Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2014, 16:03   #46

Re: Catamaran Buying option 50"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethedane View Post
Blog Updated .. and soon time to a new tread
OK I read your blog. Not to be too critical but you are all over the place. I have no idea which models you liked. Lagoon 460? No such thing. Lagoon 550? I'm sure you mean 560 S2. Were you reviewing the Outremer 5X or the 51? Regarding the Nautitech, did you like the 542 or the new Open 40?
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 16:47   #47

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Mike,

Being in Europe you should consider a visit to Dazcat a British builder.

There Southern Ocean 47 could be what you are looking for.

Dazcat custom performance catamaran and trimaran designs

I imagine they could easily do a 50-52ft version all with custom interior fitout in your price range.

One potential issue with the charter designs could be fuel capacity depending on your cruising grounds. In some areas of the Pacific and Patagonia the standard production cats do not have adequate fuel range without carying jerricans.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 22:19   #48

Boat: jeps got it
Send a message via Skype™ to mikethedane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostalli View Post
OK I read your blog. Not to be too critical but you are all over the place. I have no idea which models you liked. Lagoon 460? No such thing. Lagoon 550? I'm sure you mean 560 S2. Were you reviewing the Outremer 5X or the 51? Regarding the Nautitech, did you like the 542 or the new Open 40?
I was looking mainly at the 542 since it is the size i look at

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Mike,

Being in Europe you should consider a visit to Dazcat a British builder.

There Southern Ocean 47 could be what you are looking for.

Dazcat custom performance catamaran and trimaran designs

I imagine they could easily do a 50-52ft version all with custom interior fit out in your price range.

and i have looked at it and i have made my final choices to the selection i have otherwice i could keep on going and going to look at cats

One potential issue with the charter designs could be fuel capacity depending on your cruising grounds. In some areas of the Pacific and Patagonia the standard production cats do not have adequate fuel range without carrying jerricans.

Cheers
and when it comes to Fuel capacity i¨m buying a Sailboat of a good size so i¨m sure i will manage to have enough food on board even if there is no wind for a few day and i aim to sail with sails and not with engines so i rather spend 3 more days at sea than use the motor
Old 28-04-2014, 22:23   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostalli View Post
Hi Jostsail
and i don¨t take your feedback as a Critic but more as a feedback i can use so i have updated the blog and i will most likely rewrite it to make it more clear
Old 28-04-2014, 23:32   #50

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
I was looking mainly at the 542 since it is the size i look at

and when it comes to Fuel capacity i¨m buying a Sailboat of a good size so i¨m sure i will manage to have enough food on board even if there is no wind for a few day and i aim to sail with sails and not with engines so i rather spend 3 more days at sea than use the motor

Agreed with an Outremer but not so much with a Lagoon but be advised in Patagonia travelling North against the currents long distances and similarly in Pacific close to the Equator there are some areas you would not want to be taking on fuel. Many of the custom built vessels cruising these areas have double the fuel capacity of the production charter catamarans. Just something to consider if you are likely to be cruising those areas. Would certainly not be an issue in Europe, med or the Carriabean. Info gained by reading books and blogs from sailors in those areas.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 23:49   #51

Boat: Outremer

Hi, we started looking in for the perfect catamaran in october 2013 and collected a view miles and visited a minimum of 15 second hand boats since then. The first boat we chartered and sailed on was a Catana 47, very nice boat sails very well, good to handle for a couple and for us a lot of space, minus a little narrow in the hulls. Then we visited Catana, what a perfect built quality, stiff hulls, where really impressed and we seen other builder like bavaria, dehler, beneteau.

Then we sailed on a Helia 44 for a view hundred miles, a little slower then the Catana, specially to windward but the performance in general is really more then ok for us, but I´m not sure about the builtquality in general, the Rigg/Hulls flexes in waves and there were a view squeeking noises from the interior/woodpanels.But Sail and Boathandling is very easy, and liked the position of the semi raised Helmstation

Then we visited a view second hand Catanas 50, maybe this is a good boat for you there is one from 2010/11 at Catana Factory which is in perfect shape, but too expansive for us. But they have cheaper one and maybe... We can although recommend the Lagoon 500 which is very roomy and has a lovely interior.

It is a big decison wether to take a Cat with stubkeels or daggerboards.

So in the next week we will have a close look at a second hand Salina 48, and then after at a view Lagoon 440. So as you see we are not finally decided, but still open minded, since we owned since now a view performance orientatded monos, so we really love to have aCat that sails well and offers plenty of space. So we hope to find a good compromise between cruising and speed.

Cheers

Bluemotion
Old 29-04-2014, 00:22   #52
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

selecting cats on LOA is a bit like selecting a car on color. 'I want a red one, reds ones are fast!' LOA really has nothing to do with anything except marina costs. As you said, the Lagoon 450 has more space, volume and storage than the Outremer 52/55. The Outremer is faster and probably lighter, and probably less payload carrying capacity.
So for a new boat buyer it shouldn't be about length as the primary category to tune the selection process. Volume and payload would be a better way to make your shortlist, i.e. 'I need 4 double cabins with 3t payload and comfortable saloon for 8 people' would probably count out a few 55' cats and include quite a few 45' cats.
Personally if If I were to compare a Lagoon 450 with any of the other over 50' cats you looked at and compared the specs and volume of accommodation and deck space, payload, ease of handling for a couple, design and quality, price , ongoing cost, insurance, marina fees, etc I would find it very hard not to put the L450 at the top of my shortlist.
And the downside of that choice? Maybe some additional sailing time between anchorages..Atlantic crossing...22 days instead of 19?
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 02:26   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemotion View Post
Hi, we started looking in for the perfect catamaran in october 2013 and collected a view miles and visited a minimum of 15 second hand boats since then. The first boat we chartered and sailed on was a Catana 47, very nice boat sails very well, good to handle for a couple and for us a lot of space, minus a little narrow in the hulls. Then we visited Catana, what a perfect built quality, stiff hulls, where really impressed and we seen other builder like bavaria, dehler, beneteau.

Then we sailed on a Helia 44 for a view hundred miles, a little slower then the Catana, specially to windward but the performance in general is really more then ok for us, but I´m not sure about the builtquality in general, the Rigg/Hulls flexes in waves and there were a view squeeking noises from the interior/woodpanels.But Sail and Boathandling is very easy, and liked the position of the semi raised Helmstation

Then we visited a view second hand Catanas 50, maybe this is a good boat for you there is one from 2010/11 at Catana Factory which is in perfect shape, but too expansive for us. But they have cheaper one and maybe... We can although recommend the Lagoon 500 which is very roomy and has a lovely interior.

It is a big decison wether to take a Cat with stubkeels or daggerboards.

So in the next week we will have a close look at a second hand Salina 48, and then after at a view Lagoon 440. So as you see we are not finally decided, but still open minded, since we owned since now a view performance orientatded monos, so we really love to have aCat that sails well and offers plenty of space. So we hope to find a good compromise between cruising and speed.

Cheers

Bluemotion
Hi Bluemotion

did you have a chance to look at the nautitech they make some really interesting designs but i can¨t say how the second hand market is for them but perhaps have a look at it.. i was very pleased about it.. but it is not an easy choice to make but i will get there count down is now t-61 days
Old 29-04-2014, 06:23   #54

Boat: Outremer

Hi again, so far we like the look of the new Nautitech 482.The only thing that worries me them is this very very small foresail/jib. I wonder if you want a sort of lazy sail or a sail on a windy day only with the jib if this works well.

I think a more equal sailplan Main to Jib is much easier to handle. And the overall Surface of the Sailairea compared to the weight of the Nautitech is low, but this is the same wih the brand new lagoons. As said it is not easy to make a final decison, but my Admiral is a 100 % on the way to a Catamaran. When we sailed last week with our Dehler 41, heeling over in an gusting wind, she said she wouldn`t do this anymore for days on a Mono like we did it before. She called it "Borring" and used ohter bad words for our nice Dehler 41.

So we and I need to decide in the near future.

But what do you mean with T-61. Is then the decison made which Cat to choose or you stop working then???

Greetings from Frankfurt

Volker

Looking forward
Old 29-04-2014, 07:58   #55

Hi Volker

well i will use a lazy sail and also a code 0 sail as well so i¨m sure it will be enough for me but it will all be tested i will have a test sail on the her. and if i have my doubt then i will be able to rent one in southern part of France as well

and when it comes to the t-61 that is my deadline for making my choices and also going on vacation for a month to get my Dive-master certificate before starting on a sailing school .. right now it looks like a mix between a school in the Canaries and island of White so i can get my offshore which will take around 3 month to complete so if i¨m lucky i can join the ARC for 2014

and pressently in Denmark just arrived back from France .
Old 29-04-2014, 12:26   #56

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
selecting cats on LOA is a bit like selecting a car on color. SNIP

Thread winner. Much shorter condomarans will always have a lot more space, load capacity, and probably forgiving sailing than faster performance cats.

There is nothing wrong with either style of boat but one will fit specific needs better than the other.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:28   #57

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Not to throw a monkey wrench into the thread but check this bad boy out.

G-Force 1800
Old 03-05-2014, 10:33   #58

Quote:

going on vacation for a month to get my Dive-master certificate before starting on a sailing school .. right now it looks like a mix between a school in the Canaries and island of White
The best (IMHO) and most reasonably priced place in the world to get your Dive Master etc. certs is Utilla, Honduras. Its ALL about diving there. Check it out.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:44   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
The best (IMHO) and most reasonably priced place in the world to get your Dive Master etc. certs is Utilla, Honduras. Its ALL about diving there. Check it out.
ok do you have a website i was thinking about the philphines but always open for ideas
Old 03-05-2014, 10:52   #60

Sorry Mate I don't have any specific websites but Google Utilla Diving and you'll see tons of info. There are a numerous dive schools there and people come from all over the world to get certified. They have beginner to advanced gas certifications there. You looking to get PADI certified right?

Tags
buying, catamaran