Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 00:10   #91
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Re: Catamaran Sold Report Q2 2013

cw. Your arrogance is astounding. You must have missed all the first hand anecdotes where 30% reductions were not only not rejected but actually agreed upon. So I can tell you they have worked well for me in the past for boats and cars so be fascinated. There is no need for you to imagine. Mac has told you the same thing but you ignore facts.

If you think we should not care about what you think then why are you posting? Your egocentric style sales tactics have worked well for you so why bother arguing?

Seems like you also admitted buying a boat for what was most likely at least a 30% decrease if the eventual sale price was 15% BELOW an offer the seller found rude the first time. If the guy acted like an ass afterward maybe he has a similar mentality to you regarding the free market. He had ZERO right to not treat you and the transaction with FULL respect. After all your offer was the absolute highest anyone was offering at that time. For that he should be GRATEFUL and not begrudging.

We purchased our boat at a heavy discount and the seller was very good and done much more for us than would ever have been considered basic courtesy. I am glad some people recognize the highest offer as what it is. The most any person in the whole world is willing to pay you. The fact it is lower than what you want does not change that the buyer is the best you have and he should be treated well for it.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 00:27   #92

Boat: Lightwave 45

Dennis

My post was clear. I purchased the boat at 15% below the sale price.

Sounds like you have a real problem with people who have a different opinion to yourself. I would never use words like "arrogant" and "egocentric" to describe a person I don't know, and I would never assume what anybody's mentality is unless I knew them.

But you are right. Why would I have this discussion with someone who has a fixed view and when someone disagrees resorts to personal invective.

Best of luck with your purchase.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 00:36   #93

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp

cwjohm,
I'll take it from you that I have been misinformed by the tone and text of your own posts, my apologies for that, someone else reading them may draw the same conclusion as me.
You certainly did seem to present yourself as an authority on brokerage sales IMO.

From your last post above you seem to be almost doing what I do, how then did you come to the conclusion I, or anyone else in this 'conversation' haggles to the point of aggravation?
Your seller may have been "pissed off", mine haven't been that I've seen, I'll stick to my style. Disappointed, "reluctantly accept" yes, PO'd, no.
BTW Someone made a low offer on those boats I mentioned, they didn't go for the new reduced asking price either but lower and 2 years later.

Disappointed though they may be, many vendors were just happy to have cash in their hands and move on with their lives.

Me too, win some, lose some, no haggling, no aggravation and no belief that any price is set until it's tested. Didn't buy the car today, left my number though.
Always the optimist,
Cheers,
Mac
Old 11-10-2013, 00:41   #94
cruiser

Quote:
The proof is in the pudding. You have your sales strategy. Offer 30%+ off. What difference does it matter what any of us think. I for one am fascinated to hear how you go with that. Just make sure your health insurance is paid up first.
My use of the word arrogant was justified since you insinuated I would be in danger of physical harm (by who, you?, if it was your boat?) when making a 30% below offer and belittled the whole concept, even though it had been stated that 30% offers have been regularly accepted by forum members. This sort of posting on your part can also be seen as "having a real problem with people who have a different opinion to yourself" and may lead to others calling your postings arrogant. So watch what you say if you are easily offended.

But as a wise man once said "What difference does it matter what any of us think"

Cheers mate
Old 11-10-2013, 00:53   #95

Boat: Lightwave 45

Hi Mac

I have reread my texts and I cannot see anywhere where I claimed I was an expert on brokerage, or even involved in any way in brokerage. I don't do anything like what you do. For the umpteenth time I am an average person who has bought and sold houses, boats, and cars many times over the years. I certainly don't do it for profit.

I did not come to any conclusion in regard to you or anyone on this forum for that matter. I simply stated my opinion based on my experience. I thought that was what this forum was for.

As a general rule different opinions in these threads do not seem to draw this sort of quite emotional response, but obviously I have touched upon a few raw nerves with my differing views, and I will now withdraw.

Kind regards
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:00   #96
cruiser

cw, I respected your opinion and shared my own experiences with the forums as you did. It was your post I quoted above which went over the line "emotionally". Up to this point all posts had good points.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:06   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post

Anyway short version...we absolutely agree that transactions occurring in foreign jurisdictions carry large and inherent risks!!
No shyte Sherlock. When has this not been the case? The aforementioned 'benefits' of the internet have not adequately resolved this.

Also, your experience with a broker (nationality irrelevant) represents a single data point. Any potential buyer must recognize that or else stray into unchartered territory where no recommendation exists. Which all comes down to the tried and true caveat emptor.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:31   #98

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp

My responses are far from emotional.
You read your posts one way. I read them another and admitted drawing a conclusion from them which you refute. I accepted that.
The following are snips from the posts you have "reread", I'm not going to paste them in their entirety.
I've no interest in arguing with you but I will draw your attention to post 84 in regards to you not drawing conclusions etc.
Your blow by blow of your method is almost the same as my posted one, can't you see that?

Post 74
From my perspective if someone makes me a lowball price on a house, car or boat, then I don't think they are rude, but rather I think they are not a serious buyer and as a general rule I tell the agent, broker, whatever to simply ignore them. Life is too short to deal with these sort of people.

I have sold a lot of houses, cars and boats and never has somebody making a lowball offer actually bought anything. Usually they have little more to do than waste your time.
Brokers and agents know this of course, and that is why they don't like to make lowball offers. It simply destroys the buyers credibility.

Post 84
What this comes down to is the nature of the human condition. Some, and I would stipulate the minority, both sellers and buyers, like to pursue a deal to their own financial advantage and will haggle endlessly to do so. The vast majority however, could not be bothered with all of that BS and simply want to get or pay a fair price, and get on with life, and tend to reject out of hand the people who want to endlessly negotiate.

By all means if you are one of the minority as plainly you guys are go to it. Maybe you will meet a kindred spirit and you can enjoy locking horns in the negotiation, but be prepared for the average joe who will just say "go away and aggravate somebody else".

Post 90
My last boat I bought at a 15% discount at a price below what the guy rejected 6 months before. He was majorly pissed at selling at this price, which was reflected by his actions in the sale, but I wont go into the details. If I had offered 30% off I do not think I would have been game to make such an offer in his presence.

If you want to argue with your own words, do so. Leave me out of it please.
Mac

Tags
catamaran