Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2016, 10:00   #1
CK9

Catamarans for 6'4" husband

I am brand new to this forum, and boating in general. My husband is 6'4", and we are also looking for a catamaran that will comfortably fit him, to live aboard as well. We found one at the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show, after "trying out" a number of cats 40' and larger, and only found one...and it was over a half a million $US! That's quite out of our range, although (of course) it was perfect.
I'm wondering if any of you extra tall folks found any boats that fit you, that are more reasonably priced, and if so, would you please pass on that info?
Thanks very much!
CK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 13:18   #2

Re: Catamarans for 6'4" husband

What is your expectation?

I'm 6'2" and am fine on most cats. Yeah, I have to duck my head in a few places but you don't wander in the boat that much.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 13:46   #3

Which one was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
rajsach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 17:44   #4

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

What's your budget? What else in catamaran parameters would you like, apart from the tall ceiling requirement?
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 17:53   #5

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

CK9

For a 6'4" tall husband you will need a cat in the 45 footer range.
If your budget does not support a cat that size then a shorter husband may be in order.

A bigger cat or a shorter husband may cost about the same.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 07:40   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK9 View Post
I am brand new to this forum, and boating in general. My husband is 6'4", and we are also looking for a catamaran that will comfortably fit him, to live aboard as well. We found one at the Annapolis Boat Show, after "trying out" a number of cats 40' and larger, and only found one...and it was over a half a million $US! That's quite out of our range, although (of course) it was perfect.
I'm wondering if any of you extra tall folks found any boats that fit you, that are more reasonably priced, and if so, would you please pass on that info?
Thanks very much!
I am 6'4", 110 kg fit, and believe it or not have standing room everywhere in my 1987 Catalac 10m, which was also the first catamaran with 360degrees panoramic view from inside saloon! It wont cost 1/2 million USD when you find one. I liveaboard since 2007 on it and have wide and two kids, kids join us when school hollidays.
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 07:47   #7

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Check Lagoon 470's. 6'9" in salon and over. 6'6" in rest of boat except part of the master head. Only clearnce issue is going through cabin doors as they seemed to be designed for the average Frenchman. Should be available for well under $400K
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 08:08   #8

Boat: Lagoon 450 Sportop

I am 6'4" and have no problem in our current Lagoon 400S2. Standing room in all cabins and toilets as well as the showers.

Regards,
Anders, S/Y Barnacle
afriis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 08:08   #9

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

After much searching, a 6'5" friend bought his Leopard 42, to accomodate his height. Something from the early to mid-2000's
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 09:05   #10

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42

I am 6'4" (plus) and the New Lagoon 42 was no problem getting around for me. I can't comment about the older 421.
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 09:53   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Im just on 6'6" and large framed - 120kg. I sail a Voyage and have headroom (albeit just) within my Voyage cat. Several are available under $300k.
We also used to sail an Island Spirit that also had reasonable headroom but we fitted that boat out ourselves. Many of the Leopards have decent headroom as well as do some of the Privileges and many Lagoons. For me it is important to have headroom in the rear half of the saloon (entering from the cockpit), in the galley so you can pull your weight, and in the shower. It is useful to have headroom everywhere but compromises can be made if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK9 View Post
I am brand new to this forum, and boating in general. My husband is 6'4", and we are also looking for a catamaran that will comfortably fit him, to live aboard as well. We found one at the Annapolis Boat Show, after "trying out" a number of cats 40' and larger, and only found one...and it was over a half a million $US! That's quite out of our range, although (of course) it was perfect.
Thanks very much!
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 10:05   #12

Boat: Leopard 43

I am 6' 3" and did a lot of searching for a catamaran with ample headroom. I found that all Lagoons had plenty of headroom. However, I didn't like the styling and sailing performance of them. Newer Fountaine Pajot's and Leopards were mostly OK, but have low spots. All the older South African catamarans seemed to not have headroom. I ended up settling on a Leopard 43'. The headroom is mostly OK. However, there is a stretch between the bed and the toilet where I have hit my head a hundred times. He will pretty much have to check the different boats out and see what he can live with.
tedowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 10:21   #13

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

Try a second hand 45-49 money range 100-200 k for a very well maintained 10+ years old cat with perfect head room

I would never go for a new boat anyway as the moment you put her in the water you lose 30%
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 10:45   #14

Boat: Royal Cape Catamaran 53 ft 20 tons

I'm also tall and sail a Voyage as well. The headroom is above average but could be better. However, have a look at a St Francis. The headroom is excellent and its a really comfortable boat for tall folks.
YPSILANTI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran