Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2011, 05:38   #256
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Re: Catamaran Capsizes in Galveston Bay

eDoc (aka topgun) is a racing boat, so comparisons to cruising cats are as dubious as comparing a cruising monohull with the old 12 meter America's Cup boats - i.e., 'if an America's Cup crew can't keep their boat from cracking in half and sinking, the rest of you have no chance'. Very helpful.

Brad
Old 29-11-2011, 06:18   #257

Actually we do, along with a life raft, solas flares, a MOM and a Life Sling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I know you only sail on a lake, but don't you carry an EPIRB?
Old 29-11-2011, 06:18   #258

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
eDoc (aka topgun) is a racing boat, so comparisons to cruising cats are as dubious as comparing a cruising monohull with the old 12 meter America's Cup boats - i.e., 'if an America's Cup crew can't keep their boat from cracking in half and sinking, the rest of you have no chance'. Very helpful.

Brad
Right, And the Mac 36 that started this thread is really fast and is a racer/cruiser with the emphasis on racer. The accomodations are just slightly above a tent. I wouldn't want to "blue" water cruise it. BOB
Old 29-11-2011, 06:22   #259

How many kids were sailing aboard Rambler when the bulb left the fin?

Clock, you totally miss the point. The accident on the cat was a result of actions by the sailors aboard the boat. The Rambler accident was an engineering flaw. Active vs inactive, get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
Is it any different when monohull racers with actual fast boats such as Rambler call for help when their keel falls off, no it isnt, actual fast boats(as distinct from the usual 4ksb racers) these days regardless of the number of hulls are closer to the edge than they used to be and sometimes things go wrong.
Steve.
Old 29-11-2011, 06:24   #260

I know exactly who he is. I have a copy of his Multihulll Seamanship on my shelf. That doesn't change the cavelier attitude and frankly it's disapointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
You may want to do some research on Dr Gav before you start dissin him, aside from his wealth of experience, authorship of books on the subject of seamanship, he even helps mono sailors (he was the doc on duty where a lot of the Sydney to Hobart crews were evacuated to).

I think the picture he wants to paint is - I stuffed up, I made lots of simple errors and I shouldn't have. Honest and helpful to others.
Old 29-11-2011, 06:47   #261
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Catamaran Capsizes in Galveston Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
I know exactly who he is. I have a copy of his Multihulll Seamanship on my shelf. That doesn't change the cavelier attitude and frankly it's disapointing.
Hey.... If there were no Cavelier's.... Roundheads would be extinct...
Sorry... that should read... would never exist...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 29-11-2011, 06:54   #262
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Think maybe we are getting into a bit of thread drift? Sorry, but all of this relates to what happened to the Macgregor 36 in Galveston in what way? It strikes me that most of us have answers to the original post, and we are now beating a generic issue (different cats capsizing in different circumstances) to death!

Put another way, if someone wants to start a thread debating capsized cats versus sinking monohulls generally, go for it. At least I and others will be duly warned and can ignore yet another thread debating something that is incapable of resolution!

Brad
Old 29-11-2011, 07:03   #263
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Catamaran Capsizes in Galveston Bay

What.... Attitude affects Stability....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 29-11-2011, 07:22   #264

Here's a MacGregor 36 for sale. As posted before it is a trailer sailer and an overgrown Hobie cat. As this is the Cruisers Forum and this is clearly not a cruiser perhaps this discussion should just die.......Please BOB\View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com
Old 29-11-2011, 09:00   #265
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
The man gave a list of mistakes which provides everyone an opportunity to learn from them. I've not heard of him but many of you have and for someone with an audience to come forward and make such an admission public can be challenging I think. I find that generous, not cavalier. Your attitude I find to be a real head scratcher though. Is it that you wish to be sure this thread serves as little useful purpose as possible?

Old 29-11-2011, 09:36   #266

Mac 36
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mac 36.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	34229  
Old 29-11-2011, 11:42   #267

Quote:
Actually we do, along with a life raft, solas flares, a MOM and a Life Sling.
So if/when things go wrong, you'd hope to be able to summon outside help wouldn't you?

Were the Sydney-Hobart crews "cavalier" when they asked helicopter crews to operate at the extremes of their endurance to rescue them?

The RTW yacht racers who needed rescuing from the Southern ocean?
Old 29-11-2011, 11:46   #268

[QUOTE=catty;827568]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I think the picture he wants to paint is - I stuffed up, I made lots of simple errors and I shouldn't have. Honest and helpful to others.[/QUOTE

Yes , which can be interpreted as "If I can't keep one of these multi thingys buttered side up the rest of you have got no chance"
You claim to have owned dozens of cats and sailed them millions of miles. How many times have YOU capsized?
Old 29-11-2011, 14:24   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
The man gave a list of mistakes which provides everyone an opportunity to learn from them. I've not heard of him but many of you have and for someone with an audience to come forward and make such an admission public can be challenging I think. I find that generous, not cavalier. Your attitude I find to be a real head scratcher though. Is it that you wish to be sure this thread serves as little useful purpose as possible?

A little unfair. People can interpret things in different ways. I agree with joli, the post came across as cavalier, and that's life if one owns a catamaran. No mention of the fact that the boat in question is highly overcanvased. No mention of the fact that his recent experience has been slopping around the pacific on two undercanvased cruising boats (one a hitchhiker I think) and no mention of the racing experience of the crew (kids with miles up on a overloaded cattlemaran don't count for much on this type of vessel. But hey Joe taxpayer is there with the rescue service.

Just cause one is a sailor into self promotion like few others doesn't make them an expert.

You may find comments like your last line do the most damage.

Regards
Old 29-11-2011, 14:35   #270
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty View Post
A little unfair. People can interpret things in different ways. I agree with joli, the post came across as cavalier, and that's life if one owns a catamaran. No mention of the fact that the boat in question is highly overcanvased. No mention of the fact that his recent experience has been slopping around the pacific on two undercanvased cruising boats (one a hitchhiker I think) and no mention of the racing experience of the crew (kids with miles up on a overloaded cattlemaran don't count for much on this type of vessel. But hey Joe taxpayer is there with the rescue service.

Just cause one is a sailor into self promotion like few others doesn't make them an expert.

Regards
You must have read a different post them I did? Where does he say or even suggest that's life if you own a catamaran? He doesn't say too much canvas however "1. Rising wind and reef lines removed" I take to mean the same thing.

The other information doesn't seem relevant to me since he's not any place in his post he claims anything else but a failure to deal with the circumstances he was faced with.

Closed Thread

Tags
catamaran