Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 11:02   #61

Boat: jeps got it
Send a message via Skype™ to mikethedane
Re: Catamaran Buying option 50"

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
Not to throw a monkey wrench into the thread but check this bad boy out.

G-Force 1800
agreed with you she looks spicy .. but not this time
Old 03-05-2014, 11:08   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
Sorry Mate I don't have any specific websites but Google Utilla Diving and you'll see tons of info. There are a numerous dive schools there and people come from all over the world to get certified. They have beginner to advanced gas certifications there. You looking to get PADI certified right?
well i¨m a cmas 2 star diver but i will go for the padi so i can train fellow crew members as well same with my Yacht master i will also go for the instructor course to have student on board

and before any one ask no it is not to make money
Old 03-05-2014, 11:13   #63

Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemotion View Post
Hi, we started looking in for the perfect catamaran in october 2013 and collected a view miles and visited a minimum of 15 second hand boats since then. The first boat we chartered and sailed on was a Catana 47, very nice boat sails very well, good to handle for a couple and for us a lot of space, minus a little narrow in the hulls. Then we visited Catana, what a perfect built quality, stiff hulls, where really impressed and we seen other builder like bavaria, dehler, beneteau.

Then we sailed on a Helia 44 for a view hundred miles, a little slower then the Catana, specially to windward but the performance in general is really more then ok for us, but I´m not sure about the builtquality in general, the Rigg/Hulls flexes in waves and there were a view squeeking noises from the interior/woodpanels.But Sail and Boathandling is very easy, and liked the position of the semi raised Helmstation

Then we visited a view second hand Catanas 50, maybe this is a good boat for you there is one from 2010/11 at Catana Factory which is in perfect shape, but too expansive for us. But they have cheaper one and maybe... We can although recommend the Lagoon 500 which is very roomy and has a lovely interior.

It is a big decison wether to take a Cat with stubkeels or daggerboards.

So in the next week we will have a close look at a second hand Salina 48, and then after at a view Lagoon 440. So as you see we are not finally decided, but still open minded, since we owned since now a view performance orientatded monos, so we really love to have aCat that sails well and offers plenty of space. So we hope to find a good compromise between cruising and speed.

Cheers

Bluemotion
Bluemotion,

Have you sailed Antares 44i? If so, what do you think of her? We found her one of the quietest (...to your point about squeaks), solidest boats we've sailed.

What about Privileges - have you looked at them?

EllesBelles
EllesBelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 23:55   #64

Boat: Outremer

@ Elles Belles, we have thought about a Privilege, seen a 435 but we didn`t like the ownerscabin, we prefer more to lay in the bed and to see the sea or the bay. On the other side we like the woodwork and the general quality we found on the Privilege.

Havent heard since now anything about the other Cat you propose.

Where were they built???

Greetings

Bluemotion
Old 05-05-2014, 00:15   #65

Quote:
@ Elles Belles, we have thought about a Privilege, seen a 435 but we didn`t like the ownerscabin, we prefer more to lay in the bed and to see the sea or the bay. On the other side we like the woodwork and the general quality we found on the Privilege.

Where were they built???

Greetings

Bluemotion
Hi how did your test sail go .. and since i don¨t know your budget but i think if i was looking at cats in the 40 foot range i would for sure look at the aventura i was surprise with the space it had and i like the population system as well total price will be around 200.000 Euro incl all option
Old 05-05-2014, 02:15   #66

Boat: Outremer

Hi,
meanwhile we sailed a Lagoon 400 and enjoyed the boat, plenty of space for a 40 footer. Then we have been on an Lagoon 420 compared to the Lagoon 400 there is much more space.Only concerm is the Upwind Performance.

But meanwhile we are discussing with the German Catana Dealer the Details of an Catana 50 from 2007.
May that boat is the best compromise between Speed-quality-space and value for money. We have been on here twice in Canet-en Roussilion at Catana. The boat needs a "small refit" but then she will be ready again to explore the oceans.
I really can recommend the Catanas. For me it is an outstanding builtqualtiy, havent seen that before and it seems to be an very very save and solid boat. Maybe I´`m a little to euphoric but you will we see it when you have been there.

Cheers

Volker
Old 05-05-2014, 07:53   #67

Quote:

Where were they built???

Greetings

Bluemotion
The other boat is the Antares. They are built in Argentina. Really terrific team who owns the company. Their website is Antares Yachts: Building the World's Best Liveaboard Catamaran and there you'll find a link to many of their owners' own blogs. Antares has the most loyal owners I've found. They also communicate and help one another, perhaps in part because the company runs special "Antares University" boat-learning/sailing weekends where owners get together and meet. We've been on several Antares and sailed some too. The wood finishing and overall quality is among the very best we've seen.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:13   #68

Hi Volker
i think you will end up soon with a Catana he he and agree with you she is a great looking girl
Old 05-05-2014, 10:05   #69
Marine Service Provider

Hi Mike,

what a good idea, a cat is the best option to turn around the world...
cw2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:12   #70

Quote:

Where were they built???

Greetings

Bluemotion
Hi Bluemotion,

To respond to your comment about the Privilege owner's version, with the cabin crossing the beam of the boat, I understand your point. The Outremer is my favorite cabin style for lying on the bed, looking out the window at the water. Their windows are at just the perfect height for that, and they're long too. Many boats now (Isara comes to mind) are making their windows vertical rather than horizontal, and that gives water and sky, but I prefer the horizontal shape and height of the Outremer's.

It seems people either love or hate that layout. Some people don't like how far you are in the bed from the windows or that you have to stoop a bit when you're standing up on the bed level. Personally, I love the view from the Privilege's bed out across the expanse of the cabin on either side, down from the bed, and through the windows on port and starboard sides to the water. Plus, there are great hatches over the bed for seeing the sky.

This cabin arrangement works great for a couple who likes to be able to get out of bed from the side (rather than having to crawl over your spouse), or having one person feeling claustrophobic against the inside of the bed against the wall, which is the case in so many boats' cabins.

EllesBelles
Old 05-05-2014, 16:48   #71

i agree about Privilege cats, butthey could have done a better effort in the design of their saloon on the 515 and 615.... Whereas the hulls' design is unbelievable, the design of the windows in the saloon is old and outdated.... they are too small, not open enough to the outside...... now the overall built quality on them is fantastic, personally i only observed this top build quality on Privilege and Catana cats, but i still need to check out the Antares.... shame about the Privilege average performance, when compared to the Catana..... but then again, it's all a compromise..........
- which Cat is your heart leaning toward right now?
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 23:03   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
i agree about Privilege cats, butthey could have done a better effort in the design of their saloon on the 515 and 615.... Whereas the hulls' design is unbelievable, the design of the windows in the saloon is old and outdated.... they are too small, not open enough to the outside...... now the overall built quality on them is fantastic, personally i only observed this top build quality on Privilege and Catana cats, but i still need to check out the Antares.... shame about the Privilege average performance, when compared to the Catana..... but then again, it's all a compromise..........
Hi Alexxx not sure who you are asking but for me it is basicly a mix between the Catana and the Lagoon and yes i¨m aware of two very different boats the dark horses is the Nautitech "missing" dagger boards and then based on the people i meet on the outremer stand made me feel that they did not wanted customers but i have promised the Swedish dealer that i will have another look at it this weekend .. but i also have to wait and see what my Missy likes .. as well
Old 05-05-2014, 23:19   #73

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethedane View Post
Hi Alexxx not sure who you are asking but for me it is basicly a mix between the Catana and the Lagoon and yes i¨m aware of two very different boats the dark horses is the Nautitech "missing" dagger boards and then based on the people i meet on the outremer stand made me feel that they did not wanted customers but i have promised the Swedish dealer that i will have another look at it this weekend .. but i also have to wait and see what my Missy likes .. as well
Make sure you sail on an Outremer before you rule them out.

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 23:28   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
Privilege moved past the 515 to the Series 5, and it has a nicer use of space in both the saloon and cockpit, and it has more length at the stern, which gives a really nice sun or dive platform too, as well as more speed.

I agree that the Catana sails very well (not that the Privilege doesn't as well), but I ruled out the Catana because of the way the helm is set up, and because the Catana doesn't have an encloseable cockpit (for comfort from mosquitoes, and against sun, rain & cold), and which Privilege and Antares handle very well. I don't want a helm, or dual helms, that are always exposed. We are circumnavigating and want a protected helm. That's why Privilege and Antares were at the top of our list.
Old 05-05-2014, 23:34   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllesBelles View Post
Privilege moved past the 515 to the Series 5, and it has a nicer use of space in both the saloon and cockpit, and it has more length at the stern, which gives a really nice sun or dive platform too, as well as more speed.

I agree that the Catana sails very well (not that the Privilege doesn't as well), but I ruled out the Catana because of the way the helm is set up, and because the Catana doesn't have an encloseable cockpit (for comfort from mosquitoes, and against sun, rain & cold), and which Privilege and Antares handle very well. I don't want a helm, or dual helms, that are always exposed. We are circumnavigating and want a protected helm. That's why Privilege and Antares were at the top of our list.
I really liked the Saloon on the privilege properly the best design i have seen but if you are looking at the privilege please have a look at the nautitech (which i¨m also looking at ) they have some great designs in the saloon and also some other features and build quality looks good as well .. i did not like the owner version on the priv5

Tags
buying, catamaran