Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 06:34   #76
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: No longer post here
Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Posts: 2,462
Re: Catamaran Buying option 50"

This 20 meter South African boat claims to be the "strongest catamaran ever built." Although the hulls were built in 2010 the boat was recently completed. The price is less than $1 million making this boat the bargain in 50 ft or greater boats on the market right now. There must be some history on her as this is a real deal.

Phenocat 664 Catamaran For Sale
__________________

__________________
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 18:17   #77
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 260
Re: Catamaran Buying option 50"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethedane View Post
Hi how did your test sail go .. and since i donĘt know your budget but i think if i was looking at cats in the 40 foot range i would for sure look at the aventura i was surprise with the space it had and i like the population system as well total price will be around 200.000 Euro incl all option
Are you sure about this? 200k euro? It is listed at US$ 438,869: 2014 Aventura Yacht SGTI 43 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
__________________

__________________
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 23:27   #78
Registered User
 
mikethedane's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Monaco
Boat: jeps got it
Posts: 132
Send a message via Skype™ to mikethedane
Re: Catamaran Buying option 50"

It is for the 33 foot version not the 44

Sent from my HTC One using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
//Mike
Starting to Cruise in 2015
mikethedane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 06:35   #79
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 12
Re: Catamaran Buying option 50"

Henk de Velde on 71-foot catamaran, nonstop single handed around the world.
Roman Paszke 63 yers old is sailing 91 feet catamaran single handed .
Bigger is better. Faster=safer.
forget about using bare hands to lift anchor or sail handling on boat bigger than 30 feet.
the only reason that some people prefer a small boat is that only one they can afford.
So it's definitely better to have a 40-foot catamaran than not have 60.

My choice for cruising is AQUINUS C57
lightweight sandwich infusion construction.
front cockpit, which not only enables secure access to all the ropes
but also open doors in front and back make pleasant air movement,
and the air conditioning is not necessary (at least in the main cabin)

steering position inside and outside.
In the harsh weather, you can control the boat with coffee in hand, you are warm, the wind does not breaks your head.
Galley two steps from the helm station and the boiling water The tap,
allows you to immediately make some coffee or a quick meal.
When a man is cold and hungry often makes mistakes
Docking is easy with wireless control.
And of course daggerboards for better performance and much greater safety during storm.
carbon mast, a synthetic rigging - lighter, stronger, safer
2kW (or more) of solar power and you can cook on induction hob.
and much more...
And only now you can get some super low price for this top quality semi custom boat.
__________________
szkutnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 06:54   #80
smj
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Posts: 3,654
Re: Catamaran Buying option 50"

Quote:
Originally Posted by szkutnik View Post
Henk de Velde on 71-foot catamaran, nonstop single handed around the world.
Roman Paszke 63 yers old is sailing 91 feet catamaran single handed .
Bigger is better. Faster=safer.
forget about using bare hands to lift anchor or sail handling on boat bigger than 30 feet.
the only reason that some people prefer a small boat is that only one they can afford.
So it's definitely better to have a 40-foot catamaran than not have 60.

My choice for cruising is AQUINUS C57
lightweight sandwich infusion construction.
front cockpit, which not only enables secure access to all the ropes
but also open doors in front and back make pleasant air movement,
and the air conditioning is not necessary (at least in the main cabin)

steering position inside and outside.
In the harsh weather, you can control the boat with coffee in hand, you are warm, the wind does not breaks your head.
Galley two steps from the helm station and the boiling water The tap,
allows you to immediately make some coffee or a quick meal.
When a man is cold and hungry often makes mistakes
Docking is easy with wireless control.
And of course daggerboards for better performance and much greater safety during storm.
carbon mast, a synthetic rigging - lighter, stronger, safer
2kW (or more) of solar power and you can cook on induction hob.
and much more...
And only now you can get some super low price for this top quality semi custom boat.
I prefer a cat in the mid to upper 30' range as it has all the space we need and is much easier for us to handle than a larger cat, nothing to do with finances. In that size range we are also able to handle the anchors and sails with our bare hands. Windlasses and power winches are great for ease of handling.....until they break, then it's back to handling things manually. And I would never step away from the wheel to dock with a wireless control.
__________________
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 22:08   #81
SVI
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Med
Boat: FP Salina 48 / owner / evolution
Posts: 204
Re: Catamaran Buying option 50"

Quote:
Originally Posted by szkutnik View Post
And only now you can get some super low price for this top quality semi custom boat.
Oh, good news - 60ft cats are on sale cheap. I can probably get it for the change left after the purchase of my Salina How much coins, boss?
__________________
Sailing sabbathical anyone?
SVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 23:08   #82
Registered User
 
Mark424's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Boat: Maine Cat 38
Posts: 224
Re: Catamaran Buying option 50"

Quote:
Originally Posted by szkutnik View Post
the only reason that some people prefer a small boat is that only one they can afford.
Impressive that you can speak for the rest of our preferences.

Go read "Sensible Cruising: The Thoreau Approach", timeless lessons. Have skippered dozens of different boats up to a Catana 50, have crossed oceans as crew on a 65' mono and 62' cat, have crewed on race boats up to 82'. When money isn't an issue, and you can have any boat you want, you have the real freedom to choose the boat that meets you personal needs. For some that's measured in length, some in speed, some, sadly, in impressing the neighbors.
__________________
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 04:24   #83
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 12
Re: Catamaran Buying option 50"

NASA's Mars Exploration Rover is remotely controled since 2005 and still works. There's nothing to be afraid of.
__________________
szkutnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 04:31   #84
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 12
Re: Catamaran Buying option 50"

I'm sorry. Yes, you're right. I wanted to say "the main reason" not "only reason"
__________________
szkutnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 04:35   #85
SVI
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Med
Boat: FP Salina 48 / owner / evolution
Posts: 204
Re: Catamaran Buying option 50"

Quote:
Originally Posted by szkutnik View Post
NASA's Mars Exploration Rover is remotely controled since 2005 and still works. There's nothing to be afraid of.
If you can remotely turn the steering wheel to "crab" the cat - that would be good. But you can't.

Also, try to bring your 60ft cat into one of the greek small ports (with meltemi blowing) and you will see why you need a crew.
__________________
Sailing sabbathical anyone?
SVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 05:24   #86
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 12
Re: Catamaran Buying option 50"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVI View Post
If you can remotely turn the steering wheel to "crab" the cat - that would be good. But you can't.

Also, try to bring your 60ft cat into one of the greek small ports (with meltemi blowing) and you will see why you need a crew.
My English is poor and I do not understand what "crab" the cat means.
But I believe that I can construct a remote control to the steering wheel as good or even better as direct hand control. Wheel spinning faster than you can with gentle filling of rudder forces for better control.

actually I did not use the steering wheel maneuvering in port
Everything is done by propulsion systems.

Of course, there are tiny ports where large yacht not enter.
But there are also places where I tried to park a small boat and was asked to leave. "This is a place only for large Luxury yachts that look good on pictures of tourists."

And crew- crew is wery importand. I hate sail alone.
rely only on your own hands is not as good as with the help of the crew especially when it comes to SEX
__________________
szkutnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 06:29   #87
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,713
Re: Catamaran Buying option 50"

Quote:
Originally Posted by szkutnik View Post
My English is poor and I do not understand what "crab" the cat means.
But I believe that I can construct a remote control to the steering wheel as good or even better as direct hand control. Wheel spinning faster than you can with gentle filling of rudder forces for better control.

actually I did not use the steering wheel maneuvering in port
Everything is done by propulsion systems.

Of course, there are tiny ports where large yacht not enter.
But there are also places where I tried to park a small boat and was asked to leave. "This is a place only for large Luxury yachts that look good on pictures of tourists."

And crew- crew is wery importand. I hate sail alone.
rely only on your own hands is not as good as with the help of the crew especially when it comes to SEX

"Crabbing" a cat is walking it sideways by putting one engine in forward, one in reverse and putting the helm over to oppose the turning moment - with the throttles adjusted so that there is "NO" forward or backward motion.
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 07:06   #88
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,713
Re: Catamaran Buying option 50"

Previous post is missing the word "no" before "forward or backward motion"
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 08:54   #89
Registered User
 
Mark424's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Boat: Maine Cat 38
Posts: 224
Re: Catamaran Buying option 50"

Quote:
Originally Posted by szkutnik View Post
I'm sorry. Yes, you're right. I wanted to say "the main reason" not "only reason"
Strike 2. Try again.
__________________
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 09:11   #90
Registered User
 
Cotemar's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo
Posts: 5,717
Re: Catamaran Buying option 50"

Crab a catamaran sideways to a dock

At some point you may need to dock the cat alongside at some point to take on water, fuel and groceries.

Get the fenders and docking lines rigged early and make sure your crew understands their jobs.

Try to approach the dock from the leeward side and with your bow as close to the wind direction as possible. You can make the cat crab sideways with the engines and rudders; put the outside engine in slow forward and the inside engine in slow reverse and turn the rudders slightly away from the dock. The boat will move sideways and you can adjust the forward motion and angle of the motion by adjusting thrust on the engines and the rudder angles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat9 Cotemar.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	85144   Click image for larger version

Name:	cat10 Cotemar.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	85145  

__________________

__________________
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
buying, catamaran

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying Good Boat Cheap . . . What's My Best Option ? SailingNW Dollars & Cents 30 05-10-2016 14:08
For Sale: "Santa Cruz Sails" 26' 8" x 24' 10" x 15' 3" Genoa Cut Sail Joy Devlin Classifieds Archive 0 19-06-2012 17:22
No Option " Network LibGPS " in Toolbox - GPS titaantje OpenCPN 4 20-01-2012 13:02
Want To Buy: Lease or Lease Option on Catamaran 1rkghost Classifieds Archive 2 01-01-2011 17:35
"recent price reduction""owner anxious""bring all offers" sailorboy1 Dollars & Cents 10 22-01-2009 12:25



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:23.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.