Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2015, 20:17   #16

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: catamaran Llama Lo Two missing after yacht capsizes off South African coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
Be interesting to hear the details about this. Keeping the raft tethered to the cat would have increased the odds of being found as well as giving them a breakwater.
Have you ever been in a raft tethered to anything in heavy weather??
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2015, 21:49   #17
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: Catamaran Llama Lo - Two Missing After Yacht Capsizes Off South African Coast

I hope they are all ok 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 19-10-2015, 05:04   #18

Re: Catamaran Llama Lo - Two Missing After Yacht Capsizes Off South African Coast

Excellent! - It will be interesting to hear their story.

How does an overturned cat fare as a life raft in 15 foot seas, etc....
paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 05:24   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Not really, a big cat like that might need more than one if entertaining guests.

Ann
I'm not sure I enjoy your style of entertaining Ann !

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 05:52   #20

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
I'm not sure I enjoy your style of entertaining Ann !
Capsize party?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 06:23   #21

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxfish View Post
How does an overturned cat fare as a life raft in 15 foot seas, etc....
Probably quite a bit better than sitting on the bottom.
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 07:13   #22

This is great news! Talk about dodging a bullet! Can’t wait to hear the rest of the story.
Geekatlrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 07:44   #23

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Re: catamaran Llama Lo Two missing after yacht capsizes off South African coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

Highly unlikely to flip the typical cruising cat, and plenty of other options for getting out if you do.

Mostly common use is as a sales gimmick.
Glad you said it first. I've already taken enough heat for my views on liferafts, lifelines and bilge pumps.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 08:32   #24

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

What brand of cat?
Old 19-10-2015, 08:35   #25

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
Probably quite a bit better than sitting on the bottom.
+1!!!!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 09:12   #26

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I'm glad they are safe. I can't say a happy ending but better than it could have been. I thought you don't leave a boat was the cardinal rule but then again I wasn't there.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 09:24   #27

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

I have thought about this scenario a lot after buying my first cruising cat. I have decided that the ONLY time I will ever get off the boat in survival conditions is if there is an uncontrolled fire. Right side up or upside down the boat is much easier to find, provides much better protection from the elements and has a better food and water (and wine) supply than any liferaft I have ever seen.

The ride would not be fun in bad conditions, but still better than in a liferaft. Reports from all the big storms over the last 40 years reiterate "stay on/with the boat if it is floating". These guys lucked out and good for them. Tip of the hat to the merchant vessels kept searching for them. 50 miles is a long ways away.

As they say, a cats most stable position is upside down, a monohulls is on the bottom of the ocean. (Not trying to start a fight, just one of the inputs I considered when buying a world cruiser.) Am an old time monohull racer so it was a big step to cross over to the dark side. At least now my drinks don't spill in anything under 18 kts going upwind. :-)
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 09:39   #28

Its entirely possible that the sailors didn't chose to leave the Cat. They may have attempted to inflate and lash the raft to the bottom (now top) of the cat, but due to wind and sea conditions (big enough to flip a big cruising cat), they just couldn't make it happen.

Physically overwhelmed and exhausted by struggling with first the capsize, then fighting an inflated life raft in gale + winds, the raft either broke free from the overturned hull, or they were never able to get it there. They may have been forced to make a snap decision to either stay with the raft or the cat, or maybe nature didn't even give them the luxury of choice.

Picture yourself on an overturned Cat in gale+ winds, being swept from stem to stern with breaking seas while trying to secure an inflatable boat to the bottom of a capsized cat (which generally don't have any tie downs).

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 09:58   #29

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Its entirely possible that the sailors didn't chose to leave the Cat. They may have attempted to inflate and lash the raft to the bottom (now top) of the cat, but due to wind and sea conditions (big enough to flip a big cruising cat), they just couldn't make it happen.

Physically overwhelmed and exhausted by struggling with first the capsize, then fighting an inflated life raft in gale + winds, the raft either broke free from the overturned hull, or they were never able to get it there. They may have been forced to make a snap decision to either stay with the raft or the cat, or maybe nature didn't even give them the luxury of choice.

Picture yourself on an overturned Cat in gale+ winds, being swept from stem to stern with breaking seas while trying to secure an inflatable boat to the bottom of a capsized cat (which generally don't have any tie downs).

Not cleats on the bottom? As I said I wasn't there. I'm just wondering about probably pitch poling? Did it, the weather come up that fast or was shortening sail not done?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 10:07   #30

My comment wasn't directed at you Cadence, I read several people asking the question why they hadn't stayed with the vessel, I just took my best guess

FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, size, yacht, capsize, South Africa, Africa