Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 19:57   #1

Catamaran purchase

Hi everyone!

From Sydney (Aust),and have just joined up as I can't stop thinking about cruising the EC of Australia on a cat.
Had small amount of mono experience, but the anchor,(wife) had a bad time of it when we bareboated in the Whitsundays, due to unscrupulous charterers and swore she will never again step foot on a boat. But that wasn't a multihull.
However, time has way of healing all sorts of bad experiences and I have hatched a plan. If I can obtain experience on a cat and take her out for a few days, well, it just might work, so If anyone can advise of how to get on board in Sydney/Newcastle as crew for the day, I would be much obliged.
Cheers
Gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:10   #2

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Catamaran purchase

Can't help with your query but interested in your experience of unscrupulous charterers in the Whitsundays.

"Had small amount of mono experience, but the anchor,(wife) had a bad time of it when we bareboated in the Whitsundays, due to unscrupulous charterers and swore she will never again step foot on a boat."

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 23:05   #3

Boat: Seawind 1160, 38 foot
Send a message via Skype™ to Mick C
I suggest that spending holidays in the Whitsunday's on a cat is probably as ideal sailing for a newbie. Sorry to hear about the bad charter but try again...I can recommend QYC as being excellent. Try a Seawind 1000, they are very easy to sail with two or four.

Regards
Mick
Old 08-04-2012, 14:23   #4

Sorry, missed you by a few weeks or would have been happy to oblige. Take her to Sanctuary Cove boat show and go on a trial sail maybe, or they may do that in Sydney. Finding the right boat is the way to swing the other half. You just fall in love! Then sail very carefully so you don't scare her.
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 23:52   #5

It was at Able Point Marina and some time back now, but I remember when I enquired about cats, they said they didn't hire them. Then of course when we get there, sure there where plenty of cats. Turns out the business was in hand over stage and the out going owner John Bates wanted one more hire of his piece of **** "Tusitalia".
It was a Catalina 36 from memory and just plainly bad.Nothing worked properly as it was on its last legs. The final straw came when we berthed at Hamilton Is and a 46 Hunter berthed along side. When some 10 people emerged from the hull of this magnificent yacht, I enquired into things like showers, heads, cooking, refrigeration and even steering and not to mention the $5 a night less cost than our SS Minow.
That's when I spat it and told them I was coming in If I can get there.
They begrudgingly refunded the remainder of our holiday even though we had spent 3 horrible days on the wreck.
I will not mention the charter company at Able point marina as they have probably changed hands by now anyway, but it has left a more than lasting impression on my wife and now grown up kids which I battle with everytime I mention sailing.
John Bates, one day mate!
Old 25-04-2012, 00:07   #6

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro

We did 3x (luxury) crewed cruises, on cats in the Whitsundays rather than bareboat as we did not have any additional crew of our own. We did them as sort of treats (birthdays etc) as they were by no means cheap but you could book a cabin rather than the whole boat and get treated like royalty for a couple or 3 days. Not easy to find but can maybe point you in the right direction if interested.

Cheers
Lisa
Kiwikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 00:20   #7

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
We hired a 30 ft mono in Abel Point in 1997. Nightmare piece of rubbish.just made it to Hamilton Island when the entire face of the switchboard fell off onto the floor,told them to come get it and the guys at Sunsail saved the day with a brand new 33 ft benetau for 3 days until its first charter.thanks again Sunsail.
Luckily got divorced from that wife kept the horror sailing story quiet and now have a Lagoon cat which we love.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 00:26   #8

Dirkdig, Well funny you should mention 2nd wife and a new boat, same thought crossed my mind the other day, but it was that time and all, if you get my drift!
Old 25-04-2012, 01:14   #9

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Hear you!
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran