Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2007, 08:15   #1
DWT

Catana Owners:

How about all of you that own a Catana out there. Anyone like to share their ups and downs with this make of boat?

I will be doing an open water test next week on what I hope is my new boat, a 1992 40' Catana multihull sailboat. It needs alot of work but I am up for it.

These cat, having daggerboards are to point 5 to 7 degrees into the wind better than a monihull. Can anyone verify that?

David
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:21   #2

Boat: Robertson & Caine Leopard 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWT
How about all of you that own a Catana out there. Anyone like to share their ups and downs with this make of boat?

I will be doing an open water test next week on what I hope is my new boat, a 1992 40' Catana multihull sailboat. It needs alot of work but I am up for it.

These cat, having daggerboards are to point 5 to 7 degrees into the wind better than a monihull. Can anyone verify that?

David
Would this happen to be the 40s in St. Pete?
bryanweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 13:13   #3
DWT

Yes it is. Do you know it.

David
Old 08-04-2007, 16:59   #4

I have been looking for a boat and this one keeps coming up on my "look at" list. I was going to make a trip to St. Pete (I'm from there, so I was going to combine a family visit and boat inspection), but have not gotten with my broker to find out more. I have been unable to find much info on this model other than it is designed by Lock Crowther, has a slightly lower bridgedeck than newer Catanas, and has a different window/port layout.

The price seems good for a Catana, but that is also weighed against condition. Since I am in San Diego I will either have to sail it home or have it transported, both options are big factors that would discourage me to get any boat far from the west coast.

Keep me posted on what you find and if you are going to go for it. Good luck.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:42   #5
DWT

Bryan,

I am heading up tomarrow morning to do an open water test run on the 40' Catana. A mech. looked over the twin Volvo's and he feels good about them. A surveyor has completed about half of a walk thru and will complete the rest of it on Wed. trip to the boat yard to pull it and check the bottom.
I was up around St. Pete about 3 weeks ago and looked at it. I found the owner in town. He gave me a walk thru.... 3 hours, and came away feeling like the boat had some good things added to it recently, the hull and equipment seem sound, but neglected in alot of other areas. It needs alot of cosmedic work plus, new galley, stove, counter top, etc. 1 head remains and needs gutting and redone, the other is a.... so called work shop. My wife would like both to work, we'll see.
Between 1970 and 1980 I was a Evenrude and OMC sterndrive mech. I am presently a Contractor of 20 years and have done a lot of remodeling. And just completly redone a 69 30' Morgan so fixing old boat is not new to me and I see a lot of time to put this boat in shape for what I think it should look like.
So if all check out in the next few days I will take it. I live on Big Pine Key in the Florida Keys just approx. 150 miles south of St. Pete. Should be a great ride back if I got a east wind.
Yes I did see that the bridge is not as high as the other Catana's. And would like a little more HP on the engines but...... love that new hard top, 2'5" draft, daggerboards, new 12 volt dbl. A/C, 3 new solar palels, 1100 amp house bank, and all that room and more and .....it is fast.

David
Old 09-04-2007, 11:07   #6

David,

Sounds like a deal. Hope everything checks out. Just like buying a fixer house, you look at the things that you can easily do and use them as bonus bargaining power.

I wish I can find something similar: structurally & mechanically sound, refitted, but needing some work that does not affect function or safety, and easy to get home. I wish you the best, and hope the deal is a sweetheart.

I knew Charlie Morgan Jr. when we went to school together and later 4-wheeling of all things. Maybe there someone in St. Pete will have a soft spot for your Morgan.

Good luck
Old 12-04-2007, 17:20   #7

Boat: Morgan Nelson / Marek 36
Bryan, I purchased a '93 Catana in Florida and have some info on getting the boat back to California, My Catana is currently in Channel Islands boatyard being repaired from the numerous accidents sustained while sailing from Ft. Pierce to Channel Islands, amoung these was being hit by another boat that dragged anchor in Panama, and having the anchor chain break in Turtle Bay and going up on the rocks. Still even with the damage which the insurance company has declined payment for it was cheaper than trucking or float on/off container ship.
West Coast Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 18:10   #8

I have been getting a "rule of thumb" type of cost of about $25k to get a boat from Fla. to San Diego via Dockwise. I really would like to find something out here, but pickings are pretty slim, as you well know. I'm even starting to consider most anything as long as it is already on the pacific side.

Sounds like your trip home was quite an adventure. While all the bad was happening, did you have second thoughts about not just putting it on a ship and avoiding the aggravation?
Old 12-04-2007, 18:21   #9

Boat: Morgan Nelson / Marek 36
Trucking was about 26K, not including hauling the boat, pulling the mast, etc. The float on / off container ship was about 23K, but they drop the boat in Ensenada. This option, as it turns out would have been the best due to the damage and wear and tear to the boat - its like 5200 miles. Had I known now I would have shipped this way. Sailing on its own bottom I had pricing from 9K ( a local San Diego guy ) to 35K all plus expenses.
West Coast Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2007, 02:22   #10

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Plus sailing it back is fun. I've done a couple of deliveries on that route where the owner got a real kick out of joining in for some or all of the fun. (And I'll definitely do it cheaper than the numbers you are giving)
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catana