Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-09-2007, 12:03   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip van praag View Post
i would place the broadblue as a ford (this is a uk point of view)
Correction. This is a Privilege owners point of view...

Old 03-09-2007, 12:15   #17

Also as a Privilege owner I thought he (Philip Van Praag) would no how to spell it - privilage!!!

Prouts are good solid well built boats, maybe no the fastest but safe, mind you everybody to their own opinions.

Old 03-09-2007, 13:39   #18

Boat: SWITCH 51 CATAMARAN - ZIA
Cats as Cars

FP - Ford mustang - sporty, stylish but not built for long hauls
Lagoon - Toyota Camry - solid, not bad performance
Manta - Ford Granada - without the fine Corinthian leather
Catana - Bently - expensive, heavy, sexy, stately and oh so cool
Gunboat 48 - Ferarri - expensive, unpractical and loads of fun
Atlantic 55 - BMW 5 series - expensive and nice but not killer fast
Privlege - Lincoln - heavy, pricey but OK performer
Prout/Broadblue- Ford Crown Victoria - heavy but comfy
Wildcat 35 - Yugo -'nuff said
PDQ 42- Chevy Van
Heavenly Twins - Model T
Wharrams - Citroen - hard to figure out but cool looking...
Outremer - Ford Shelby - low tech but fast
Old 03-09-2007, 13:55   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchcat View Post

Manta - Ford Granada - without the fine Corinthian leather
I have never had luck with Fords. Junk IMO.

I never did like the Granada - especially the ads aimed at idiots who could mistake it for a Mercedes.

I have been reading everything I can find and have come to feel the Manta is a really good boat. I am not interested in fancy looking stuff. I prefer functional.

I hope you are wrong in your comparison.

Not being able to afford a Manta is making me look at a Gemini for coastal US and Bahamas.
I wonder if it would be a Model A to you.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:26   #20

Boat: SWITCH 51 CATAMARAN - ZIA
more cats as cars

No offense on the Manta - i always like Granadas - nice middle of the road car.

Gemini = Volkswagon Bug of course - ubiquitous and solid.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:13   #21

Boat: privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
Also as a Privilege owner I thought he (Philip Van Praag) would no how to spell it - privilage!!!

Prouts are good solid well built boats, maybe no the fastest but safe, mind you everybody to their own opinions.
i no my spelling is bad but as an owner i only have to look at the logo on the side of my home its a french boat
and its spelt with an e
moby dick, perhaps i should expand on my ford coment im not putting down the bb (it was our second choice)
hear (uk) fords are one of 3-4 mass brands they provide good value for money the family car.
ireaney,
if you only want to pick on people rather than have a point of view and be ready to back it why bother posting
perhaps if you told us more about yourself we could find something you do badly and put it on the forum.
for some one who has problems with writing i dont think in doing to bad im making an effort.
i enjoy this forum for the great debate and advice not the back biting. perhaps you could lern to do the same.
(by the way hears the t you missed (no..t))
Old 04-09-2007, 02:25   #22

Hi Philip, didn't mean to offend just my sense of humour, I also enjoy the forum, and if you knew all my faults you would have a field day.
My ultimate choice would be the 445 but finances will not stretch to it, am I right in saying that earlier in one of your posts you stated that they were now doing the 445 with dagger boards?
I knew that they did offer the 435 a long time ago with dagger boards but withdrew the option. Do you keep your Privilege in the UK?
Old 04-09-2007, 07:24   #23

Boat: privilege 37
Quote:
Hi Philip, didn't mean to offend just my sense of humour, I also enjoy the forum, and if you knew all my faults you would have a field day.
My ultimate choice would be the 445 but finances will not stretch to it, am I right in saying that earlier in one of your posts you stated that they were now doing the 445 with dagger boards?
I knew that they did offer the 435 a long time ago with dagger boards but withdrew the option. Do you keep your Privilege in the UK?
yes we are in uk brighton
i may be mistaken to the exact model number as it was an article in a french mag and i could only translate the hilights. it was not a dagger board as such but more like a lifting keel so it seemed to have a small keel housing under the boat at all times and then a keel swings down out of this.
i agree 445 is our dream boat to but sold my sole to get this one so let me know if you come across some good finance elastic i only need a mile or so!!
Old 04-09-2007, 07:40   #24

This discussion even enforces my desire to focus on the Privilege, Broadblue, Manta and the Voyage. I am rereading a very old version of Hal Roths book now (I first read it in the 70s) and am reminded that for our intended use (circumnavigation) simple is better.
Any discussion about this approach to these boats? Others to consider?
I am looking at Quasars as well(thanks to this thread) but 50' seems big for just the two of us.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:06   #25

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
The 435 did have a more 'sporting' option that included daggerboards and a carbon mast. Nobody bought it - hardly anyone bought the standard version either - everyone including me chose the Easy Cruise option which has the extended hull. So, Privilege eventually dropped most of the configurations, made the extended hull standard and called it the 445.

http://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 22:15   #26

Boat: Privilege 42
Reliability is Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by libellula View Post
This discussion even enforces my desire to focus on the Privilege, Broadblue, Manta and the Voyage.
Brands are good place to start, but even within a given brand the different models will vary in their suitability for a world cruise. Privilege and Voyage both have made many, many models of catamarans. The Privileges, for instance, have gone on a 'lighter is better' path since around 2000, so the newer boats are likely to be faster and more responsive than the older boats, but may not be as doubly redundantly bullet-proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libellula View Post
simple is better
As the owner and maintainer of a complex boat, I would have to agree. However, I have a hard time coming up with any major system I would be willing toss overboard. So, I'm trying to simplify my complex systems -- to varying degrees of success.

My theory: Americans today (I'm including myself here) are spoiled by luxury and convenience. Especially the ones that can afford to buy a boat and take off cruising for several years. Its hard for us to imagine living without refrigeration or hot water or instant world-wide communications. This has happened in basically one or two generations. The simplicity these old timers (no offense intended) talk about doesn't exist for us.

I think they went for simplicity to get reliability. And reliability is still key. But I think the refrigeration system you can buy in 2007 is so much more reliable than anything you could get in, say 1977 (30 years ago!), that for all practical purposes refrigeration is now a 'simple' system. Well, almost.

Greg
Privilege 42 - Day Dreamer
Old 09-09-2007, 08:10   #27

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harriet View Post
There are at least a half dozen Mantas in the Caribbean right now, all of which started out in the U.S. I've yet to see any Broadblues or PDQs, although I am sure they are quite capable of making the trip.
A lot of PDQ's in the BVI's, Barecat charters had some in their charter fleet. Broadblues are around and indeed I'm taking one of them from Tortola to Fort Lauderdale next week. Tony
Old 15-09-2007, 20:56   #28
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
A Catalac of course

Heck, Not fair!! As you only catagorize current production boats, but if a Heavenly Twin is in this mix, then I can post my two cents worth.

My Catalac is ..er....well.... a Cadillac of course (an older one of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundy View Post
What I am wondering is if you could related the cat brands to car brands. Confusing I know so I will give some examples and remember these are just examples. Since I don't know too much about the cat company's yet the examples may not be even close to true. That is why I need your help.
Old 20-12-2007, 14:35   #29
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
I believe that PDQ is now defunct - a week ago there was an ad in the Toronto Globe and Mail by the receiver for an auction of all epuipment/supplies/tools/vehicles and an unfinished hull etc. at their plant. I think their boats were decently well designed and constructed, albeit the 44 was an unattractive box. There have been a number of 36's and 32's in the Caribbean and beyond.

Brad

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: