Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2014, 15:36   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Catamaran Buying option 50"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
..... but if you are not going to venture in high altitudes, fixed keels of Saba is the way to go.
If you are going to venture to high altitudes then a plane is a much better bet, or maybe a rocket
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 15:37   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Oh.. I missed the flybridge..Saba is the only one that comes with flybridge.. The admiral, the kids and the guests will love it..
The trouble is, this will be at the expense of significantly increased windage; you may hate it when manoeuvring in strong wind and or sailing upwind.

So, we come to the famous saying; "when it comes to buy a sailing boat, you can only get two of the three main aspects; speed, comfort and economy.."
There is no perfect boat , all of them are compromises.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 15:40   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethedane View Post
Hi all

A Small update i can see only agree after much more reading the Outremer 5X is a fast runner and also it seems like the comfort ain´t as good even do its bigger size .. but based on suggestion from here i will for sure have a look at he Privilege 515 I a specially like the version called Suite Propriétaire
Comfort is fine on the 5X, try one, have a look before you dismiss, Outremers are, proportionally, among the most cruised/circumnavigated cats out there.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 01:25   #19

Boat: jeps got it
Send a message via Skype™ to mikethedane

i¨m not ruling anything out but i need to limit my self to a few so i can compare but i have also looked at the Alibi 54 but i can¨t seem to find the price for it.

but my feeling is the price for it is to high to my budget .. ..

Factor i could take a plane but i don¨t think my budget will hold then .. and besides then i will miss the fun of sailing and remember to travel is to live .. so i rather travel slow and live long.. so i rather travel at 2 % to 3 % of the speed of plane .....
mikethedane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 04:39   #20
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

I think anyone considering both a lagoon 50 and Outremer 50 needs to pay more attention to their priorities.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 05:51   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
I think anyone considering both a lagoon 50 and Outremer 50 needs to pay more attention to their priorities.
Please explain why
Old 30-03-2014, 06:17   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Please explain why
Here is a rough stereotype of the potential buyers which will probably offend someone as stereotypes are not always accurate. Let the flaming begin.

The outremer is aimed at the keen sailor who's priority is a boat with excellent performance for fast cruising/racing with great windward performance. They will usually be seen trimming the sails for best performance on every windshift. They know what every sail control line does and will use them all. This person usually hates running the engine and will be vigilant in keeping the boat light. They are happy with less accommodation space. They go sailing just for the sake of going sailing and they probably don't want an air con and definitely don't want a fly bridge or spa bath.

The lagoon is aimed at the person who is not overly concerned with sailing performance and and will be happy to motor much more regularly. They want maximum space and comfort and are not worried that they have traded a lot of speed and performance to get higher comfort. Some buyers may not even like sailing at all and see it as a means to an end to get their floating home to their idyllic destination. They won't be playing with the sail controls unless its really necessary, they don't care about that extra 0.1 knot of speed. They want all the comforts of home and will bring it all with them.

The Catana is in between.
Old 30-03-2014, 08:12   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
Here is a rough stereotype of the potential buyers which will probably offend someone as stereotypes are not always accurate. Let the flaming begin.

The outremer is aimed at the keen sailor who's priority is a boat with excellent performance for fast cruising/racing with great windward performance. They will usually be seen trimming the sails for best performance on every windshift. They know what every sail control line does and will use them all. This person usually hates running the engine and will be vigilant in keeping the boat light. They are happy with less accommodation space. They go sailing just for the sake of going sailing and they probably don't want an air con and definitely don't want a fly bridge or spa bath.

The lagoon is aimed at the person who is not overly concerned with sailing performance and and will be happy to motor much more regularly. They want maximum space and comfort and are not worried that they have traded a lot of speed and performance to get higher comfort. Some buyers may not even like sailing at all and see it as a means to an end to get their floating home to their idyllic destination. They won't be playing with the sail controls unless its really necessary, they don't care about that extra 0.1 knot of speed. They want all the comforts of home and will bring it all with them.

The Catana is in between.
Hi dennisail

Thank you so much for your reply and it is something i will think about and perhaps .. i shall explain a bite about my self.. this way there might be an option for you to be able to give me suggestion on what to buy since i can see you are a dealer and i¨m as i wrote in the start a newbie when it comes to Cat.

i have been sailing mostly with x95 and X40 as a crew menber ... did a few sail races with them and of course the weekly local club race and also been on boat several other single keel boats boat size range up to 60´feet .. and i do like the speed but yes if i sail 0.1 faster on long legs i would not change it.. but i do love the race and i wont to avoid to use the motor as much as i can ..

The reason i want to sail in a Cat is i get more space and more comfort and even some more speed compared to other single keel boats ..... as i have written in my past post .. my budget is up to 1,5 mill. USD plus Danish taxes this leaves up to 500.000 for options and other things ... so any suggestion is highly appreciated
Old 30-03-2014, 10:59   #24
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

How about a Freydis 46' or 49'. Great performance and livable.
http://www.tourniermarine.com/index....atamarans.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 12:26   #25
cruiser

I'm not a dealer Mike. Looks like a Lagoon etc might not be the best choice for you since you are getting into racing and becoming a serious sailor. Sounds like the outremer will be a better boat for you since you don't appear to like motoring and like speed. The outremer will likely be much faster than any of the monos you sailed on.
Old 31-03-2014, 10:19   #26

Hi All
Thank you so much for your input i have learned allot and gotten a better idea on what i might be looking at and gotten alot of information both here and in private and want to thank you all .. ... and i will for sure let you know which one i chose but i have made the choise the boat i will be looking should¨t be more than 50´ .. since i would like to have the option to sail it "single handed" even do we will be a min f 2 crew members on board at all times with experience and proberly 1-2 additional Crew members and i believe that a 50´give enough room for up to 6 people at the same time
Old 31-03-2014, 21:03   #27

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
The reason i want to sail in a Cat is i get more space and more comfort and even some more speed compared to other single keel boats ..... as i have written in my past post .. my budget is up to 1,5 mill. USD plus Danish taxes this leaves up to 500.000 for options and other things ... so any suggestion is highly appreciated
That's exactly why I narrowed down my choice to Privilege 515 (or series 5). Of course in owners version. Their owners cabin is out of this world.

Another cat you may take a look at is Discovery 50.
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 23:02   #28

New Lagoon 52 is fast enough and comfortable! Big improvement over old 500.
hefestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 04:35   #29

so finally i have narrowed it "down" in size at least and the i have decided to go with a min of 54 feet .. to 60 feet .. and i¨m so looking forward to going and see them in Le grand Motte next weekend .. i will keep you posted

my feeling is that i need to figure out if i want to have High level of Comfort then my choice would be either a lagoon or a FP or if i should go for a bite more performance then my choises should be more towards the Catana or alibi or if i should go all the way and to Outremer for maximum speed

but as many people both here and other places have told me is to have a look and feeling on them which is my plan during this coming weekend and then have picked 2 of them to test sail .. i wanna say thank you to all of the people who has been so willing to give there feedback and suggestion .. . and i can only hope that once my choice has been made it will be easy in the future with choices such as where to go and so on ..
Old 20-04-2014, 05:02   #30
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Give a look to Nautitech 54, if they have one. A bit more expensive, a bit more performant than Saba 50 from FP. They have a version now available with fly bridge as well, but if this is a must for you , Saba should be better value for money as the performance will certainly be compromised...

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, catamaran