Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2019, 14:09   #46

Re: Catamaran Capsize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
I would have thot that use of engines to beat back against head wind / seas would be more realistic than trying to sail
Absolutely. In fact MOB training should emphasize this. If the engines are useable, use them!

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 15:32   #47
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Catamaran Capsize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Good idea, it's a false rumour. But the catamaran does stay afloat, so it's unlike a monohull in that way.
Tony Bullimore would disagree with the above statement..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 15:38   #48

Boat: Cole Pawtucket 35

Wind was reportedly from the West and a Swell of 1-2m (correct me if I'm misquoting). I'm assuming that the swell along Newcastle NSW would run from the South East or Southerly direction? (again, correct me please) That would make for a rather unpleasant sea state! If they were heading south, I assume they were anywhere between slightly sprung sheets to a beam reach, punching into steep, choppy seas. Easy for a cat to dig in the leeward bow. A leeward dagger-board in that instance may not have as big an impact in the turning over as the hull itself, but certainly wouldn't have helped either. We don't even know if the cat capsized, or pitch poled?!
My thoughts are with the families right now though, unfortunately their're going through hell, while I sit here speculating on what happened. Condolences!
ancor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 16:57   #49

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Maybe after a couple of months or so, someone from Cruising Helmsman will interview the skipper. I feel certain he had a reason for proceeding as he did. It was just such a tragic outcome. We sailed the other day from Newcastle to Shoal Bay, in the weakening westerly, and thought of the family a lot, sad to be out there, with those thoughts.

Ann
Old 19-07-2019, 17:13   #50

Boat: Contessa 26

Terrible situation, my heart goes out to the poor family.

I was on shift in Newcastle harbour and was gutted listening to this over VHF16 as it unfolded. One of our ships was diverted by AMSA to assist, but later released as Marine Rescue & Water Police were on the scene and dealing with it effectively.

I spoke with one of our marine pilots who was boarding a ship to enter port at the time, and he said they experienced over 43kts westerly winds and 2.5 to 3m waves from south east out there.
ScottyDierikx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 18:41   #51

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yes, that 43 is still within the 40% higher gusts that the met bureau predicts. It's awful to watch a disaster like that unfold. Those poor guys.

Ann
Old 21-07-2019, 00:24   #52

Boat: Grainger Mystery Cove 1250

I recently sailed a 43 ft cat south from Port Stevens to Pittwater in a similar wind strength & swell size, but it was not a port beam swell with an offshore wind. It was on the nose & we motored into it, eventually arriving in Tasmania safe & sound.

I also had my Daughter on board & we loved every minute of it - but ever mindful of what can happen in an instant.

I noted dagger boards on the ill fated vessel which indicates a capability of faster than average boat speeds.
We can all speculate, but hopefully learn from this fatal disaster for future sailors.
Bad Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 00:41   #53

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I recently sailed a 43 ft cat south from Port Stevens to Pittwater in a similar wind strength & swell size, but it was not a port beam swell with an offshore wind. It was on the nose & we motored into it, eventually arriving in Tasmania safe & sound.
If you arrived safely in Tassie during a trip from Pt Stephens to Pittwater you might
consider signing up for a coastal navigation course ASAP.

We too have recently crossed that patch (Stockton Bight) in strong W winds and found no difficult sea conditions. They must have just been unlucky in a particular wave+gust situation. Sympathy is offered. I do hope that in time a description of what happened will emerge for the education of us all.

Jim
Old 21-07-2019, 02:24   #54

Boat: Grainger Mystery Cove 1250

Hi Jim,

well fyi we did sail to Tassie I can assure you, without any navigational issues.

The overall trip was from the Gold Coast To Tasmania, but we stopped at Port Stevens due to the weather & do some walking. Then we stopped again at Pittwater for 2 days before stopping again overnight at Cronulla - due to the conditions

Then one final leg to Tasmania across Bass Strait into the Tamar River on the 27th June.

We had our families in contact at all times & they were pleased we made it ok.
Bad Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 03:19   #55

It was suggested by Marine Rescue that whilst conditions were not overly pleasant they were not such to cause capsize. They felt that the catamaran had come into contact with a rogue container causing the capsize. Apparently a large number of shipping containers have been lost in the nearby area over the last few months. A very sad occurrence indeed. Condolences to all involved.
nautilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 04:46   #56

Boat: currently boatless

Nautilee,
No, I repeat no reports of containers being lost overboard in the area for over a year. Also no warning issued to mariners to date re lost or sighted containers. The incident I think you may be referring to was a severe storm where a container ship lost approximatley 80 containers just north of Newcastle and south of Pt Stephens. Incident occured on the 1 June 2018. No official information has been released at this time regarding cause of tragedy. Limited photos available do not show damage from impact to bow. Everything is still speculation.

Greg H
Lagoon 440
Lake Macquarie
oz
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:11   #57

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Has anyone heard if the cat has been recovered/salvaged as yet or is it still adrift out at sea?
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 01:07   #58

Boat: currently boatless

Some long months after this sad incident came to light and the catamaran disapeared it has finally turned up still floating inverted in Queensland waters today. Quite the journey for a capsized catamaran and testimony to the reserve buoyancy of this cat.

Greg H
Lagoon 440
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 01:54   #59

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

Yes, amazing that it travelled north when current off the east Australian coast is normally to the south. Found at North Stradbroke Island, just under 400 nm away.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 02:09   #60

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

About 5 miles from where we are tonight.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capsize, catamaran, size