Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2013, 07:58   #1

Catamarans under $150k

The admiral and I love the Gemini 105MC, but with the vast amount of knowledge on here, I thought I'd ask and maybe we can find a better option.

Price is the kicker for us (two disabled vets that live off the meager payments). We prefer three berths as we only have a daughter (with no more to come). Something with as much room as we can get, but easy enough for two newbies to sail.

We're moving to the USVI in August and plan to buy one ASAP and liveaboard. Our eventual goal is a circumnavigation.

Not a fan of the Athena 38.

What other cats are out there?
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 08:52   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Catamarans under $150k

PDQ 36

pdq 36 Boats For Sale

PDQ 36 Capella

PDQ Capella Boats For Sale

Seawind 1000

seawind 1000 Boats For Sale

FP Mahe 36

mahe 36 Boats For Sale

Wildcat 35

Wildcat 35 (Sail) Multi-Hull Boats For Sale

FP Tobago 35

Tobago 35 Boats For Sale
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 09:00   #3

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
We're moving to the USVI in August and plan to buy one ASAP and liveaboard. Our eventual goal is a circumnavigation.

Not a fan of the Athena 38.

What other cats are out there?

The Gemini is also what came first to my mind. It's a proven design, and the fact that you see plenty of them for sale even as old as the 1990s gives you confidence that it lasts.

However, as a liveabord, I would think space would be a problem on a Gemini, unless you dedicated one of the aft cabins to storage space.

I love multi-hulls, but for the price range you are looking for and a liveabord I would seriously consider a monohull instead. It's amazing the good deals you can find for huge monohulls under 150K.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 09:10   #4

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Probably the best boat available for under $150k 1996 Privilege 37 Sail New and Used Boats for Sale - www.yachtworld.co.uk

Great owner's cabin. Will last forever as well.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 09:15   #5

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f64/1993-lagoon-37-tpi-built-owners-non-chartered-catamaran-89616.html

check this out
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 09:33   #6
Marine Service Provider

That is the million dollar questions. (or I suppose 150K question) Everyone is looking for a cat in the 150K price range... Over the past week I have show 3 different perspective buyers cats in that range... Most boats in that range are either older prouts or gemini's.

Nice boats in that price range do come up for sale now and then, but tend to sell extremely fast. If it is boat that has been on the market for more than 6 months in the under 150K price range there is sometimes a reason for that...

I normally tell people if they find a nice cat in the under 150K range be ready to jump on it... You can either pick your pricing or your timing, but rarely both...
FLLCatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 16:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post

The Gemini is also what came first to my mind. It's a proven design, and the fact that you see plenty of them for sale even as old as the 1990s gives you confidence that it lasts.

However, as a liveabord, I would think space would be a problem on a Gemini, unless you dedicated one of the aft cabins to storage space.

I love multi-hulls, but for the price range you are looking for and a liveabord I would seriously consider a monohull instead. It's amazing the good deals you can find for huge monohulls under 150K.
When it comes to storage, my wife and I are very much minimalists. We just spent 8 month living in Texas in a 24' camper. Add ten feet in length and double the width and were in a mansion

We are now in the process of selling almost everything we own that we had put in storage before our Texas trip (to make sure living simply was for us). I like the idea of less space to get cluttered up with crap. Been on and around boats since I was 3, so I do know how much clutter finds its way aboard, especially with an admiral and a 1yo!

I am slowly working my wife into the idea of a monohull (to keep options open). But as the admiral puts it "I don't want to spend my life on passage at an angle." Can't argue too much with the Mrs.
Old 15-05-2013, 16:25   #8

Great list! Gives me plenty of research to do!
Old 15-05-2013, 16:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
Probably the best boat available for under $150k 1996 Privilege 37 Sail New and Used Boats for Sale - www.yachtworld.co.uk

Great owner's cabin. Will last forever as well.
Definitely love the galley down
Old 15-05-2013, 18:46   #10

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Seawind 1000 or the XL version.
There can only be one.
And that's the one.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 18:57   #11

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
What dont you like about the athena?
Seawind is too open, good day , weekender charter boat but lacks creature comfort unless you enjoy life in a narrow hull.
Many boats in that price range why would anyone ever think a mono would be better if you can spend 125-150k???/banghead...
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 19:26   #12
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
What dont you like about the athena?
Seawind is too open, good day , weekender charter boat but lacks creature comfort unless you enjoy life in a narrow hull.
Many boats in that price range why would anyone ever think a mono would be better if you can spend 125-150k???/banghead...
Narrow hull equals performance. Creature comforts would include excellent ventilation without the use of an ac. Large open air salon with great visibility. Large galley. Large head. Master berth, salon and galley all locate on the center of pitch, means less motion at sea. The Seawind has all of these. Of course if you're looking for a boat to live on dockside, there may be better choices.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 01:17   #13

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
I am slowly working my wife into the idea of a monohull (to keep options open). But as the admiral puts it "I don't want to spend my life on passage at an angle." Can't argue too much with the Mrs.
If you want your wife to sail with you then forget the idea of a mono. If she has doubts - and it looks as though she has - then your life will be a misery every time you are on passage. Just imagine crossing the Pacific and having to listen to "I told you to buy a cat" for 2-3 weeks!

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote