Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2018, 05:46   #46

Re: Catamarans Lost South Of Equ. Over Past Years

John T, I would not necessarily limit the search to cats lost in the Southern hemisphere. It could have driftes on winds or currents. Of course, you would know the likelihood of that better than me.
Good luck in your search.
whosescow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 11:39   #47
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I do have photographs but do not have permission as yet to post them on an open forum."
PERMISSION? REALLY? To publish a photo of a wreck in a public location?

That only makes sense if the wreck is in a military base where there are laws prohibiting all photography. Sorry, guy, this quest just seems oddly put from start to finish. AFAIK there are no copyright or personal identity laws, in or out of the Berne Convention, that in any way restrict publishing a photo of a "public event" like a wreck.

Unless you're on a military base, in which case, they'd have already had that information.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 11:46   #48

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"I do have photographs but do not have permission as yet to post them on an open forum."

That only makes sense if the wreck is in a military base where there are laws prohibiting all photography. Sorry, guy, this quest just seems oddly put from start to finish. AFAIK there are no copyright or personal identity laws, in or out of the Berne Convention, that in any way restrict publishing a photo of a "public event" like a wreck.

Unless you're on a military base, in which case, they'd have already had that information.
If you take your own pictures of the wreckage, you can post them anywhere to your heart's content. If someone else took the pictures, they're his property, and using them without permission, even if not a violation of copyright law, is inappropriate.

What is wrong with you people? All the OP is doing is trying to solve a mystery, and be respectful of others rights in the process. Yet so many are questioning his motives, calling him odd. Get a life!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 05:39   #49

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I wanted to help solve the riddle but I am having a hard time making conclusions from the pics. Is the "v" that little strip just a few inches wide. I have seen those before somewhere. I think they might be called struts. At first I thought it might be an Island Spirit because they use foam core now (I don't know about the past) but those struts are more rounded. Nautitech has been using foam core in some or all models for 2 decades or longer and a 2006 Nautitech 40 was lost in the Indian Ocean in 2014. I can't find a really good pic of under the bridge deck but they sure look like they have those triangular struts. The padeye doesn't look right though.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-132218.html
Old 16-06-2018, 06:16   #50

Could that be Nautitech 40.2?
Old 16-06-2018, 06:21   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

here are the photos that i thought were most useful for identifying the construction materials used to build the catamaran.

after zooming in on one of the bulkheads i have realised that the core material probably is balsa,rather than foam as i had thought.

also in other photos you can see the backing material,with regular dots to allow resin to bleed through,and for alignment this would not be present in foam sheets.

in another photo there is evidence of what looks like nidacore pvc honeycomb core.

there is also the aprox 15-20cm V shaped strut centrally located on the underside of the bridge deck.

apart from that the bridge deck looks like the outer surface was laid up inside a mold,then had progressive layers of laminate ,core then laminate laid up which would indicate a production cat rather than a one off custom build..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	core material.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	171848   Click image for larger version

Name:	core material2.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	171849  

Name:	core material3.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	171850   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1[1].jpg
Views:	235
Size:	441.0 KB
ID:	171851  

Name:	image2[1].jpg
Views:	221
Size:	442.7 KB
ID:	171852  
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 06:55   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

Thanks for the replies!

Firstly, Sand Crab, the "V" section is hardly visible under the wreckage. I have tried to enlarge and lighten the photograph showing it, but I am no wiz doing such things - here is my attempt.

Name:	IMG_1862.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	171853
Also, that cat you mentioned appears to have been lost in the Red Sea off the coast of Sudan. I will attempt to get further information about that one also in the week ahead, but I doubt any wreckage would have escaped the Red Sea - but we never know!

I have had a number of PM's from folk and have been pointed to another cat that was capsized off the South African coast a few years back and have been told that the anti-fouling was red. It happened on June 15, 2011. I have been given the names of the rescue crew that saved the four crew on board and will try and get more information on this incident during this coming week.

I have also been in touch with Richard Woods regarding his designes, but he has simply replied that he doubts it was one of his designs. However, I have seen one of his Sagitta designs that had the trampoline track affixed to the front of the bridge-deck as shown in the photographs and also which had rounded internal doors. I will be popping into the RCYC this week and will go and check the construction of the different cats.

Atoll, your comments are appreciated and the thought that the core could be balsa is along what I originally thought. Some of it has been saturated and expanded and rotted. I will be speaking to a builder this week and will take the photographs with to se what he has to say or his thoughts on balsa / foam.

Once again, thanks for those of you that have some constructive input into the puzzle. Let's see who else can add something to help solve the riddle or puzzle. As I get off forum information, I will post it here for those interested.

John
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 07:07   #53

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
Blah blah blah blah blah

After completely misunderstanding the purpose of the guy’s thread, you pivoted to criticizing him for posing a question. Nice contributions! [emoji106]
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 07:11   #54

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

He doesn’t own the photographs. Jesus.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 07:47   #55

I was womdering how a boat could get from the Sudan to the Atlantic also. I think it does look more like the Woods than the Nautitech.

Atoll, could those resin dots also occur from perforated foam? Divinycell is that color. It just seems unusual to me to construct a boat with Nidacore and balsa.
Just wondering....
Old 16-06-2018, 08:13   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I was womdering how a boat could get from the Sudan to the Atlantic also. I think it does look more like the Woods than the Nautitech.

Atoll, could those resin dots also occur from perforated foam? Divinycell is that color. It just seems unusual to me to construct a boat with Nidacore and balsa.
Just wondering....
quite possibly,but as far as i know the backing sheet is glued on one side to the small end grain balsa blocks so that it is flexible and can be laid onto a curved surface,as well as holding the balsa together in a sheet.

with foam you would not need a backing sheet to hold it together if slots have been partially cut into the surface to accept a curve.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 15:49   #57

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
^
|
This!

I am totally baffled by the response of some people on this thread. The OP was being respectful of the intellectual property of the photographer by getting his permission before posting the pictures - why is that considered evasive? And suggesting ulterior motives is just as baffling. Get a grip people!
Exactly!
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 16:49   #58

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
If you take your own pictures of the wreckage, you can post them anywhere to your heart's content. If someone else took the pictures, they're his property, and using them without permission, even if not a violation of copyright law, is inappropriate.

What is wrong with you people? All the OP is doing is trying to solve a mystery, and be respectful of others rights in the process. Yet so many are questioning his motives, calling him odd. Get a life!
Absolutely, with the OP having a join date of 2008 and over 250 posts I would hardly infer he is some kind of troll.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 02:26   #59

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

This looks like the sort of damage one might sustain from being run over by a cargo vessel at full speed. The clean curved slice to the hull looks like the sort of damage a large screw might do. If that is the case--the people aboard had no chance.

However, vessels also get damaged on reefs--but this does not look like the sort of minced-up look that waves dragging glass composite and plastic to and fro over coral or rocks might produce. It looks too clean edged.

As for persons missing at sea over the last couple of years or so--the barnacles on this debris are not too badly encrusted and still quite small, so I do not think it has been in the ocean longer than a couple of years.

Three guys were sailing a Yacht to Phuket and never turned up--it was a Moorings I think, and a hull was spotted upturned, but has since disappeared.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 02:50   #60
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

Mike, thanks for your thoughts. This is definitely not Moorings A5130, the Leopard 44 you mention. The boat shown above has round topped internal doorways and a strange trampoline fixture method, very different to how R&C construct their cats.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, lost