by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You recommend a Homeopathic Muscle Relaxant (Formula 303*) as a UV block?

* Formula 303 Maximum Strength Natural Muscle Relaxant - 250 tablets for $29.95 and Specials !!!

I'd be more incline to use something like 303 Protectorant:
303 Products - Aerospace Protectant, High Tech Fabric Guard -* World's Leading Automotive Care Products
Old 27-06-2008, 15:19   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Maybe being upside down causes the blood to rush to your brains and confuse you. See: protectant - definition of protectant by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
Though I'm nearer the top of the world (Canada); I seem to have an ample blood supply to my brain. It's both confuses me, and enhances my grammatical creativity.
Ya gots me good.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 15:43   #11
cruiser

Hemispheres

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Though I'm nearer the top of the world (Canada); I seem to have an ample blood supply to my brain. It's both confuses me, and enhances my grammatical creativity.
Ya gots me good.
Now, if only the hemispheres of my brain can keep the hemispheres of the planet straight, I'll be happy. You guys way north spell funny, too, though.
Old 27-06-2008, 20:56   #12

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
The suppliers of commercial tow ropes use multiple layers of cordura nylon sheaths at the eye where it gets attached to a ship. It's not the most UV resistant, so I think the "Weblon" (PVC covered polyester) suggested earlier is your best bet. Thanks for bringing this up, I've got to worry about this on our own boat.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 17:52   #13

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Thanks for all of the great ideas! When I have it all figured out and installed I will take some pics and post them with the results!
Cheers
Cindy
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote