Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-03-2012, 02:40   #31

Re: Catamarans on a Budget ... Can It Be Done ?

Mike Waller is one of many Australian catamaran designers which have wood/ply cored designs with nice round hulls for home builders. Instead of tons of composite panel designs its much more chipper to produce and its not balsa inside. I am not interesting in production cats especially I don't like Gemini - its a coastal cruiser. As I am furniture producer I have an advantage of working with wood and all machines available. So I am not going to build 3 years - most likely 2 max. Of course not everyone could do it. Resale value - 2008 produced same cat sold for something around 400000 AS. Actually when custom build cat could be with better quality than production.

Old 30-03-2012, 04:01   #32
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
I don't know why you mentioned an Iroquois as these were racers, not cruisers.
Over here they tended to be equipped with mast head floats - make of that what one will.

But although I can't see them being "Blue water" boats (leaving aside that someone always can / will take anything "Blue Water" from a bathtub to a boat made out of cheese - and some of them will even make it ashore again ).....nonetheless for a cheap (non-ply) small cat I think they would work very well in the right cruising area. At the asking price quoted in the previous advert (excepting any work / upgrades required or wanted) pretty much venturing into the disposable priced boat market .

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 04:58   #33

Boat: 1978 Prout Quest 31

http://www.jmboatstuff.com/index.php...roducts_id=262

check out this link, from the pictures it looks to be well cared for

I bought one of these 31' Prout with a 3k down payment and sailed it from Miami to Key West one week later. Yes there is work to be done on the boat, but the bones were good and it came with enough older serviceable , yet functionable equipment that to me was the right buy. I am presently living aboard in Key West on a mooring and work on the boat daily.

It is very possible to do. I'm able to do most all work myself. Yesterday was such a picture purfect day I went sailing instead of tackling the projects I had planned for the day. One of the keys to doing this is to "eat the elephant one spoon at a time, not all at once". I work and pay the bills, all else goes into the boat fund. A portion of my money each week goes into the boat and a portion goes into the savings account for big ticket items... currently saving for a haul-out and bottom paint. Don't give up the dream it can be done. Good Luck in your search
Old 30-03-2012, 05:02   #34
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybee22 View Post
....I bought one of these 31' Prout with a 3k down payment and sailed it from Miami to Key West one week later. ......
Ahhh... I know the boat you bought. Good luck with her. How's the drive leg?
Old 30-03-2012, 05:22   #35

Boat: 1978 Prout Quest 31

Tropic Cat, The drive leg actually is in better shape than I originally thought. When I cleaned out the boat I found spares in the deep dark, so I have put new seals in the lower unit and stopped the oil leak and also freed it up to the point it actually goes up and down easily. I have not been able as yet to free it up enough to pivot side to side easily, that will be addressed on haul-out. It will be pulled and completly re-worked at that time. I helped a friend with a MK ll on his Gemini re-build his recently and he will return labor on mine.

The first 4 months I had the boat I spent on a canal behind his house working on it. All deck leaks have been stopped and repaired properly and all rotten cabin soles have been replaced and the interior has been painted. Moved aboard 2 months ago. Give me another year and you would not know the boat.

I have 2 yrs until I retire and will then be cruising on her full time, by then I should have "the elephant" well eaten.
Old 30-03-2012, 05:52   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

The market in Aussie and NZ for a homebuilt/ one-off cat is much different than in the US. Of course, 10-15 years ago you would have no problems selling a good home built boat in the US but that same boat, well-maintained would be very difficult to sell today for 1/2 the money. While same vintage production cat would now be worth same money or more. The market is simply flooded with production cats and there aren't many Waller/ Grainger cats around in the US. I doubt you could ever get insurance/ loans on a wooden homebuilt. That's one main reason I'm only building 34' so I'll be able to afford to keep it a long time.

Just a note of caution supply/ demand wise if you need to be able to sell your boat for good money in several years even in OZ, keep an eye on all those production cats arriving from the Caribbean. There is an older FP 43 getting ready to leave St Augustine for QLD any day.

Cheers,
Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasafari View Post
Mike Waller is one of many Australian catamaran designers which have wood/ply cored designs with nice round hulls for home builders. Instead of tons of composite panel designs its much more chipper to produce and its not balsa inside. I am not interesting in production cats especially I don't like Gemini - its a coastal cruiser. As I am furniture producer I have an advantage of working with wood and all machines available. So I am not going to build 3 years - most likely 2 max. Of course not everyone could do it. Resale value - 2008 produced same cat sold for something around 400000 AS. Actually when custom build cat could be with better quality than production.
Old 30-03-2012, 06:10   #37
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Just a note of caution supply/ demand wise if you need to be able to sell your boat for good money in several years even in OZ, keep an eye on all those production cats arriving from the Caribbean. There is an older FP 43 getting ready to leave St Augustine for QLD any day.

Cheers,
Jeff
I agree completely Jeff. There's a Woods Transit 38 that's been for sale a very long time. It's a high quality, performance cruiser that sails like a dream, yet folks prefer a well know brand when it comes time to belly up and spend $300K ++ for a catamaran.
Old 30-03-2012, 07:39   #38

I agree with you Jeff. But I am living in EU and personally for me its easier to build rather than by. Anyway this is 38 ft boat. I checked prices here in Med. 10 years old 38-40 ft is starting in 150 k Euro. And haw you will sell it after 5-8 years and how much you will give for repairs. So for me this is the best choice. No problem with insurance - surveyors are for this. If you have perfect documentation, plans from licensed naval architect and all equipment for class A, it will be OK. I do not understand - why people thinking that using wood as core material is between layers of glass-epoxy is bad or old fashioned. PVC cores used only for weight and fast construction. Weight is not always the truth in production boats. Not mentioned that epoxy is much better than vynylesters resigns used in production boats. Actually this boat is stronger than most production cats and will be in good shape after more production cats will became craps. Of course we all have personal opinion so this my.
Old 30-03-2012, 16:39   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I live in Florida and have honestly not checked into the insurance thing, but know it was difficult for my good quality FRP monohull several years ago if over 20 years old. My Woods Vardo will be a low budget affair so I won't have insurance other than hopefully third party if I can get it.

I now have one complete hull with the exterior fiberglassed and all of the interior also fiberglassed with 3 oz glass prior to fitting the ply to the stringers.

Check out my blog: sailingcatamarans.blogspot.com
Old 30-03-2012, 16:52   #40

I used to own a 32-foot French ply cat called a Catsystems. It was homebuilt but very strong. Ply can be great if well built in the first place, epoxy coated, and maintained. Hard to insure as some have noted. We bought her for about $26K. We went through some of the worst weather I've ever been in offshore, breaking waves hitting the mainsail up around the first reef point, 30-foot seas, the decks completely underwater at times, etc. She stood up well, though I must admit to having moments of doubt. There are a few one-offs out there like that at low prices that are worth it. More common ones to look for are the Prouts, especially the 34 and 37, the Catalacs, especially the 9 meter, the old Iriquois, and a few others. The older Geminis weren't that well built, but people seem to love them and they go almost everywhere.
Old 31-03-2012, 11:41   #41

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

45' tri for $30,000 on CL in San Diego. I'll bet this one is a goodie.
2nd UPDATE! 45' Horstman Tri-Star Trimaran * Beach House/World Cruiser

Tags
budget

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: