Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2013, 06:32   #16
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'
 
Palarran's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Me - Michigan / Boat - Tenerife
Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Posts: 2,641
Re: Catamaran Cruising

Every cat will have bridge deck wave slap depending on the size and direction of the waves = noise. That you can get used to. What is difficult to get over is slamming, where the boat creates hydraulic pressure and stops moving up and down. That really rattles the ship.

MDgale,
I see you are new on the forum, welcome.
There are probably about 100 threads on CF that discuss bridge deck clearance and wave slamming. Search “catamaran bridge deck clearance”. Go to the search tab, and use the second option "Google Custom Search".
__________________

__________________
Not all who wander are lost

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 06:44   #17
Senior Cruiser
 
Talbot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Brighton, UK
Boat: Privilege 37
Posts: 3,579
Images: 32
Re: Catamaran Cruising

Bridge deck clearance is a major factor in slamming, but not the only one.

The design of the hull under the bridgedeck has a large part to play in the force of the slamming, and an even larger part in ensuring that slamming does not lead to damage.
__________________

__________________
"Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors - and miss."
Robert A Heinlein
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 07:06   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,949
Re: Catamaran Cruising

Having owned a smaller cat, 32 feet, my experience is that cats are generally much noisier than monos, especially offshore. Whether or not you get used to it I can't tell you--I never did in more than 12 years of ownership. Most of the time it was not particularly objectionable, but during an offshore gale the sound level can become very tiring. By contrast, we once owned a heavy and deep wooden boat that was super quiet down below, even offshore. It was certainly more restful going down below during bad weather. Having been aboard a lot of larger cats at anchor and coastwise sailing, they are just noisier, on average, than most monos. There are always pluses and minuses of every design and type of boat.
__________________
Kettlewell Cruising
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 01:18   #19
Registered User
 
mdgale's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Auckland, NZ to Cape Town, SA
Boat: Seahorse 52
Posts: 12
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Having owned a smaller cat, 32 feet, my experience is that cats are generally much noisier than monos, especially offshore. Whether or not you get used to it I can't tell you--I never did in more than 12 years of ownership. Most of the time it was not particularly objectionable, but during an offshore gale the sound level can become very tiring. By contrast, we once owned a heavy and deep wooden boat that was super quiet down below, even offshore. It was certainly more restful going down below during bad weather. Having been aboard a lot of larger cats at anchor and coastwise sailing, they are just noisier, on average, than most monos. There are always pluses and minuses of every design and type of boat.
Many thanks Kettlewell :-)
__________________
mdgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 01:19   #20
Registered User
 
mdgale's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Auckland, NZ to Cape Town, SA
Boat: Seahorse 52
Posts: 12
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Every cat will have bridge deck wave slap depending on the size and direction of the waves = noise. That you can get used to. What is difficult to get over is slamming, where the boat creates hydraulic pressure and stops moving up and down. That really rattles the ship.

MDgale,
I see you are new on the forum, welcome.
There are probably about 100 threads on CF that discuss bridge deck clearance and wave slamming. Search “catamaran bridge deck clearance”. Go to the search tab, and use the second option "Google Custom Search".
Many thanks Palarran :-)
__________________
mdgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 01:20   #21
Registered User
 
mdgale's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Auckland, NZ to Cape Town, SA
Boat: Seahorse 52
Posts: 12
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Bridge deck clearance is a major factor in slamming, but not the only one.

The design of the hull under the bridgedeck has a large part to play in the force of the slamming, and an even larger part in ensuring that slamming does not lead to damage.
Many thanks Talbot
__________________
mdgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 01:21   #22
Registered User
 
mdgale's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Auckland, NZ to Cape Town, SA
Boat: Seahorse 52
Posts: 12
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
yeah forward berth is the worst place to be. The 380 tends to pivot around the helm so the further away from there, the more the motion. I think most of the noise isn't from waves on the bridgedeck, its from waves slapping the sides of the hulls. They are large and slab like and remain vertical, unlike mono's where the hull is usually at a 45 degree angle. The larger vertical fibreglass amplifies the sounds like a drum. We haven't found it to be a problem, but I've never tried to sleep in the foreward cabin in bad conditions either.
Many thanks Monte!
__________________
mdgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 03:53   #23
Registered User
 
mdgale's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Auckland, NZ to Cape Town, SA
Boat: Seahorse 52
Posts: 12
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbatical II View Post
Let me say at the outset, I am not very experienced with cats having only been involved with 1 delivery several years ago from Sydney to Mackay. I was just as amazed as you with the degree of wave impact noise. I am told its all to do with bridge deck clearance and the particular cats that both you and I travelled on obviously musn't have had enough of it. From memory it was not an issue with following seas which is what we all like to find anyway.
Thanks Sabbatical
__________________
mdgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 20:38   #24
Registered User
 
snort's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trunk (boot) of my car
Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Posts: 1,032
Re: Catamaran Cruising

The shape of the underside of a catamaran would make for an interesting design debate.
In that spirit, any Lerouge owners who can attest to the 'quieter' shape of these particular cats.
__________________

__________________
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
catamaran, cruising

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruising and the Coming Storm ~ Recession, Depression, Climate Change, Peak Oil jtbsail Off Topic Forum 162 13-10-2015 13:17
Would You Like to Write About Cruising and Get Paid for That? Andrewkar Commercial Posts 10 25-05-2012 14:41
Cruising with Kids from Split Parents Mellowsail Boat Ownership & Making a Living 11 11-02-2012 22:06
For Sale: Kennex 445 Cruising Catamaran silverblue Classifieds Archive 4 24-12-2011 09:34



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:53.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.