Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2011, 01:52   #46

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Re: Catamaran Capsizes in Galveston Bay

check your date I think you're a few years out LOL
Old 21-11-2011, 02:22   #47

Mmmm, still not a lot of facts.

Whilst on the subject of catamaran "problems" have you seen this.......Fears for missing yachtsman | News | NT News | Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia | ntnews.com.au

Its not looking good for this cat sailor.
Regards
Old 21-11-2011, 03:54   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
.......sailing in extreme areas where you deal with these conditions all the time, like Cape Horn, North Sea etc. You won't see many cats there,
Cept for the multis that have set the round the world records for the last 15 years or so, mainly tris, but still plenty of cats and indeed plenty of cruising cats do it. Heck most South African boats are delivered on their own bottom and do Cape Agulhas as a matter of course, I understand it can be vicious like the horn

Quote:
On statistics, the insurance companies have these: cats lead to higher claims or so I have been told. The problem is that you can never know the factor behind this.. for all we know it's because of the massive bareboat cat chartering in the Caribbean (unexperienced landlubbers sailing them) and has nothing to do with the design itself.
Insurance data in Australia is quite the opposite, similar boats at similar cost i.e. a $300K production glass foam mono with X amount of electronics etc is more expensive (marginally) than a $300 K production cat also with X amount of electronics etc.
Old 21-11-2011, 04:03   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty View Post
Mmmm, still not a lot of facts.

Whilst on the subject of catamaran "problems" have you seen this.......Fears for missing yachtsman | News | NT News | Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia | ntnews.com.au

Its not looking good for this cat sailor.
Regards
Could you tell me precisely how that matter relates to a catamaran "problem"?

For those that haven't followed the link that catty placed it refers to chap falling off a cat, which then apparently sailed it self onto a beach, indeed I am unsure as to how anyone can say he fell overboard, all that can be said is that he is no longer on the boat.

I think you are being somewhat mischievous to suggest this is a catamaran problem.

TEXT Below:

A YACHTSMAN is missing after falling overboard in the Cape Hotham area about 80km northeast of Darwin last month, police have said. Water Police senior constable Michael Wyatt said police believe the man fell from the 12m catamaran "Screamer" sometime between October 21 and October 25. A helicopter pilot found the catamaran on Tuesday morning, sen-constable Wyatt said. "The vessel was beached in mangroves in Chambers Bay, 100km from Darwin with nobody aboard," he said. "The missing man is believed to have departed Darwin on October 21 to sail solo to Cairns." Water Police are searching the area and police have asked anybody with information on the vessel or its movements to call them on 131444 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Old 21-11-2011, 04:26   #50
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I think you are being somewhat mischievous to suggest this is a catamaran problem.
Maybe he was an avid CF reader, and was content in the "knowledge" that Catamarans are 110% stable and never react to sea conditions. or Physics - when he stood at the stern to have a whizz .

But I am sure his last thoughts were "at least she didn't flip"
Old 21-11-2011, 04:36   #51
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Lloyds Of London told us they give better rates to cats because they considered them to be more seaworthy. Guess that negates the North Sea comment.
Old 21-11-2011, 04:44   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
This season I sailed past 4 recently sunken monohulls in Queensland. Also saw one more mentioned as a hazard to navigation in the notices to mariners. Would you surmise from that that monohulls are unsuitable for Queensland waters?

EVERY TIME a catamaran capsizes anywhere on the planet, under any circumstances, we get the same garbage in here.
What I said was anecdotal and doesn't prove anything. Just my personal experience from being out in UK waters a relatively small percentage of the total days in the year (I had 52 sea days last year; I guess a similar number this year).

It was, however, really surprising to me that 1% of the boats accounted for such a high proportion of the distress calls I heard. Probably a coincidence, or perhaps, catamarans do get into trouble more often in waters like these. I wonder if any other UK sailors noticed all these incidents this year?
Old 21-11-2011, 05:00   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Catamaran Capsizes in Galveston Bay

Come on guys... lets face it the CE is a joke... a move by the Politicians... under pressure from manufacturers to stop the flood of cheap boats coming across from the States... it does nothing to make boats safer... just adds up to a bunch of sticky labels telling you what you already know... this is a gas locker... this is a toilet... this is a engine compartment... and only costs you £12K+
Brussels... gives me the sh*ts... and not just the veg...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 21-11-2011, 05:12   #54

Any boat can end up on its lid. The bigger question is; how quick can it recover?

Old 21-11-2011, 05:45   #55
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

As a 28-year cat sailor--from beach cats to performance bots, to cruising cats--I am always mindful of the fact that a cat can capsize and do it quite quickly if hit with the right gust from the blue. I seldom relax from that posture completely. Those that denigh this reality do it at their own peril. Boats are alway compromises, and I've been saticfied with mine: unsinkable, shallow draft, fast, great visibility, comfortable at anchor and pure fun off the wind, OK up wind, and requiring close attention in squally conditions if signifigant sail is carried.

The scary trend I see is towards cats where the sheets are inacessible from the helm seat. Stupid.Wide helm seats with neither bolster nor foot rests to hold the skipper in place if the boat does lean. I think these trends suggest buyers are being courted that have no experience and hence no BUSINESS buying a cat. Folks buying them because they look stable. And I fear we are going to see cat safety records decline, as non-cat sailors buy them and do stupid stuff. Monohulls as a class suffer fools more gently.

Of course, if we reduce sail sufficient to match speed with a same-LWL and otherwise equivalent monohull, they get pretty tame. That may seem like a jab, but it's not; most cats are in some sense over canvassed, because it's more fun and becase acts benifit from the power, hull speed not being a hard line.
Old 21-11-2011, 06:01   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Good thing is, the boat stayed afloat, and everyone survived. Far too many boats don't stay afloat, and far too many people die as a result.

Unless they were in the Houston Ship Channel, the bay is only 10-12 feet deep. Not much room to sink a big cat.

I always tell my passengers, hey if we sink, just stand up.

-Kent
Old 21-11-2011, 06:31   #57
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Cept for the multis that have set the round the world records for the last 15 years or so, mainly tris, but still plenty of cats and indeed plenty of cruising cats do it. Heck most South African boats are delivered on their own bottom and do Cape Agulhas as a matter of course, I understand it can be vicious like the horn
Like I said, it's no use looking at races, record attempt etc. because risk taking and very professional crews are a 100% certainty in those cases. I do not agree that the Horn sees plenty cruising cats... it's mono territory there.

Quote:
Insurance data in Australia is quite the opposite, similar boats at similar cost i.e. a $300K production glass foam mono with X amount of electronics etc is more expensive (marginally) than a $300 K production cat also with X amount of electronics etc.
Wow. So now the question is why this is the other way around from one area to the next. I can only guess that their statistics show the opposite from the other area. May be it's just that their samples are too small for reliable results?

Another poster wrote that Lloyds of London favors cats with policy costs... I can say with 99.9% that this is not the case. Lloyds of London doesn't sell yacht insurance apart from sheiks' yachts or when they pool with other big assurance companies to underwrite a product from (let's call it) a reseller (like Jedi's policy). They also take their turns on policies offered on the London market, which includes insuring rocket/satellite launches, nuclear fusion experiments etc. Have a very close look at who underwrites your policy... it must have the exact three words "Lloyds of London". Many people named Lloyds start their own business in insurance...

ciao!
Nick.
Old 21-11-2011, 07:24   #58
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Lloyds Of London did sell yacht insurance 20 years ago. That's who insured us and they were the ones that found the catamaran to be more seaworthy. Maybe things have changed in the last 20 years.
Old 21-11-2011, 07:37   #59

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I heard rumored that the Cat in Galveston Bay was a Ferro Cement Cat with a Rocna anchor that held too well in a blow and flipped it. Even though made out of cement, Cats are sooooo awesome that it floated upside down and later levitated and flipped iitself right side up...Amazing!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 21-11-2011, 07:39   #60
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I heard rumored that the Cat in Galveston Bay was a Ferro Cement Cat with a Rocna anchor that held too well in a blow and flipped it. Even though made out of cement, Cats are sooooo awesome that it floated upside down and later levitated and flipped iitself right side up...Amazing!
By God I think your right!
Closed Thread

Tags
catamaran