Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2011, 06:30   #196
Registered User
 
Jeannius's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Worcester U.K.
Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Posts: 840
Re: Catamaran Capsizes in Galveston Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Well - some do. Yachtworld reports that sundeer 64s at 15 years old are round the 3/4 of a million - Australian. Interestingly of the 8 for sail 2 are in new zealand, 2 in Hawaii and 1 in turkey, sounds like people giving up cruising on them?
We went round the world in company with two Sundeer 60s. One of those is now for sail and the owner is looking for... A Catamaran
__________________

__________________
Mike

http://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline  
Old 25-11-2011, 06:56   #197
Registered User
 
Cormorant's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Catskill Mountains when not cruising
Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Posts: 2,073
Re: Catamaran Capsizes in Galveston Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I can't believe this thread, some people have WAY too much free time.
I'm disappointed that the proa has been left out of the arguing. Henceforth we will refer to it as the mono-semi-maran, and defend it fiercely.
__________________

__________________
Cormorant is online now  
Old 25-11-2011, 07:41   #198
Registered User
 
SeaKing's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Shady Side, MD
Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Posts: 509
Re: Catamaran Capsizes in Galveston Bay

I like this board for the things I can learn about different problems we ALL encounter, the resiliency our fellow sailors show and the mistakes some make that we all can learn from, not the sort of bickering of mine is better, bigger, prettier than yours is.

I was reading through this thread yesterday while sort of watching U.S. football, spending time with my father just sitting with him as he had the television so loud because of his hearing that one could barely talk to anyone else in the room. That is the only reason I had time to read all these replies. This morning I had to see what Jedi had to say because I KNEW he had another two cents to toss in. I hope we can meet up someday, because I think/hope you are different than you come across in this world of text.

Back to visiting the family, Have a great day everyone
__________________
SeaKing is offline  
Old 25-11-2011, 07:43   #199
Registered User
 
muskoka's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sai Kung, Hong Kong
Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Posts: 775
Re: Catamaran Capsizes in Galveston Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
We went round the world in company with two Sundeer 60s. One of those is now for sail and the owner is looking for... A Catamaran
It seems like the object of this thread is point scoring. Not to single Jeannius out, as the banter seems to be swinging both ways! Sundeers are fine boats and so are cats - but they're "chalk and cheese".

To return the debate to a more rational basis I'd suggest we throw in some opinions on Mac vs PC, Rocna vs everything else, and the natural superiority of redheads.......

I for one embrace the view that the best boats are death traps. Which gives everyone something to talk about round the bar.
__________________
muskoka is offline  
Old 25-11-2011, 08:09   #200
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Duluth,Minnesota
Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Posts: 984
Re: Catamaran Capsizes in Galveston Bay

Any more news of the cat that capsized on Galverston bay? YOU KNOW, THE SUBJECT OF THIS THREAD.
Steve.
__________________
clockwork orange is offline  
Old 25-11-2011, 08:10   #201
Registered User
 
AussieGeoff's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Australia
Posts: 218
Re: Catamaran Capsizes in Galveston Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
ROTFLMAO

I will tuck that one away for future use

(and, I don't see that as purely a Mono or a Multi thing - )
Quite so, it applies to any boat really. Perhaps more to cruising cats because of their speed, but it applies to powered cats as well and to any boat if you are stupid enough. Our rescue boat is a 28' cat and we are extra careful in heavy quartering seas. The biggest issue with a cat like that is that if you do flip it, it will stay inverted and we're trapped in the submerged cabin. We use non self inflating PFDs for that reason, first get out of the boat, THEN inflate the PFD. A conventional PFD would trap you against the floor if the boat flips.

I like the RNLI approach. Their lifeboats are monohulls, and if flipped over, they are self righting. That's been their approach for many years and I imagine they know something about the subject, they go out in some of the worst conditions I can even imagine, much less have experienced and even in the relatively sheltered waters we operate, we've been tossed around badly enough that the radar kept tripping out.

AussieGeoff
__________________
AussieGeoff is offline  
Old 25-11-2011, 08:24   #202
Registered User
 
AussieGeoff's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Australia
Posts: 218
Re: Catamaran Capsizes in Galveston Bay

http://http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-10-01/four-missing-after-catamaran-accident/3205072

Power boat. This from a month or so back. At least possible this boat may have been a victim of exactly the situation I mentioned, ie dug in one hull and flipped without warning. The boat didn't sink, so it's likely they were unconscious or disabled by the event, suggesting a sudden and violent flip, or they would probably have gotten onto the upturned hull. Two were elderly, so perhaps they might have had infirmity issues, but one fatality was a 12 year old girl, unlikely she couldn't swim at that age and the conditions were not that bad. Doesn't mention if they had PFDs on.

Ultimately only one survivor, a woman.

AussieGeoff
__________________
AussieGeoff is offline  
Old 25-11-2011, 09:01   #203
Registered User
 
muskoka's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sai Kung, Hong Kong
Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Posts: 775
Re: Catamaran Capsizes in Galveston Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
Any more news of the cat that capsized on Galverston bay? YOU KNOW, THE SUBJECT OF THIS THREAD.
Steve.
Oh, that was dealt with in detail about 100 posts ago. Now it's just the mono and multi crowd comparing the size of their tackle....
__________________
muskoka is offline  
Old 25-11-2011, 11:48   #204
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,454
Images: 69
Re: Catamaran Capsizes in Galveston Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
SvBeBe is right - thread drift on such an item in the multihull section is inevitable because so many non-multihullers want to turn it (and anything similar) into an indictment of multihulls generally, rather than a discussion of the specifics.

Brad
Exactly. Every single time.

You know what? I might start visiting the monohull forum and calling all their boats dangerous unseaworthy crap.

Why the hell not? Why should all this garbage happen here?
__________________
44'cruisingcat is online now  
Old 25-11-2011, 12:05   #205
Armchair Bucketeer
 
David_Old_Jersey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,013
Images: 4
Re: Catamaran Capsizes in Galveston Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Exactly. Every single time.

You know what? I might start visiting the monohull forum and calling all their boats dangerous unseaworthy crap.

Why the hell not? Why should all this garbage happen here?
I think you would find that over on the Mono forum no one would care very much....... but not to say that some folk wouldn't enjoy playing

FWIW, as a future Multihull owner (new build in 2012 ) - I am reassured (from the CF multi forum) that all I have to do is set the white flappy things to max, go down below to play with the X-box (the modern replacement for Navigation - whatever that was)........and no matter what physics and gravity (usually ) have to say - I will be "safe" Even from a nuclear missile strike
David_Old_Jersey is offline  
Old 25-11-2011, 12:24   #206
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,454
Images: 69
Re: Catamaran Capsizes in Galveston Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I think you would find that over on the Mono forum no one would care very much
I've seen how they bicker about Beneteau vs Hunter etc etc.

As for the rest of your post, it's the usual unneccessary garbage, deliberately intended to "stir the pot".
__________________
44'cruisingcat is online now  
Old 25-11-2011, 12:26   #207
Registered User
 
sabray's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wash DC
Boat: PETERSON 44
Posts: 3,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey
go down below to play with the X-box (the modern replacement for Navigation - whatever that was)........and no matter what physics and gravity (usually ) have to say - I will be "safe" Even from a nuclear missile strike
Have you had any luck getting the x box to link with the auto pilot via nmea?I am trying to get the connect feature in xbox to the helm. That way I can motion with my arms and steer from down below while monitoring the area with my networked cameras..keeping one dedicated screen forward looking to avoid still floating but flipped multihulls. There must be tons of these floating on our waters given the concern shown. I also have a WII but dint think it's as feature rich.
__________________
sabray is offline  
Old 25-11-2011, 12:30   #208
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Re: Catamaran Capsizes in Galveston Bay

This certainly is an eye opening thread for me. I am not against multi hulls at all and clearly stated that often (but not always) a cat makes more sense than a mono.

I'm also the first to admit that mono's incl. mine can capsize and/or sink. I see no reason at all to deny all that, yet cat owners keep acting like I do.

The strange thing is that some cat owners keep clinging onto fairytale stories which, apart from the few who really keep their boats light, are often enough proven wrong. Simple fact is that live aboard cruisers sailing around paradise full time -almost always- carry so much stuff that their cat is overloaded and will often sink rather than float when holed. I'm apparently the only one here who sadly saw this happen to friends more than once.

Any evidence brought forward is dismissed and I'm being cursed into hell for posting it. Thanks to the moderators, the worst post has been removed, only to be replaced with version that use words that aren't banned here. My post in which I stated I start ignoring posters who curse me that bad was also removed so I repeat that here for clarity.

Last thing I'll say in this thread is that I know that at least 90% of cat owners are sailors that can tolerate mono-hullers, using their common sense and keeping their cool during discussions etc., and in fact I think it's close to 100% here in Panama so there's a definitive relation to cruising areas.

ciao!
Nick.
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline  
Old 25-11-2011, 12:33   #209
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,454
Images: 69
Re: Catamaran Capsizes in Galveston Bay

Hopefully you'll keep your word, and that WILL be the last you say in this thread.
__________________
44'cruisingcat is online now  
Old 25-11-2011, 12:57   #210
Registered User
 
sabray's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wash DC
Boat: PETERSON 44
Posts: 3,169
I think Ncks points are good. Not biased at all and point to some of the challenges of cruising and the limits we all have with our designs. I have never seen animosity like this between mono and multis on the water cruising community. Seems like it's a virtual saling phenomenon. I go both ways which makes me a bi sailor I admire both enjoy both and have been screwed by both
__________________

__________________
sabray is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
catamaran

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking of Buying a Sailing Catamaran ? Some Thoughts . . . papagena Multihull Sailboats 12 23-12-2011 11:21
Anchor Lights - Is it a Law ? landonshaw Anchoring & Mooring 119 11-11-2011 13:14
Three Dead After Boat Capsizes off Batemans Bay IslandHopper Cruising News & Events 5 01-10-2011 05:43
Alabama, with a Banjo on My Knee . . . Stede Our Community 24 11-08-2011 16:38
Looking for dock space on Narragansett Bay for a catamaran crewofnoka Marinas 0 06-07-2011 05:56



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:44.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.