Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2006, 11:19   #1

Boat: 1990 Morgan 41 Classic
Catamaran's for tall people

I am starting my search for a Catamaran to liveaboard that is in the 38-45 ft range. The challenge I face is that I am 6'3" and need to draw up a short list of boat models that would accomodate my height. This is not an easy task since the manufacturers do not usually provide this information in their specifications.

The use would be a liveabord with my wife and I with occasional visits from my three sons. Our plans could potentially include a circumnavigation.

I would appreciate any recommendations all of you generous posters can provide to help me narrow down the list.
laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:19   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Below is a link to all the Cat manufactures. You might try searching the spec's of your favorite builders. But I think anything over 40' would probably do ya!

Cat Builders
..............................................._-/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:25   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
Mopst cats have more than 6' 3" headroom in the hulls. The problem would be on the bridgedeck. It may not just be a question of overall height. My Catalac accomodates my height 6'2" in all places, but you cant stand around the saloon table - here the critical dimension is the length of the back. With your height, the only real way to find out is to look at a lot of different boats, sort out the type of cat you are after, and then look for the space requirements.

A good starting point, is knowing how much money you want to invest in the hull, then better recommendations can be made.!
Old 02-01-2006, 12:40   #4

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
Voyage 430 and 440

The Voyage 430 and 440's have the clearance. the 380 like Makai have it except for right around the salon table.

The builder even makes a step down for the galley so when tall people are washing dises they don't mash thier head.
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 13:22   #5

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Manta 42

The Manta 42 can accommodate people 6'3"-6'4". Take a look at their website at www.mantausa.com for a picture of the company owner, who is 6'2.5". He clears all parts of the bridge salon without a problem.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 16:29   #6

You folks are great. I never expected to get so many helpful replies so fast. I do appreciate the help.

I understand that many of the replies to these types of questions start with budget. I will take this out of the equation because I have found that most of the boats in the less than 45 foot range fit into my budget. The more important factor is intended use. In my case I am looking for a liveaboard boat that is built to handle a circumnavigation with 2 people on board.

Some of you made a comment that anything over 40 feet will work. I dont think a global statement like that can be made. This is why I am asking here. I have been on a number of boats and headroom seems to be the issue I struggle with. For example, I could not stand in the galley of any of the Fontain Pajot boats between 40 and 43 feet. I was on a Lagoon 410 last week and I can not stand up in half the galley and the headroom in all cabins and heads dont allow me to stand. The tight spots seem to be the galley, cabins and heads.

I have not been on a Catalac or Voyage yet so I will take a closer look. I thought I was on a Manta at the Annapolis boat show this fall and ran into a head room issue but this is why I am asking here. Getting advice from the folks who actually own the boats is invaluable. I need to revisit the Manta again as well.

If anyone else wants to chime in, I am all ears.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:36   #7

The only Catalac that would meet your journey requirements is the 12m, and these are rare beasts. I dont know if they have the height clearance cause I have never been onboard one.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:39   #8

Talbot: Thank you for the help. It looks like you are located in the UK. Have you ever had the opportunity to walk through a Broadblue 385? It seems that there is adequate headroom throughout except for the shower, but a hatch in the shower eliminates that issue (as long as its not too cold outside)
Old 04-01-2006, 04:15   #9

Yes I am in the UK, but have not looked at the BB385 in the flesh. Both the 385 and the 42/43 are designs for the North Sea/North Atlantic and thus very robust. I prefer the 42/43 but cant afford either! I cant report on headroom for them but can say that a chum who was on a trip off the French coast came on watch to discover that the wind was an apparent 40 kt, and the boat was doing 20kt and feeling absolutely fine.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:57   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Balance 526
Laser,

I ran into the same issue being 6'4". The only boats that I found to have sufficient headroom was the Lagoon 380 and 410's, the new 42 Manta's, (The Headroom was increased in 2005), Voyage 430/440, and the 38' Admiral yacht. We ended up with the Voyage 430. We wanted to go with the Lagoon but wasn't satisfied with the lack of galley space. I am sure there are others that we never got to. We also checked out the Island spirit's, older Manta's, and some of the older Fountaine Pajot's and found they all lacked sufficient headroom in the salon. Though most of them did have plenty of headroom in the hulls.

As you know everything is trade offs. For us the must's were headroom, galley up, external engine access, and Yanmar's. If you have any other questions, let me know. Good luck on your search.

Dave
tilmonday@juno.com
tilmonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 23:26   #11

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Laser....
I've walked over a Broadblue 385 at a boatshow and don't remember any specific height issues. (but I am 5" shorter than you) I'll be on one again at the London Boat Show next Tuesday so will report back then.

My own Privilege 435 has plenty of room for my 6' 4" brother in law. Headroom everywhere and 6' 7" long beds.

Mike

www.sailbvi.net
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:46   #12

Laser....
Walked over a Broadblue 385 today and checked out a few dimensions for you....

Head room in main part of salon 6'5"(figures from sales staff), slightly less at fwd end of course. Walkways all 7' or so. fwd cabins maybe 6'1" in standing area. Stern cabins around 6'3" or 4. Berths are at least 6'6" long. Several different layouts available.

Looked like a quality boat. The only criticism I would have is that cockpit locker space appeared very small - maybe I missed something. However 2 fore deck lockers are massive.

If you have any other questions... ask soon. Memory will soon start to fade!

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Old 10-01-2006, 13:15   #13

Mike:

Thank you very much for the scouting report. Everyone has been very helpful on this board. I am planning on going to the Miami boat show next month since it seems like all the likely candidates will be there to walk through including the Broadblue 385.

Thanks to everyones help I have the Broadblue, Privilege, Manta, Voyage, Lagoon and Leopard on the list. There are a few others that will be in Miami as well.

I see that you have your nice looking boat at TMM in BVI. I chartered a Lagoon 410 from them a year ago and really liked the TMM folks. Lots of personal attention in a relaxed atmosphere. If it wasnt for my kids wanting to try someplace else, I would look you up for one of your "special offers"

Thanks agin

Bruce
Old 10-01-2006, 15:03   #14

Anytime Bruce. Have fun at Miami

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Old 31-01-2006, 21:57   #15

Boat: 27' CSK, Hula Kai
Send a message via Yahoo to fhrussell
Laser,