Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2016, 03:52   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Catamaran flips in Rough Seas - Fraser Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Crazy to attempt night crossing in big swells. Not the first to have come to grief in the same situation. The Wide Bay Bar is a cat killer, for sure.
FFS, no mono or power boat had an issue there?? And you wonder why people get cranky. I have sailed innumerable cats across it innumerable times, and none of them were killed.

Anyone who crosses the Bar in anything above perfect conditions should do it as the book says, in early morning with at least half an incoming tide.

Quote:
Quote:
Sure, that's why this is the first to ever flip coming through.
Its not. But don't let the facts get in the way of your bias.

Quote:
You do know it's considered by some to be the most treacherous bar on the east coast of Australia,
I don't know who the "some" is you refer to but they obviously haven't sailed into the Tweed Bar on a bad day, or Narooma, or Lakes Entrance. To name but three way shittier bars that I have crossed.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 03:56   #17

Wait...there's more....

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

Hopefully, it wasn't a sports cat like the one the Courier Mail used as their picture.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 04:20   #18

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
FFS, no mono or power boat had an issue there?? And you wonder why people get cranky. I have sailed innumerable cats across it innumerable times, and none of them were killed.

Anyone who crosses the Bar in anything above perfect conditions should do it as the book says, in early morning with at least half an incoming tide.

Quote:
Its not. But don't let the facts get in the way of your bias.

I don't know who the "some" is you refer to but they obviously haven't sailed into the Tweed Bar on a bad day, or Narooma, or Lakes Entrance. To name but three way shittier bars that I have crossed.
Oh dear, if I'd known all you cat owners were going to get your knickers in a twist, I wouldn't have stated some facts. I'll happily verify all I've said if you guys would like. Or you can save me the effort by reading past issues of the Coastal Passage for starters and leave me to supply the link, with full explanation as to why this particular bar is dangerous, provided by those rather uninformed VMR guys that actually do the rescuing at the WBB.

Now, for all I know hundreds of monohulls may have come to grief. I'm sure all those rescued cat sailors could have a chuckle to themselves over that if it is the case. Now don't get me wrong. I love cats. If I wasn't poor I'd most likely own one. My unbiased opinion of them doesn't make them any less susceptible to pitchpoling whilst crossing boisterous bars in the wrong conditions, however.

And my beater old Nantucket has done just fine over some pretty fired up river and creek bars, thanks to whoever for asking.

Sheesh.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 05:03   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

OK guys, I have removed some posts due to name calling, unfortunate too as other than the name calling, the posts had some good info I'm sure.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 05:06   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Catamaran flips in Rough Seas - Fraser Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wind View Post
8 Very pleasing to hear all are well, but poor choices placed the VMR personnel in great danger, and sent a chopper 50NM from base at great cost to those that pay tax.
I am So F**kin Sick of these kind of remarks...
Usually they come from 'Loadsa Money' who hire accountants etc for the sole purpose of Tax Avoidance... a legal loophole to avoid their due's.
But you don't hear a whisper about Tax Waste when it happens to them...
And its highly unlikely you will find any of the Breed serving as unpaid Lifeboat crew.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 05:40   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I am So F**kin Sick of these kind of remarks...
Usually they come from 'Loadsa Money' who hire accountants etc for the sole purpose of Tax Avoidance... a legal loophole to avoid their due's.
But you don't hear a whisper about Tax Waste when it happens to them...
And its highly unlikely you will find any of the Breed serving as unpaid Lifeboat crew.
Sorry to have offended you so significantly. Please accept my apologies.
Nevertheless, your characterization of me is deeply offensive also, but I'll let it go as i have come to respect you and your comments on this forum.

Still, the reality remains that poor choices like those described do generate great "costs" whether they be life and financial risks to the victims or the life risks of the rescuer. Lets not down play the danger of being in a 30 foot lifeboat on a coastal bar, in shallow water with breaking seas all around in the pitch black of night. Almost certainly the chopper was there as much for the rescuers as it was for the crew of the upturned vessel. You may not care about the financial costs to the community but i have a right to regardless.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 05:45   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
OK guys, I have removed some posts due to name calling, unfortunate too as other than the name calling, the posts had some good info I'm sure.
So long, farewell.
Old 26-02-2016, 07:33   #23

Boat: 38' Beneteau Moorings

Two questions
What is a 'bar'? google doesn't help in this instance.
second somebody mentioned a 4m water hole - what is a water hole?
(in my world it is a place that sells rum and beer...)

thx
tikirawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 07:40   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikirawker View Post
Two questions
What is a 'bar'? google doesn't help in this instance.
second somebody mentioned a 4m water hole - what is a water hole?
(in my world it is a place that sells rum and beer...)

thx
1) Bar- Large mass of sand or earth, formed by the surge of the sea. They are mostly found at the entrances of great rivers or havens, and often render navigation extremely dangerous, but confer tranquility once inside.

2) Water Hole- A hole in the water.
Old 26-02-2016, 07:46   #25

Boat: Prout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
I am of another opinion. People who decide to go to sea in obviously unseaworthy vessels should not be rescued. They should be left to their fate.

Paul
And then having had a life of boredom........you die
inchcailloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 08:10   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Catamaran flips in Rough Seas - Fraser Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wind View Post
Sorry to have offended you so significantly. Please accept my apologies.
Nevertheless, your characterization of me is deeply offensive also, but I'll let it go as i have come to respect you and your comments on this forum.

Still, the reality remains that poor choices like those described do generate great "costs" whether they be life and financial risks to the victims or the life risks of the rescuer. Lets not down play the danger of being in a 30 foot lifeboat on a coastal bar, in shallow water with breaking seas all around in the pitch black of night. Almost certainly the chopper was there as much for the rescuers as it was for the crew of the upturned vessel. You may not care about the financial costs to the community but i have a right to regardless.
Sorry you took it as a Personal slight.
it was not meant as such.. more a generalisation as I do not know if you are a wealthy tax dodger or not..
Every time there's a rescue we get the same chorus.. 'Oh My $$$$'s.. Woe is me.. '
Yet if and when these people find themselves in the same boat it can often be...
"I pay my taxes.. why is the CG/RNLI whatever not faster off the mark.. I mean.. it took them 1hr to come and tow me in.. almost missed my train home"
This is a 'Real Life' scenario every summer w/end in the UK.. but its okay coz they are tax payers...
Only problem in the UK is.. its a Charity.. Not paid for by Taxes..
I was under the impression that OZ Rescue in the main was the same.. Unpaid Voluteers

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 08:36   #27

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Sorry you took it as a Personal slight.

it was not meant as such.. more a generalisation as I do not know if you are a wealthy tax dodger or not..

Every time there's a rescue we get the same chorus.. 'Oh My $$$$'s.. Woe is me.. '

Yet if and when these people find themselves in the same boat it can often be...

"I pay my taxes.. why is the CG/RNLI whatever not faster off the mark.. I mean.. it took them 1hr to come and tow me in.. almost missed my train home"

This is a 'Real Life' scenario every summer w/end in the UK.. but its okay coz they are tax payers...

Only problem in the UK is.. its a Charity.. Not paid for by Taxes..

I was under the impression that OZ Rescue in the main was the same.. Unpaid Voluteers

Yup, the guys in the rescue boat are local volunteers. A year ago they launched their hefty shark cat with four crew to tow me to a safe anchorage behind Double Island Point, a task which took six hours of their time and a lot of fuel with no recompense or fee asked.

Sail around the prop at the time acting like a parachute drogue, pitch black and drifting into the beach. Very anxious time.

Will be looking them up next month for a thanks and cheque.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forums lily hhrn
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 08:36   #28

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
1) Bar- Large mass of sand or earth, formed by the surge of the sea. They are mostly found at the entrances of great rivers or havens, and often render navigation extremely dangerous, but confer tranquility once inside.

AKA; a boat.

It's funny that when the Coast Guard is hovering around practising rescues it's not a waste of taxpayer's money, but when they actually rescue someone.....

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 08:36   #29

Boat: 38' Beneteau Moorings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post

lol!!
in my mind 50/50 it was a sandbar. Tampa Bay has more than its fair share...

and I am glad to see you don't know what a hole in the water is either. is it similar to a black hole? do i need to understand string theory??
tikirawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 08:47   #30
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Wide Bay Bar is tricky. Its long... really long... about a mile and then there's a dog leg, or there was when I went through.

The point of no return is probably well before you realise you are in deep ****: hard to turn around and you are just drawn into a vortex.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran