Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2010, 20:08   #76

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Capt John,

Are you saying the Med is better because winter is looming and or Europe is having more finacial problems.
I'm not realy looking for a wreck to rebuild so the hurracaine specials are something for me to avoid.
As Just thinking has asked were do you find these owners and their bagain priced boats?
I've foundd heaps of bargains after they've been sold.
Someone told me on another tread to wait as all the well priced boats were sold a little while ago.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 00:59   #77

Boat: CT 54 loa 60' Windwalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Capt John,

Are you saying the Med is better because winter is looming and or Europe is having more finacial problems.
I'm not realy looking for a wreck to rebuild so the hurracaine specials are something for me to avoid.
As Just thinking has asked were do you find these owners and their bagain priced boats?
I've foundd heaps of bargains after they've been sold.
Someone told me on another tread to wait as all the well priced boats were sold a little while ago.
I"ve found heaps of bargains after they've sold! ...

Well,of course, sold prices are where buyers & sellers have finally agreed....
However, sold yachts, boats ,or real estate,etc, may not all be 'bargains'....

.but its a damn good reference point for whats being transacted no matter where in the world!..
Yes,Dragon Lady, I feel the Med prices& caribbean are lots less than our local market , ....!! (especially perth ) with no selection at all...

.Personally I'm looking at older cats...in $80-$125K range......found several in greece ,turkey , spain ....I'll build up a good selection & fly over . Say two weeks away......& cost a few grand in airfares & expenses ..to visit & inspect .Has to be part of the research costs to get something I'm happy with..

Caribbean is another area with heaps available....I charterd there for 15 years so familiar with all islands..

BTW, I'm older now & not interested anymore in'fixing up a wreck' either...something like a 20 y.o. prout will suit me fine ...I'm a solo ..at present but confident (with my charm ....hahaha)can offer a lady companion a sailing adventure with me .

In between time I'm sending all my details ....to every broker around the world...

ie....price range $80-120K , length 33'-38' ....age 15-25 years........& that I can fly in to inspect almost immediately ...however, owner/vendor must be very genuine(desperate hehehe) & look at lower offers etc..or don't waste my timewith dreamers..

Time is on my side ..... & good luck with your research dragon lady,

CJ
captjohn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 01:10   #78
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
There is a good boat for sale by owner in Brisbane - Its not cheap, $245 Aus, but its excellent value. Its a Fastback 43/44, Really interesting boats, really good ideas.

Good boats for sale by owner are around - but there are not many good boats that are bargains.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 01:39   #79

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
Easy 39.5' Sailing Catamaran 2000 Model - eBay, Sailboats, Boats, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 25-Sep-10 19:02:04 AEST)

Ebay

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 01:50   #80

I think there is a classified section for this stuff, or are you trying to prove how overpriced the Australian market is?
Old 20-09-2010, 01:55   #81

Boat: CT 54 loa 60' Windwalker
Thx factor,, Sure, I would love something like that one,

BUT.....Now selling my house will/should net about $400K.....so need to have 250 K invested for income to live on.....plus Super $300 a week ....so total of $500 a week should get me beans & rice O.K. ....burp burp !

can sail with basics; one of my first yachts was 30'ferro cement ...with depth sounder,Wowie.. speed log..VHS & sextant to navigate with.. & Ice box ,with 2 blocks melted after 1 week .Great fun
& adventure....with my girlfriend 1 st. mate
I/we varnished 200 plus cans of food & lined bilge; vaseline on 20 dozeneggs,.sack of spuds big bag of rice.....Volvo 2 cylinder hand/flywheel start.. 25 galons of water & always had awning ready to catch rain..& showers for us waiting inthenude all soaped up !! haha . hen fishing line would get a strike..I was King of the world in 1985.. sailed to South Africa...to Brazil,sailed up the Amazon...then to Caribbean & stayed there for15 years...have such wonderful memories.. I'm rambling on now.cheers C J
captjohn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 19:22   #82

There seems to be a few boats being sold in the Caribbean at the moment, I don't know what prices are being paid but there definatly seems to be some money changing hands.
Old 21-09-2010, 21:10   #83

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne
If you're interested in buying a cat and live on the east coast of the USA, call The Catamaran Co. in Ft. Lauderdale, ask for Staley Weidman. I bought a Lagoon 380 from him 5 years ago and couldn't have had a better experience or better service.

Went to contract on the boat the week before Wilma (2005 hurricane) hit, scheduled to close the week after Wilma. It was a tough situation, because I wanted to beat them up some more on the price (after going to contract before minor hurricane damage to the boat) and I refused to close with the minor hurricane damage (hull got chafed by a piling). They were very fair, gave me a reduction in price and fixed the minor damage.

After the sale, they've bent over backward to help me with parts, additions, etc. With an expenditure as large as a boat, it really pays to do business with professional, financially stable and knowledgable people. I would assume that they control a large portion of the inventory available as well.

catamarans for sale

I don't work for them and/or have any affiliation except as a happy customer and wearer of some great weather gear">foul weather gear they threw in. Don't begrudge their commission, if they earn it. Besides the seller pays it. Five years later, the boat is worth very close to what I paid for it (my house is worth half what I paid for it).

Regarding a used charter boat versus used owner boat to purchase. If you're going to charter it, buy the used charter boat and put it in a 2nd or 3rd tier charter. It will be pretty much stripped of stuff, which is good for a charter boat and beat up enough that you won't worry about someone dinging it. However, if you're going to live on it as an owner boat - buy an owner boat!! The difference between the two is huge.

IN THE END, the cost, labor and hassle to PROFESSIONALLY add owner stuff to a charter boat is way more than getting an owner boat with most of the stuff already there. You will get all of the stuff for a fraction of what it costs and avoid the huge hassles involved in getting the stuff there. Generator and built-in a/c units are perfect examples of expensive, hassle intensive - stuff to have installed.

Indigo Moon (Indigo Moon) is a perfect example. It just sold in the past couple of weeks. I don't know what it sold for, but will make an educated guess of $270,000, more or less. The cost to elevate the same vintage charter boat, to equal that of Indigo Moon owner comforts already installed, cleanliness and cruise-ability, would be $100,000 to $150,000, plus a lot of aggravation. So if you pay $200,000 for a 2001, 2002 or similar Lagoon 380 used charter boat and add the $100,000 to $150,000 to make it equal or comparable, not only do you loose, but you haven't been able to sail it because all of your time has been consumed getting the work done!

By the way, I highly recommend the Lagoon 380.
timbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 09:06   #84
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbenner View Post
.....with professional, financially stable and knowledgable people. I would assume that they control a large portion of the inventory available as well.

catamarans for sale
With all due respect for your enthusiasm over having been treated well - I most certainly will never even consider doing business with a company that is into "data-mining" prior to giving out any basic listing information!
C'mon! What is this?!
You have to REGISTER, aka give them at least your eMail Adress prior to being able to view the full specs of a listing?
This is totally unacceptable even so I too know about how to obtain a "throw away email address". It's just the "business-ethics" revealed by that demand that make me run as fast and far as I can!
JustThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 09:41   #85

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
I've got mine at the market at the moment, same price as I paid for her. Expect to accept 15% off to close a sale in this year, hope to get full amount next spring (if eco recovery looks likely). No body wants to pay for the boat to sit over the winter, making regular visits to keep everything shiny and free of bird strikes! Multihullworld.com list many cats all over the world for a good view of what's available at what price.
Old 22-09-2010, 10:09   #86

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThinking View Post
With all due respect for your enthusiasm over having been treated well - I most certainly will never even consider doing business with a company that is into "data-mining" prior to giving out any basic listing information!
C'mon! What is this?!
You have to REGISTER, aka give them at least your eMail Adress prior to being able to view the full specs of a listing?
This is totally unacceptable even so I too know about how to obtain a "throw away email address". It's just the "business-ethics" revealed by that demand that make me run as fast and far as I can!
I also pass over any listings that require me to volunteer any information. Likewise listings where it's 'Price upon application' or some other nonsense. In many cases after I've moved on I find the same boat listed somewhere else which laughably puts the 'data-mining/POA' broker right out of the picture.

Man, if you're trying to sell something get all the information out there along with some GOOD photo's.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 10:59   #87

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne
Good point! I'm going to pass your comments on to them and maybe they'll re-think requiring that information, before you can view the listings. When you think about it, no one else does that in other industries, such as Auto or Motorcycle sales sites.
timbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 11:06   #88
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka View Post
I also pass over any listings that require me to volunteer any information. Likewise listings where it's 'Price upon application' or some other nonsense. In many cases after I've moved on I find the same boat listed somewhere else which laughably puts the 'data-mining/POA' broker right out of the picture.

Man, if you're trying to sell something get all the information out there along with some GOOD photo's.
101% with you! Some of listings really are way beyond ridiculous! 1-5 (usually even "blurred" pictures which make me ask: "What are you trying to hide?" B'cause nowadays with digital cameras who could not immediately check the quality of the picture just taken and take it again?

But generally speaking I do have the impression that many brokers follow a simple dogma: "Pretend as if there was no crisis, keep the prices up, get additional consignments by promising the sellers ridiculous prices and ... hold your breath until that has blown over.
Well, it's not my wisdom, but the going evaluation is that it still will get worse prior to it having a chance to improve. (Economy and banking systems still being awfully inflated, and there simply are too many "sharp objects" around)
Luckily I have time - which I need even in times like these because my situation is a bit complicated as it is, - but sooner or later I am sure I'll find someone who will like what I have to offer and where I will like what he has to offer.
Everybody happy - after all that's the only way a good deal can and should be made.
JustThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 19:00   #89

The Catamaran company are an interesting lot, they appear to offer world class service and have a very profesinal looking website.
I have registered and gone to their detailed information pages, they send you a nice newsletter talking up the market and offering supossed "killer deals".
What they don't offer are bargains, they are a top shelf broker whom are probably best for buyers whom have plenty of money and want a very safe and secure purchase.
The boats they were trying to sell me were priced quite high IMO, but they do seem like very nice people and they have a large buisness to run with no doubt considerable overheads.
An interesting coment on charter boats, I suppose if you want a floating condaminium with air con, gen sets etc you are certainly well advised to buy a private boat with these already installed. From what I have observed they add little to the resale value of the boat.
What these things do add is weight which everyone says is a bad thing on Cats.
Old 23-09-2010, 07:05   #90

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Regarding A/C, if you are simply using the boat for cruising, never at dock, then forgo A/C. But at dock where the boat hatches can't point to the wind like they do at anchor, the interior temp on a 90 degree day will be over 120 inside the boat, even with the hatches open. So it's not a "nice to have".
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote