Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2011, 17:48   #271

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Re: Catamaran Capsizes in Galveston Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
How many kids were sailing aboard Rambler when the bulb left the fin?

Clock, you totally miss the point. The accident on the cat was a result of actions by the sailors aboard the boat. The Rambler accident was an engineering flaw. Active vs inactive, get it?
Actually, you missed my point joli which was that the guys who race the canting keelers, knowing full well the fairly good possibility that the keel could fall off, continue to go offshore in them because thats where the performance is with monos, but they can take the risks because they can call for help, just like the multihull guys, ONE TYPE IS NOT BETTER THAN THE OTHER, only different.
Steve.
Old 30-11-2011, 01:52   #272
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Catty -v- Gavin Le Seuer, I know where the credibility lays for me.
Old 30-11-2011, 02:56   #273

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
That's it! I am selling my cat to buy a mono. Then when I see a cat sailor tying up to a mooring, I will look smugly at him and shout out: "you tied it securely, mate?!?"
Or if I am motoring and a cat, also motoring, comes in on my starboard side, I will shoot lasers from my eyes at him because I am a know-it-all mono sailor, and we all know that the boat on the port side has right of way.
True experiences.
My point? Who cares! You shout at me, I give you the finger. When you get in trouble I will help you and vice versa. We may even share jokes during pot luck.
Too many sailors becoming armchair critics on this thread, if you ask me. The poor ass is dead. Please stop beating it, unless you have some funny dead ass jokes to share.
Old 30-11-2011, 11:03   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Catty -v- Gavin Le Seuer, I know where the credibility lays for me.

LOL!

Come on Catty, with all your VAST experience in multihulls, and given that according to you they are impossible to keep upright, just how many times have YOU capsized? (Not talking about hobies either.)

And then there's the more obvious question - with all their "disadvatages", and the fact you clearly dislike them intensely, why on earth do you own one at all?
Old 01-12-2011, 02:53   #275

I don't put Rambler in the same class as EDoc. I put Rambler in a class with Group Ama loosing an ama or Joyon sailing Idec over. These are extreme boats built for breaking records and pushed to the breaking point.

No kids allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
Actually, you missed my point joli which was that the guys who race the canting keelers, knowing full well the fairly good possibility that the keel could fall off, continue to go offshore in them because thats where the performance is with monos, but they can take the risks because they can call for help, just like the multihull guys, ONE TYPE IS NOT BETTER THAN THE OTHER, only different.
Steve.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:01   #276

You don't read the comments as cavalier? I do but I've raced with and have been involved in race mangement with these guys. Here's another multi crew, watch about 1:48...........

And here they are two years later.........

Seems pretty cavalier to me.

Whatever, I'm done, opinions simply reconfirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
The man gave a list of mistakes which provides everyone an opportunity to learn from them. I've not heard of him but many of you have and for someone with an audience to come forward and make such an admission public can be challenging I think. I find that generous, not cavalier. Your attitude I find to be a real head scratcher though. Is it that you wish to be sure this thread serves as little useful purpose as possible?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:48   #277

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

I would put Cheekee Monkee in the same in the same class as Rambler, Idec etc( at a different budget level of course) in that she is a highly modified version (without the blessing of the designer) of the design with similar goals(again,at a lower level) but then, you knew that but chose not to share, she is not a stock version.
I do agree that they came across as having a cavalier attitude in the news clip, but then all these guys who race risky boats REGARDLESS OF THE NUMBER OF HULLS, have a keel fall off, flip or have an ama fall off, get rescued, and then do it again and again have to have that attitude. This thread started off about a Macgregor 36 that capsized on Galverston bay, these boats have a great safety record as well as the most speed for the dollar of any boat ever built in the US, i am suprised that no more info has surfaced on this incident, are there no members with local knowlege on this forum?
Steve.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:33   #278

So tired of simply knocking the boats, Joli has taken to knocking the people who sail them?

How about the Sydney-Hobart racers who sailed into a storm? How about the RTW racers who sail deep into the Southern ocean risking collisions with icebergs, simply because the further south you go, the shorter the distance you have to sail? Aren't ALL racing sailors basically "cavalier" in their attitudes? Carrying the barest minimum required by the rules of food, water (and frequently they dump most of that water as soon as the race has started), ground tackle, safety gear..... sailing the boat to it's limits all day and all night....

And exactly WHAT does any of that have to do with cruising?
Old 02-12-2011, 03:52   #279
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

What does any of the petty sniping here have to do with the original topic of this thread?
Old 02-12-2011, 05:06   #280
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
What does any of the petty sniping here have to do with the original topic of this thread?
Exactly... when governments read this thread, they are gonna require special permits to enter the sea which are only obtainable with 100+' yachts equipped with motorized long distance rescue pods and a trained security detail so that no public funds are needed for rescue or extraction et.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:15   #281
Marine Service Provider

Your government might, ours (which has the rescue coverage responsibility of 1/10 of the world - thats right .002% of the worlds population, 10% of the worlds Maritime rescue responsibility) are committed to upholding their responsibilities under international convention, and both sides of politics agree on that.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:38   #282

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor
Your government might, ours ...
oh, how hostile... and why? When did I insult your culture or your specific government to earn that? Be cool man, sail to the Carib and relax for a bit, we're doing this for fun.

cheers,
Nick.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:40   #283
Marine Service Provider

Not hostile at all - you said governments would make us rescue ourselves, I simply said Australia wont - simple, clear, not hostile, and thanks all the same I will probably stick to South Pacific for a while.

Further - at no time did I suggest that you insulted my culture - or my government (however on that point - you have my blessing insult my government and or opposition party as much as you want) I simply disagreed with your postulation that governments would abandon SAR responsibilities. Like I said - in 10% of the world, we will give it a shot to rescue you.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:46   #284

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oops, I had stopped posting in this thread and now remember why... Knife's on table etc.

ciao!
Nick.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:50   #285
Marine Service Provider

?

I have no idea what you are on about - none zip zero zilch
Closed Thread

Tags
catamaran