Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2010, 06:42   #1

Catana 42 or Outremer 42

Hello,

I know that choosing a boat (multihull or not) is in the end a matter of personal choice and, most important, a compromise. However, after a long and arduous research I think I am left with these two options on my list.

What I plan to do is a couple of years of coastal cruising in places far away from "civilized cruising routes" (because that's where I live and because I don’t have that much sailing experience yet) - the Black Sea in the beginning, Adriatic later and so on and then go for ocean voyages. The crew would be 3 people max. What would you choose and why. I would appreciate any positive (and negative) feedback.

Thanks a lot.
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 07:32   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
The Catana has more volume, but is heavier and slower but still faster than most. The Outremer is faster but more spartan. The Catanas have a nicer interior finish but you will pay for that. Both are fine boats. So do you want a a slower but nicer interior finished boat or a faster but plainer boat? Both are fine boats and will outsail most.
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 12:15   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Both are seaworhty and nice boats but I would go for Outremer because of the exposed helm station of CAtana that I hate..

One note on Black sea; it might be much dangereous than you would have thought. Turkish coast are beatiful, but very few shelters if you want to escape form very short, breaking and relatively high seas. The northern part Ucraine, Russia is said to be very bureaucratic and very little infrastructure for yatchs.

Good luck

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 23:06   #4

Good point on the exposed helm. Now that you mentioned it, I remember having read about this issue somewhere else

Thank you for the advice on the Black Sea. I live in Romania, so I am quite used with/ aware of crappy bureaucratics and corruption. I don't plan to venture north to Ucraine, but south to Bulgaria and Turkey. About the infrastructure I am "proud" to say that we have 3 (yes, THREE) marinas in Romania. It sucks, I know, but there is little I can do. Things get better as you go south.
Old 17-10-2010, 16:10   #5

Boat: Outremer 5X
I don't think you can go wrong with either of these boats, but I would really encourage you to sail both of them, and also a boat with a raised/protected helm station before you decide. I was sure I would never buy a Catana because of the exposed helm, until I chartered protected helm cats and really hated them. With the cover open, I could only properly see the sail shape on one tack. With the cover in place, I was peering through a window and could see even less.

Since most cruisers don't care about tweaking sail trim for performance it's not an issue. But for me it is. I have sailed NACRA cats and monos for years, and love to get them dialed into the wind. Basically I wanted a boat which would give me the option of sailing it like a mono when I wanted the sensation of performance sailing and to use the autopilot remote control from the covered cockpit or salon when I didn't. That's why I bought a Catana.

Since the two boats you are considering are performance oriented, I figured you might care about this. As others have said, it's really a personal choice. I think it's great that there are so many different styles of boat for us to choose from.

Good luck.
Poozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 23:24   #6

Yes, I will try to do that. In fact I won't buy any of them untill I had a little sea trial including choppy sea and pointing as hard as possible upwind .

On a different aspect, I have recently asked Outremer about a propshaft drive option on the 42 model and they said it is not possible. I am not sure if this applies to the electric model aswell. From what I have read in the diesel vs hybrid article on their website, it is possible to mount a propshaft version on the electric model. I will do some further research. I have no ideea about this issue on catana models. I will try to ask them aswell.

What I have in mind is ocean passages (someday, after I get confortable with my sailing skills and my boat) but speed and performance is a top factor in my opinion. In the end it will be a fine balance between what I really need and what i can live without.

P.S: That plastic cover (regardless of boat type) is really annoing.
Old 03-02-2012, 17:19   #7

Re: Catana 42 or Outremer 42

Catana is fine boat. Exposed helm bothers me too. But i am willing to be bothered if i own a Catana. I can contend to get burnt under the sun, all ocean spray can make me wet.
Just give me one you can even rip my nails off.
trgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 17:28   #8

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
P.S: That plastic cover (regardless of boat type) is really annoing.
You clearly don't live in the tropics. For those of us who do getting out of the sun to avoid sun cancer is very important and a high priority.

When you do venture into the tropics down the track you will need shade.

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:05   #9

Boat: FP Mahe 36

It seems to me that your choices are based on very little experience about cats,, you may want to give some thoughts to some other factors: most sailors spend 90 % of their time aboard at anchor or dock, a free flowing (no steps) cockpit to saloon is very high in the admiral's view, protected from the elements, air flow in the saloon, galley up is a must, clear view above the raised dinghy, square seating both in the saloon and cockpit is way more comfortable and easier to sleep or lounge in, an inline berth for ease of access or egress to do anchor watch without climbing over your mate, most cats will sail at least as fast as most monohulls so speed is not high on the list, yes the Catana and Outremer have a lot to offer but they require the most in compromises at anchor... but that's only my point of view... the important thing is to get outthere... have fun
Old 05-02-2012, 08:11   #10
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Seems as of your priorities have Change as a little over a year ago speed was a top priority. What changed your mind?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 16:05   #11

Boat: between boats

I had the opportunity to see an outremer 45 side by side with a catana 47 on hard stands the other day . was very instructive for me.

lets just say i now know why outremers are so fast - they are built VERY light. I could flex the hulls by hand and knocking the composite felt very light. the catana sounded and felt very solid on the other hand.

Didnt see inside but judging by the size of hulls accomodation would be pretty tight in the outremer too.

I dont mind the helm possie on the catana either as for long periods ill be on the autopilot.

For me the comparison made it pretty clear which way ill go between these two at least and up until i did the side by side I had the outremer in front.

my 2c
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 16:23   #12
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra
I had the opportunity to see an outremer 45 side by side with a catana 47 on hard stands the other day . was very instructive for me.

lets just say i now know why outremers are so fast - they are built VERY light. I could flex the hulls by hand and knocking the composite felt very light. the catana sounded and felt very solid on the other hand.

Didnt see inside but judging by the size of hulls accomodation would be pretty tight in the outremer too.

I dont mind the helm possie on the catana either as for long periods ill be on the autopilot.

For me the comparison made it pretty clear which way ill go between these two at least and up until i did the side by side I had the outremer in front.

my 2c
I think the Outremer 45's hulls are solid glass, no coring.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 16:25   #13

Boat: between boats

makes sense as the flex wud be a worry on composite. the owner apparently complains about all the noise when trying to sleep on it ie water slapping against solid glass much louder than composite. its why hes selling apprently and just goes to show a day test sail wont answer all your questions.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 16:42   #14

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I think all the Outs are solid FG except maybe the 49 and 5X. I guess The Outs are just made to flex. On the plus side I have never heard of core problems, because there is none. Never heard of any hull or deck problems either. I think they are or were just about the only modern boat with solid FG. Mostly good except for the noise part. Catanas good too but different.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:34   #15

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Both are fast cats the new Outremer's have 3 helm positions including a wheel inside out of the weather and tillers for fast sailing in ok weather.

Tags
catana, outremer