Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2015, 07:31   #16
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Cats that do not feel like a coffin

maybe you should consider going to the other side to avoid the twin coffins? you know the monohull wide body models
Old 28-01-2015, 13:20   #17

Interesting replys. We have been full time cruising on our Seawind 1160 for three years now. Not just good visibility, airflow, and room in the salon, but also in the hulls as well. We chose the Seawind 1160 because as a sailor for fifty years, and as an engineer it seemed to me to be one of the safest catamarans in the 38 to 43 foot class. We have a down galley which is still a part of the social structure beginning in the salon. This is possible because the sides of the salon are open to the hulls, not just a small companion way fron salon to hull, which is more typical. We also use sun screens in very high sun, although unless actually sailing, with all hatches open, the air flow usually is enough. I have always been suspect of large horizontal windows and windows with horizontal louvers. Both seem to me to be problems in green water and possible breaking waves. I know of at least one cat with louvers that had its salon windows completely stove in.
Anyway, I would at least look at the Seawind 1160 or the new 1160Lite.
egsellix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 17:53   #18

Boat: 9.2 S2 Center Cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
maybe you should consider going to the other side to avoid the twin coffins? you know the monohull wide body models
LOL We already own a 30' coffin, although with 6-4 standing headroom, it doesn't feel opressive. Of course, from the outside. it resembles a wedding cake
CaliforniaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 17:54   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by egsellix View Post
Interesting replys. We have been full time cruising on our Seawind 1160 for three years now. Not just good visibility, airflow, and room in the salon, but also in the hulls as well. We chose the Seawind 1160 because as a sailor for fifty years, and as an engineer it seemed to me to be one of the safest catamarans in the 38 to 43 foot class. We have a down galley which is still a part of the social structure beginning in the salon. This is possible because the sides of the salon are open to the hulls, not just a small companion way fron salon to hull, which is more typical. We also use sun screens in very high sun, although unless actually sailing, with all hatches open, the air flow usually is enough. I have always been suspect of large horizontal windows and windows with horizontal louvers. Both seem to me to be problems in green water and possible breaking waves. I know of at least one cat with louvers that had its salon windows completely stove in.
Anyway, I would at least look at the Seawind 1160 or the new 1160Lite.
That looks like a really great design! Thanks for the advice.
Old 28-01-2015, 18:42   #20

With those big fold-up doors, how do you keep insects out of the Seawind 1160?
Old 28-01-2015, 21:26   #21

We have friends with a 1250, essentially pretty similar to the 1160, they have flyscreens which fit right across the triple door, weighted down at the bottom with some lead. Seems to work well.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 22:53   #22

Boat: Catana 472

Catana
sail2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 00:00   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
We have friends with a 1250, essentially pretty similar to the 1160, they have flyscreens which fit right across the triple door, weighted down at the bottom with some lead. Seems to work well.
can I asked where you got your flyscreens from? I need some of those for my regular slider. thanks!
drewvta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 00:06   #24

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

A lot of those screens are sold in Australia in the $2 type shops.The ones I have seen have been screwed into the outside and top frames of the door way and they open in the middle like a curtain but are kept closed with a number of opposing small magnets so simply pull apart and walk through.Seen them for around $10 AUD.
Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 02:21   #25

What cats have you been on that feel coffin like?

Other than in some of the staterooms, an some really old British designs, Even the worst main cabins are open an airy with lots of light.

Even in our little Gemini which someone suggested as not having good lighting, we have a 5' window down each side, 3 large 2' square windows across the back, the main windshield above, a couple of smaller side windows and then with 2 bulkhead openings forward allowing light and view out the lower secondary windshield.

We actually spend more effort limiting light (and the associated greenhouse effect) than trying to get more.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 02:58   #26

I would suggest charter a couple different designs. You will find you spend very little time below in the hulls if galley up, sleeping and head use only. About it 90% of your awake time is on bridge deck or top side. Much different from a monohull. As mentioned above we do all we can do to keep it dark below.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sailingcouple13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 12:21   #27

Boat: Leopard 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingcouple13 View Post
I would suggest charter a couple different designs. You will find you spend very little time below in the hulls if galley up, sleeping and head use only. About it 90% of your awake time is on bridge deck or top side. Much different from a monohull. As mentioned above we do all we can do to keep it dark below.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Great suggestion. We hardly spend any time awake in our hulls. Somedays I never go down below from 8am to 10pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-02-2015, 21:32   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
A lot of those screens are sold in Australia in the $2 type shops.The ones I have seen have been screwed into the outside and top frames of the door way and they open in the middle like a curtain but are kept closed with a number of opposing small magnets so simply pull apart and walk through.Seen them for around $10 AUD.
Chris
Wouldn't those magnets potentially interfere with compasses?
rgesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 21:50   #29

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesner View Post
Maybe they do but are quite small and no one I know that has them fitted has commented,.But then again they are probably like me and forget there is actually a compass on board.
Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 23:38   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesner View Post
They're pretty weak magnets, and would need to be pretty close to the compass to interfere. You'd get far stronger magnetic fields from your autopilot motor, your fridge compressor, etc etc.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote