Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 19:14   #16

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx
Atlantic 57

I spoke with Chris White extensively about the cat flipping in the south pacific. It was one of his cats. His cats are more performance oriented but do not have the fit and finish of the st, francis 50.
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 20:13   #17

It sounds like there were a lot of Catamarans there. I may have to trick my wife into going to Annapolis one year to show her that Cats are not ugly. For some reason, I can't convincer her that they are not.

Any votes for sleekest looking cat at the show? As far as pimple on a pumpkin, that sounds like my wife talking...

Thanks for sharing,
Greg
Old 13-10-2010, 05:28   #18

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx
Sleekest?

Yes, the Discovery cat made in the UK has a very slick and sexy exterior design............and of course there is the Gunboat, but it I found oxymoronic in that it had what appeared to be an upscale interior but was also rather spartan in the galley and staterooms......it has an idententity problem in that it rally doesn;t know what it wants to be, race cat or luxo-cruising/race cat.
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 06:04   #19

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
I also had a nice chat with Chris White about the capsize of the Atlantic 57 this year. He has written up a squall management plan on his website-things to do and not to do, and is working with a French company on an automatic mainsheet release option. I agree the problem is not with the boat, it is with owners/crew who do not understand what it takes to sail a performance cat. He was talking about giving a beach cat away with every 57, to encourage the owners to learn catamaran sailing the easy way.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 06:30   #20

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I'm pretty sure the Gunboats are painted, not gel coated. Gunboats are known for being light. They intentionally have spartan interiors to keep them that way.

Doodles, 400k is inexpensive for a big cat.
spartan?

http://www.gunboat.com/66-gallery.php#
Old 13-10-2010, 07:42   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxuxx View Post
Yes, the Discovery cat made in the UK has a very slick and sexy exterior design............and of course there is the Gunboat, but it I found oxymoronic in that it had what appeared to be an upscale interior but was also rather spartan in the galley and staterooms......it has an idententity problem in that it rally doesn;t know what it wants to be, race cat or luxo-cruising/race cat.
From what I have seen the Gunboat is the look as far as hull and cabin that would appeal to my wife. Perhaps sleek is not the proper term, slick and sexy would do.
I am surprised to read a common thread that for the premier lux/fast/high tech cat of our time that the interior is less than what one would expect for the price tag.

I agree that hundreds of thousands for "IKEA" like joinery is a shame as well.

Thanks xxuxx

Greg
Old 13-10-2010, 08:02   #22

The exact figures escape me but the point was made that it cost 1/2 the cost if they build the Atlantic 57 in Chile rather than in the US. something like 1.5 mill. US$ if built in the US, vs. $800k if built in Chile.
That was my favorite boat to visit because Chris White, his lovely wife and their crew could not have been more welcoming, hospitable and kind to my new-to-cruising wife.
Funny, but I was talking to a guy on the Gunboat and I asked him who first designed the cockpit and line handling at the base of the mast; Gunboat or Chris White.
The guy said, "I don't know".
Oh, he knew, because another crew member on the Gunboat told me I was talking to the owner of the company, Peter Johnstone.
My wife's favorite boat at the show was the Atlantic 57.
I did see a lot of bamboo laminate and bamboo laminate flooring. It is light in color and seemed just right on that sunny day.
YADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 08:22   #23

So far as I can tell the Stars are:
Atlantic 57, five positive comments
St. Francis 50, three
Lagoon 450, one
Seawind 1160, two
Gunboat, one
Discovery 50, one
Matrix 450, one
Old 13-10-2010, 08:33   #24

It was one of the few cats I spent time on. The price is upwards of $2 million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Anybody catch the going price for a new Atlantic 57 in USD. Checked the website but no data there. Just wondering. BOB
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 08:50   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
It was one of the few cats I spent time on. The price is upwards of $2 million.
Base price:
$1,599,000
sail package:
$44,675
autopilot and electronics package:
$24,600
+++
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 08:53   #26

On yachtworld, a 2010 Atlantic 57 is listed at $1.6M

2010 Chris White Designs Atlantic 57 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
slap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 09:30   #27

Boat: It will be an Island Packet 38 most probably
My vote goes out to the Atlantic too. It is well built for a liveaboard. Everything has its place, their is a lot of room and moving around the cat is not a difficult thing. If only it was less expensive

I found that many cats are not ergonomic and it is not always easy to go from one place to the other. The steps are not of equal height in one staircase, there are no steps to go down in the cockpit or there are ropes on the floor or on the side of the boat that you have to watch out for. These things may be very trivial to some but they are very important to me.

One that I was very sorry I could not visit was the Antares. I spoke with Rob Poirier, the VP of the company last sping and was definitly anxious to see that cat and visit it. Rob told me that he will be at the Miami boat show next February. I guess I will do a little trip down to the south and out of the snow (hopefully) for a few days next winter

Missou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 09:39   #28

Boat: Leopard 40
I didn't get to go on all the cats because of a broken toe. I was able to go on the Discovery 50 and throught it had the best up galley that I'd seen. I also liked the idea of two heads in the master cabin but the price was way past my budget. The line was so long going on to the new St Francis that I had to skip it. I did go on the new Gemini and the Seawind. I was not impressed with either. I got to view a used Manta 42 and an Island Spirit 40. I liked the layout of the Island Spirit but I think my husband is too tall for it. But the Manta 42 is an option.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 09:48   #29

Boat: Leopard 40
I take that back. I did go on the St Francis I just didn't remember it.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 11:28   #30

Boat: L42
My Pics

Picasa Web Albums - Steve Cowart

I loved the St 50, especially on the outside. I hated the gen access.

I also loved most of the Lagoon 450, i was especially surprised how well it sailed in light air. We did about 5.5 knots in 8.5 of true wind sailing upwind.
I hated how high the boom was, however.

The Gunboat was awesome, but the layout sucked, it was chosen for that specific owner.

They are coming out with a new 50 footer that will have retractable electric drives that are powered by diesel generators, designed by David Tether.
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, annapolis boat show, boat show