Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2012, 20:00   #406
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Catamarans - Current Market Situation

They have the space for the cabin. Whether it is used for that, I don't know. Mine was used for extra storage, a second generator, and dive compressor.
Old 22-01-2012, 14:59   #407

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
That's correct, as I mentioned Seawinds are manufactured at Bellambi which is near Wollongong and at their new factory at Nowra both of which are in NSW Australia for the benefit of overseas readers.

People need to be carefull of what they say on a public forum like this as Seawind would not take very kindly to a totally incorrect statement like this which could damage their image and reputation internationally and you know how rumours start which can be often based on untruths.

Hi there

Just call the local rep if you like. I have looked at buying a seawind and this is what seawind have told me -

1000 and 1160 now made in the corsair factory in vietnam. the Bellambi factory (that is just around the corner from me and why if i could get there in price id buy one) is now doing the 1250s after a refit

Right back atya on the being careful what you say on a forum

cheers
Barra
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 17:05   #408

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Are we going to start calling Seawinds Vietnamese cats now? Just doesnt have that ring to it.
Old 22-01-2012, 17:10   #409

No it sure doesnt! and the price will have to reflect it at some point i guess. After the trauma im getting on shipping from overseas now ill have to hope that happens sooner rather than later
Old 22-01-2012, 17:15   #410
Marine Service Provider

How good would it be if they were able to significantly lower costs and have a very cost-effective product to more readily compete with the world market including the big-guns! I guess the problem is that much of the vessel is fitted with name-brand equipment, winches, wiring, sails so the only major savings will be labour and some materials, therefore it will make a price difference of sorts, but probably not a huge one.

I imagine that existing owners may be a bit upset (if new boat prices drop) however they'll have the "Aussie Built" cats to sell second-hand as they will claim are no doubt built better than the Vietnamese counterparts.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 17:22   #411

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Hi there

Just call the local rep if you like. I have looked at buying a seawind and this is what seawind have told me -

1000 and 1160 now made in the corsair factory in vietnam. the Bellambi factory (that is just around the corner from me and why if i could get there in price id buy one) is now doing the 1250s after a refit

Right back atya on the being careful what you say on a forum

cheers
Barra
Hi Barra - I have replied on the new Seawind specific thread so as not to take this one down another path but we do share a common concern here.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 17:24   #412

If the Euro continues to weaken then pricing of new French cats could get even more aggressive, so Seawind really have no option. But it wont be easy to deliver cost reductions. There are significant overheads in managing an offshore facility. They will need volume.....
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 17:32   #413

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Guess Seawind is letting info get out as slow as possible (where is Factor)as was not mentioned in the recent jan/Feb Aust Multihull World (avoided) just out. They had a review of Seawind with release of the 1000th 1160 and around 8 pages of advertorial. I would not necessarily expect a price reduction in short term but longterm they will be able to be more price competetive in USA.

Unfortuately for Australian manufacturers and builders the cost of doing business in Australia in 2012 is too high and the coming new taxes will see more manufacturing offshore and as catmando suggests perhaps even the Aust tinnie.

I would expect from discussions with people who have worked in Vietnahm and China that Seawind have made the best choice regarding supervision as it will be the key in maintaining standards.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 17:46   #414

Seawind dropped their prices back around october last year as part of the overseas production (reading between the lines). but since then FX has consprired again to keep them a bit above comparison boats. Expect another drop. Meanwhile the 2nd hand seawinds are offered $'s over the new (but less inclusioned than set up used) vietnamese version.

Ive seen "Centurian" on the harbour actually - the 100th 1160 built (not the 1000th)
Old 22-01-2012, 17:57   #415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post

Ive seen "Centurian" on the harbour actually - the 100th 1160 built (not the 1000th)
Didn't check my typing
Old 22-01-2012, 22:51   #416
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Please don't cross examine me on what I am about to say, I am not a business spokesperson for the company, just a local agent.

However, yes the 1000XL2 and the 1160 production is now in Seawind's factory in Vietnam, the build has not been outsourced to a yard in SE Asia, its in a factory that Seawind owns and has its own senior staff. (The Corsiar production facility which Seawind bought last year along with the Corsair line of tri's). The corsairs have been built to an extremely high standard in this facility for some years.

The 1250 remains fully built in Australia and the 1000XL2 will be heavily commissioned in Australia. Seawind is still an Australian company and many of the senior people in the Vietnam facility are Australian. Seawind remains the biggest production sail boat builder in Australia. Everything else remains the same, you buy a 1000XLs it will still be delivered to you at Seawind's brand new private marina facility in Rozelle in Sydney. You have a question or a a need for service its still your local agent and the service manager in Bellambi that will resolve the issue.

Don't expect price drops, expect a company that remains profitable and continues to provide employment to many people in the Wollongong area and elsewhere.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 23:00   #417

Explains it all Having key australian staff in their own factory is the key.

A much better choice than China.

Guess the next Australian Multihull mag will explain it all as you have done.

Thanks
Old 22-01-2012, 23:03   #418

Factor
+1
Important to remain profitable, limited life otherwise! Having a local skilled component is a great outcome, as is bulk-labour at a better hourly rate.
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 23:51   #419

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armagh View Post
Factor
+1
as is bulk-labour at a better hourly rate.
what $5 a day, Its a sad day when our government give millions to a stuffed car industry but send what was a great Aussie business overseas and Id bet its had nothing to do with a new tax or any power increases.

I wish them well but id buy a French on now if I have any money left when I retire.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 01:46   #420

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Yeap, challenging times ahead for everybody!
Aust dollar is going higher despite interest rate falls forecast so watch this space it's not over yet.
I hope Seawind can survive, because if they can't there's not much hope for the other Aussie boat builders.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote