Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 16:50   #16
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnsapo View Post
.... I can write the check, but how do i throw out a lowball offer and not offend sombody and also, at the same time, let them know i am dead serious and have the resources to back up my offer for a clean transaction?....
Brian, you could just show the boat broker your bank balance. The broker will bend over backwards to get a deal to close these days. Remember to leave a bunch of cash for the boat's refit in the account!
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 16:52   #17

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
From what I can gather from the opinions expressed in this tread, the market is in worse shape than I thought. If this is the case most of the boats listed are not being advertised at real current market values.
Those whom can hang on, probably will do so until the market improves.
That being the case you will never be buying theirs boats anyway.
What you need to find id those owners whom can't hang on and are willing to cut their losses and sell.
The trick is how to find them.
If you are polite and honest you should not offend any reasonable vendors.
I don't think you should ever make undue criticism of a boats condition either, this will put the vendor offside and make doing the deal harder.
Anyway if it's that bad why are you even thinking of buying it.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 17:15   #18
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
You can read a hundred threads on this site and it really comes down to research. Pick the boats your interested in, figure out what you think you would pay, then start visiting them and making offers. I've posted it before, but I made a full price offer for my boat, as is, where is. And, the owner wasn't under duress, he had simply forgot about or lost interest in the boat.

BTW, if an owner is asking too much for their boat, then there shouldn't be any shame in making a fair, low, offer. That's what the boat is worth, to you, right now.
Old 02-09-2010, 17:23   #19

Yes I agree, by the way does anyone know what's happened to soldboat I don't seem to be able to get in anymore.
Old 02-09-2010, 17:25   #20
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
I don't think your supposed to be able to, unless your a broker.
Old 02-09-2010, 18:15   #21

Boat: FP Athena 38 - Breakaway
Thank you all. There are only 2 in the pacific right now that i am interested in, and many in BVI. The ones out here are $50,000-$70,000 more then their counterparts in the Caribbean. Yes they are outfitted a bit better, but not $50K+ worth.

I have been doing nothing but researching the last 6 months, I now need to actually tour a few as internet pics and specs only go so far. It is very difficult to be patient when a major life change is so close to becoming a reality.

Brian
mtnsapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 18:39   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Part of the pricing you should probably consider is location. It's not cheap to move a boat long distances, especially if the route is uphill. You could easily find yourself paying the difference, or more, to either bring the boat to you, or take yourself to the boat. When thinking about this, be sure to also think about the costs of wear and tear involved in long passages. If a downhill run, then that will be easier and cheaper for the boat. If uphill, then you're looking at perhaps major wear, lots of motoring, and possibly a long time to get it there.

When you're looking at a boat more local to you, then you can pretty much know that the boat you see while shopping is the boat you will get upon delivery.

Just something to keep in mind.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 22:26   #23

Yeah, I'm weighing up a Pacific crossing, Panama Canal and Atlantic.
No wonder boats are so expensive in OZ.
Old 03-09-2010, 17:46   #24

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
so, in line with what is said above, I am wondering how to go about putting in offers on the boats I am looking at. I can write the check, but how do i throw out a lowball offer and not offend sombody and also, at the same time, let them know i am dead serious and have the resources to back up my offer for a clean transaction? Do I put an offer on every boat in my short list, then follow with survey?

Brian
Don't worry about offending.

Use this line.

"Please know that this offer is not a reflection of what we feel your boat is truly worth, but only a reflection of what our finances will allow."
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 22:17   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
From what I can gather from the opinions expressed in this tread, the market is in worse shape than I thought. If this is the case most of the boats listed are not being advertised at real current market values.
Those whom can hang on, probably will do so until the market improves.
That being the case you will never be buying theirs boats anyway.
What you need to find id those owners whom can't hang on and are willing to cut their losses and sell.
The trick is how to find them.
If you are polite and honest you should not offend any reasonable vendors.
I don't think you should ever make undue criticism of a boats condition either, this will put the vendor offside and make doing the deal harder.
Anyway if it's that bad why are you even thinking of buying it.
Good boats bring good prices, I recently listed a Seawind 1160 and it sold in a few weeks at near asking price. It was an excellent boat and priced reasonably but certainly not cheaply.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 22:48   #26

Boat: FP Athena 38 - Breakaway
LOVE IT! thanks theapy. IF the 2 boats are on the market in the next couple of months I will have all my ducks in a row and will be suing this line. I hope at least one of them are in the mindset that they need to cut thier losses, otherwise I will move on....

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Don't worry about offending.

Use this line.

"Please know that this offer is not a reflection of what we feel your boat is truly worth, but only a reflection of what our finances will allow."
mtnsapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:10   #27

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
LOVE IT! thanks theapy. IF the 2 boats are on the market in the next couple of months I will have all my ducks in a row and will be suing this line. I hope at least one of them are in the mindset that they need to cut thier losses, otherwise I will move on....

Brian

Best of luck.
Glad you are not going for a Gem.
The wife does not want to sell and we are not "cutting losses" so maybe I am being silly.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 18:09   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Good boats bring good prices, I recently listed a Seawind 1160 and it sold in a few weeks at near asking price. It was an excellent boat and priced reasonably but certainly not cheaply.
Yes that's fine if you want an Australian boat, you don't really have a choice there are relatively few of these boats on the market as not many have been built.
Also the Australian economy is doing amazingly well at the moment so there are very few distress sales here.
It looks like if you want a boat in Oz you have to pay the money even though few boats seem to be selling. But then again when you can buy a new boat cheaper than many vendors are asking for secondhand boats I think we will see a bit of a change in the market.
I'm just praying that the AUD stays where it's at till the end of the year.
Old 06-09-2010, 00:42   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
But then again when you can buy a new boat cheaper than many vendors are asking for secondhand boats I think we will see a bit of a change in the market.
Yes, even though some of these boats are fitted with "extras" and some new boats are bare of cruise essentials, many cruising cats listed for sale in Australia are way over priced.

Dispense with the nicities, as Dad said in the "The Castle" (an ozzie movie): "Son, Tell em, they're DREAMIN!"
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:14   #30

Boat: Privilege 37
Power boat market is definitely well down, but there seems to have been little real downturn for GOOD catamarans.