Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2016, 22:09   #1

Boat: currently boatless
Catamaran flips in Rough Seas - Fraser Island

Hello all,
Only just heard of a catamaran being flipped by rough seas off Fraser Island in Queensland, Australia. Fortunatley both crewman were found clinging to the upturned hulls and rescued by Helicopter.
I could only find scant details on what has occurred. This report from the local newspaper

"Two people have been rescued overnight from an overturned catamaran just south of Fraser Island. The vessel overturned in rough seas on Wide Bay Bar just before 11-30pm. The Sunshine Coast RACQ Careflight Rescue Helicopter hovered above the overturned vessel until the Coastguard boat arrived. The sailors were safely transported to dry land.

Source: Sailors rescued from overturned catamaran - Hot 91.1
Local News
© Hot 91.1

Just glad everyone is safe and sound and a big well done to the people involved in the rescue.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine.
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 22:16   #2

Boat: wharram tiki 26
Re: Catamaran flips in Rough Seas - Fraser Island

That swell is on the increase too. Has been big now for two weeks.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 22:37   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ex TC Winston brings the large swell, not a surprise.

Poor guys. We knew another cat dug in a hull and flipped at WBB, too.

Ann
Old 25-02-2016, 22:47   #4

Boat: LAGOON 400

My first crossing ...

benign conditions or so I thought.

It all went fine, no probs, but suddenly 4m water hole in front of the boat ! Depth was 20 so no issues with ground.

Wife has not even seen it and wasnt big enough to cause too much stress to the boat. Probably 6 or 7 different story.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 22:58   #5

Boat: Skookum 53'

Glad they got off safe.
Old 25-02-2016, 23:04   #6

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE WEATHER WARNING
for ABNORMALLY HIGH TIDES and DANGEROUS SURF

For people in parts of the
Wide Bay and Burnett and
Southeast Coast Forecast Districts.

Issued at 4:52 pm Friday, 26 February 2016.
Synoptic Situation:
At 4pm AEST, Ex-Tropical Cyclone Winston was approximately 850km east of Brisbane. It will continue tracking in a general westerly direction this evening before most likely shifting northwest early Saturday morning and during the weekend.
The system is expected to retain an intense wind structure up until at least Sunday. Winds and waves are expected to increase about southern Queensland beaches south of Sandy Cape on Saturday, leading to dangerous surf conditions and significant beach erosion.
Water levels on the high tide could possibly exceed the highest tide of the year about exposed beaches of the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast and also Stradbroke and Moreton Islands during tonight and through Saturday.
The system should start to weaken from Sunday, with winds and waves gradually decreasing along the southern Queensland coast.

This advisory has been current for a few days.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 23:29   #7

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Crazy to attempt night crossing in big swells. Not the first to have come to grief in the same situation. The Wide Bay Bar is a cat killer, for sure.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 23:48   #8

Boat: currently boatless

Just as a side comment,
the Wide Bay Bar is not I repeat not a Cat killer. It is a ocean bar like any other bar other then it differs in course and length ands as with any ocean boar requires the subsequent caution and safety when crossing. I am not going to comment on what occured on this occasion as I have no idea of what occurred or exactly where it occurred or the cirmcumstances of what happened.
I have crossed the WBB on several occasions and provided all relevant safety mearsures have been undertaken I am happy to cross it. If you disrespect the requirements of crossing a ocean bar then at some stage its going to bite you.
With any bar crossing even following all the required safety issues a rogue wave can come out of no where and cause issues.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 23:51   #9

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Just as a side comment,
the Wide Bay Bar is not I repeat not a Cat killer. It is a ocean bar like any other bar other then it differs in course and length ands as with any ocean boar requires the subsequent caution and safety when crossing. I am not going to comment on what occured on this occasion as I have no idea of what occurred or exactly where it occurred or the cirmcumstances of what happened.
I have crossed the WBB on several occasions and provided all relevant safety mearsures have been undertaken I am happy to cross it. If you disrespect the requirements of crossing a ocean bar then at some stage its going to bite you.
With any bar crossing even following all the required safety issues a rogue wave can come out of no where and cause issues.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
Sure, that's why this is the first to ever flip coming through.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 00:02   #10
cruiser

I am of another opinion. People who decide to go to sea in obviously unseaworthy vessels should not be rescued. They should be left to their fate.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 00:10   #11

Boat: LAGOON 400

boys today really looking to pick a fight.

life sooo boring for them.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 00:37   #12

A bit of Googling turns up 12 meter catamaran, careflight chopper located and stood by until WBB coastgaurd removed two POB.

BOM shows less than 15 knots, 2.5 meter swell, high tide at 2130.

Ok what breed of cat is it?
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 02:01   #13

Also, supposedly the Coastgaurd vessel got into strife on the way in after the rescue.
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 02:03   #14
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
I am of another opinion. People who decide to go to sea in obviously unseaworthy vessels should not be rescued. They should be left to their fate.

Paul
Huh... a bit off topic wouldn't you say

There is nothing in this thread suggesting the vessel was unseaworthly.

It might be possible to speculate the skipper made some errors of judgement but as we have no details, even this should be avoided - IMO.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 03:11   #15

How is it that we confuse speculation with reality, opinion with fact, bias for truth.
Basically there are currently very few pieces of genuine information.

So far there are two identifiable news articles (small local news outlets in Maroochydore and Gympie), but whether truth of otherwise, time will tell.
Media Reports.
1. Location: Wide Bay Bar
2. 11:30 pm
3. 12m Cat
4. "Over turned"
5. All safe after VMR vessel rescue with helicopter oversight using night vision equipment (night vision equipment being the thrust of one of the news stories).

Comment:
1. Although ex tropical cyclone Winston is approaching the SE Queensland Coast, it's impact last night was minor in local terms, being related to the established swell from events earlier in the week well off shore. Swell height last night at the Mooloolabah Wave rider Bouy was 2.5-3.0m. The pending Strong wind warning takes effect tomorrow as it nears the coast although tonight conditions are now building with all coastal beaches closed.
2. I have crossed Wide Bay Bar 18 or more times. I have headed out in calm conditions at night, but to enter at night would be foolhardy in the extreme especially with a 3m swell running easterly.
3. Last night's high tide was 2.0m at 22:27, so at least the crossing was reasonably well timed for the tide, admittedly one hour into the ebb.
4. New and updated waypoints provided by VMR Tin Can Bay differ from the charts (paper and electronic). At night it would be very easy to find oneself west of the correct path between WPT 1 and WPT 2 where it does get pretty shallow and surf frequently runs, especially with a 3m swell (plus, let's say a 0.5-1.0m sea). The wind last night was 15+ kts SES, being with the swell but against a early ebbing tide of only 2.0m.
5. On the correct track, there would have been 5-6m depth. Off track, west of the line as reflected in most charts, it may have been only 2.5m or even less with surf.
6. "Over turning" a 12m cat in these conditions, still seems difficult to understand. I can only imagine they began surfing, and either broached or grounded in the swell. This is conjecture however.
7. Unfortunately, we may never know what happened, as the media are good at announcing events, but are poor on the after-story unless there is a large readership. I suspect both the Maroochydore and Gympie local news outlets will not follow up on this event....
8 Very pleasing to hear all are well, but poor choices placed the VMR personnel in great danger, and sent a chopper 50NM from base at great cost to those that pay tax.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran