Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2018, 05:59   #31

Re: Catamarans Lost South Of Equ. Over Past Years

First, the vast majority on this forum are cruisers.

The way you asked the question with evasive answers, oddly specific requests and not wanting to share full details suggests a forum trolling type activity. There are those who will come on ask a provocative question and then sit back and enjoy the fireworks.

The pictures do help a bit but I'm not sure what model. It does appear to be a cored hull which does narrow it down a bit.

I'm not sure about your time assumptions. On sections of the hull with no bottom paint, that could be a couple months or depending on how it was floating, might be much longer. Hard to say.

While there is a tendency to say within a gyre, it's not a guarantee by any means.

At this point, not clear why you originally asked as clearly there is no value in wreck.

valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 06:36   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I suspect he is trying to solve a riddle, and that is all.

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 06:39   #33

Boat: Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I suspect he is trying to solve a riddle, and that is all.
^
|
This!

I am totally baffled by the response of some people on this thread. The OP was being respectful of the intellectual property of the photographer by getting his permission before posting the pictures - why is that considered evasive? And suggesting ulterior motives is just as baffling. Get a grip people!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 07:55   #34

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Saba50

Amen!!!
sandymwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 08:55   #35

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
^
|
This!

I am totally baffled by the response of some people on this thread. The OP was being respectful of the intellectual property of the photographer by getting his permission before posting the pictures - why is that considered evasive? And suggesting ulterior motives is just as baffling. Get a grip people!
Total agreement.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 10:20   #36

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
^

|

This!

Get a grip people!

Totally in agreement with David. What is wrong with us?
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 11:03   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Catamarans Lost South Of Equ. Over Past Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNut View Post
Totally in agreement with David. What is wrong with us?

The other way to look at is not everyone has simple, pure motives.
It would not likely as elicited so much suspicion if he had stated form the onset that he had found remains of a wreck, and was trying to solve a puzzle.
Just me, but I don’t really understand the not posting pictures, that made it sound lust a little like maybe there was a lawsuit or something legal going on.
However I admit to having a suspicious nature I guess
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 12:08   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFergie View Post
John what is the construction method of the piece recovered ? The only boats that I can for sure have the v is the lagoons.
I know of 2 cats destroyed in Moz in the past 2 years but up north. The one was a schooning 12,5 if I can remember correct. The other I’m not sure of the make.

There was that French sailor that hit a whale at night near PE holed the hull and it inverted. The 2 guys were picked up by a ship and taken into PE.Attachment 171635 this pic is the one
after looking at a few more photos that john sent me i feel that it is part of the schionning cat wrecked off of mozambique,due to the use of cored balsa or foam in the bulkhead panels and nidacore in the bridgedeck area .

the schionning being 12.5m or 41ft would correspond to my guestimate of size of between 38-42 ft from the width of the bridge deck
Old 14-06-2018, 12:15   #39

Boat: Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
after looking at a few more photos that john sent me i feel that it is part of the schionning cat wrecked off of mozambique,due to the use of cored balsa or foam in the bulkhead panels and nidacore in the bridgedeck area .
It's a long way around the tip of Africa from Mozambique all the way to St Helena, but it makes a degree of sense when you look at the prevailing currents. The Agulhas Current flows south-ish down the east coast of Africa, and the Bengeula Current flows north-ish up the west coast. Together the two currents could have deposited the wreckage on St Helena. It sure would be fascinating to know more of the story...
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 12:35   #40

I cannot understand anyone questioning the OP on asking about only the southern hemisphere. One goes clockwise the other counter clockwise. It seems unlikely a piece of flotsam would transition from one to the other?
Maybe I'm showing my stupidity?
Old 14-06-2018, 12:38   #41

Atoll, that pic you point to is of the Lama Lo, a 52 'ish foot cat that hit a whale off the eastern Cape coast (Transkai) of South Africa in October 2015. I have no idea what make of cat it was but it was French flagged. Looking at the beam, it is fairly narrow. I will try and get hold of the crew member who was rescued and see what he says regarding the profile of the hull. He lived somewhere in Cape Town and maybe he is still here. The story is found here:
http://www.nsri.org.za/2015/10/catam...-crew-missing/

For other readers of this thread, I received some more photographs from the island and have permission to publish them on the forum. However, it is late at night in South Africa at the moment and I have to be up early in the morning to take somebody for a test sail on their new X5. However, the winds are expected to be gale-force with rain and 5 to 6 metre waves. Maybe the gentleman will cancel the sail and I will then have time to post a number of the photographs here. If not, it will only be late, our time, tomorrow afternoon.

For a64pilot, nothing is illegal. If I was to publish the copyright photographs as done above but without permission, both myself and the owners of this forum would be liable for copyright infringement. That is something I am very careful about, irrelevant of those saying "just post them".

John
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 12:58   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Atoll, that pic you point to is of the Lama Lo, a 52 'ish foot cat that hit a whale off the eastern Cape coast (Transkai) of South Africa in October 2015. I have no idea what make of cat it was but it was French flagged. Looking at the beam, it is fairly narrow. I will try and get hold of the crew member who was rescued and see what he says regarding the profile of the hull. He lived somewhere in Cape Town and maybe he is still here. The story is found here:
Catamaran capsized – Crew found Alive. | nsri.org.za

For other readers of this thread, I received some more photographs from the island and have permission to publish them on the forum. However, it is late at night in South Africa at the moment and I have to be up early in the morning to take somebody for a test sail on their new X5. However, the winds are expected to be gale-force with rain and 5 to 6 metre waves. Maybe the gentleman will cancel the sail and I will then have time to post a number of the photographs here. If not, it will only be late, our time, tomorrow afternoon.

For a64pilot, nothing is illegal. If I was to publish the copyright photographs as done above but without permission, both myself and the owners of this forum would be liable for copyright infringement. That is something I am very careful about, irrelevant of those saying "just post them".

John
John,
It may be a difference in what is considered copyright from county to country?
Here I can't see someone copyrighting those pics. Is it possibly that he is publishing a book?
Old 14-06-2018, 12:59   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Catamaran capsized – Crew found Alive. | nsri.org.za

John
john i was not referring to the upturned french cat that hit a whale off the sa coast in the photo that the other poster posted,rather his comment about the schonning 12.5m that was wrecked off of moz a few years back,which due to the similarity of construction and size would seem more likely.
Old 14-06-2018, 14:12   #44

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Some of you guys should read your "privacy" agreements. It is really a drag, but in this case John T. is right, those pictures weren't his to share. They are copyrighted, and publishing them without the owner's consent is a violation of copyright law, and CF would also be liable, just as he wrote. That is why the rules here specify only a brief quotation of a work you want to share, and why some longer ones have been deleted.

Fwiw, I think John T sounds like a lot of straightforward, friendly South Africans I've met.

Ann
Old 15-06-2018, 04:53   #45

The weather in Cape Town has not been the best for a test sail today! I have written to Schionning Designs and received a reply it is definitely not one of their designes - they claim to have only recently introduced foam core into their designes and previously used balsa.

Below are the promised extra photographs sent to me from St Helena Island. Let's see if they post properly. They are copyright Ian Johnson, the Rescue Manager, St Helena Island and are published with his consent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1865.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	171734

Name:	IMG_1873.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	171735

Name:	IMG_1874.jpg