Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2012, 17:34   #1
Lt.

Catameran Trailer Sailor?

Are there any? Are they popular at all? Are they practical? How big can you get them? Any and all other information is heplful. Are there any trimeran tailor sailors? Same questions for the tris.
Lt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 17:47   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: catameran trailer sailor?

A recent discussion.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ser-80248.html
Old 18-05-2012, 17:49   #3

Boat: Celestial 48
Corsair Marine and Farrier. Very popular, fast, not cheap. Fun
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 18:12   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

There are a lot of easily trailerable catamarans suitable for day use.

If you are looking for short-term cruising, I think you will find more suitable trimarans.

I've owned a trailerable tri and mono. My opinion is that for protected weekend "cruising" there are many good options in both categories.

In terms of an easy to trailer, easy to launch cruiser suitable for extended cruising to the islands or offshore with a couple people or more, I'm convinced there is no such thing.

Just my 2 cents worth - I'm sure others feel differently.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 18:20   #5

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

There are a lot of easily trailerable catamarans suitable for day use.

If you are looking for short-term cruising, I think you will find more suitable trimarans.

I've owned a trailerable tri and mono. My opinion is that for protected weekend "cruising" there are many good options in both categories.

In terms of an easy to trailer, easy to launch cruiser suitable for extended cruising to the islands or offshore with a couple people or more, I'm convinced there is no such thing.

Also consider the costs of a tow vehicle and trailer suitable for transporting a a boat that is by most ocean cruising standards still very small. I think in many circumstances, getting a bigger boat, better suited to cruising and using the money you would have spent on a trailer and vehicle for boat storage makes more sense.

Certainly, there are situations in which trailerable boats make sense, but for cruising beyond protected waters, I think trailerable boats often mean the worst of both worlds rather than the best of both worlds.

Just my 2 cents worth - I'm sure others feel differently.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 12:40   #6
Lt.

So trimeran trailer sailors seem to, in general, be better? And another question, would you take one of them with you on a longer, COASTAL trip, or a short blue water hop from island to island in Caribbean?
Lt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 19:25   #7

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. View Post
So trimeran trailer sailors seem to, in general, be better? And another question, would you take one of them with you on a longer, COASTAL trip, or a short blue water hop from island to island in Caribbean?
What you need to ask is not what someone else would do, but what you can or would do.

Realistically the F31 is probably the biggest cruiser you can trailer without specialized vehicles that can be put together and put in the water (and reverse the process) that you can find for sale. There are guys who have single handed them from Florida to the Bahamas, Greater and Lesser Antilles, Windward and Leeward Islands and back. There are also guys who only go out on fresh water lakes in under five knots.

There are probably great deals on other boats but they tend to be few and far between. But it is possible to deal with longer setup/breakdown times and smaller interiors in the case of some boats. Guys have spent several months cruising the Bahamas in Stiletto 27 cats.

Personally I could camp out on a Stiletto 27 mostly sleeping on the deck while near the coast. I could also spend a few months cruising the Bahamas on an F31, but I doubt I could last that long on the Stiletto. Those are both boats I have actually been on. There is no substitute for being on a boat to determine how you personally would evaluate its cruising ability.

As others who have experience with other boats have pointed out different folks evaluate the cruising and towing/setup/breakdown ability differently.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 19:43   #8

Boat: Tomcat 6.2

I have a TomCat 6.2 (21') that can be trailered. I do keep mine in a yard over the winter and in a slip for the summer. You may be able to find one in a resale.

www.tomcatboats.com
Baybaby53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:29   #9

Boat: building small boats at present

Be real about it, aside from all the hype from new age fantastic plastic and composite panels. 20hp multipurpose boat that can take a bump , produce a good turn of speed, be used as a caravan in transit, ROSS TURNER nailed it years ago!!!
freelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:00   #10

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelife View Post
Be real about it, aside from all the hype from new age fantastic plastic and composite panels. 20hp multipurpose boat that can take a bump , produce a good turn of speed, be used as a caravan in transit, ROSS TURNER nailed it years ago!!!
I assume you are talking about the J5 or J6.

Duck Flat Wooden Boats

These Turner designs are easy to tow because of their size. This is a double edge sword. Small light boats are just that, small and light. There is little room for water, gas, food, toys, and room to get out of the weather.

For lots of folks these boats are more like day sailers you would be camp/cruising in. While some folks may have the ability to sail them on a passage like Miami to Bimini personally I would feel much safer in a larger boat.

Not to say a boat like this does not have a place or that for some folks it is a good fit. But when the OP mentioned island hopping in one pose I eliminated boats of this type.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 21:26   #11

Boat: building small boats at present
Re: Catameran Trailer Sailor?

TIKI 21, TIKI 26, TIKI 30, Light, Safe, Fast and will take you wherever your experience and ability allows. Unless you would prefer to pay through the nose for a production boat?
freelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 17:21   #12

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Catameran Trailer Sailor?

I was searching here and found a MacGregor 36 which is a demountable and trailerable cat for $10,000. Needs some work. They are fast.
Catamaran - Boats Classifieds - Claz.org