Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 02:47   #1

Catamaran 44 Living Abroad in the Mediterranean

Could anyone share the annual maintenance cost for a Lagoon 440 in the Mediterranean.
Actually I'm looking to the used market for a 250-300k€ used 440 2007-2008, I know that what you spend depends on a lots of thing but I simply would like to take a look to the annual bills for this kind of boat ( Lagoon 440 or a similar range cat) to have a general idea about the costs
If someone would be so gentle to share I will appreciate

thanks for your attention
james3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:47   #2

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Mine costs me about $20,000 a year to maintain in Australia.
Antifoul,service of 3 engines,sails,lines,repairs,polishing plus a fex abnormal repairs
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:02   #3

Re: Catamaran 44 living abroad in the Mediterranean

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
Mine costs me about $20,000 a year to maintain in Australia.
Antifoul,service of 3 engines,sails,lines,repairs,polishing plus a fex abnormal repairs
thanks for replying
Old 06-08-2012, 06:00   #4

Boat: Lagoon 440

We spent 2009-2011 in the med on our Moody 46 (mono). We are now back in the Caribbean on our new 2008 Lagoon 440
Our average costs in the med was about $4000/mo all things (eating, entertainment, maintenance, repairs, fuel etc). Costs highest in Croatia followed by Italy then France. Greece and Turkey much less expensive and better cruising!
The Lagoon will be more. Marinas for you will be on average 100-120 euros/night. Also know you will motor ALOT

Recommendations: We installed a large (880 watt) solar with a new Outback charger/inverter on our Lagoon. Provides all the electric we need. Only use genet for AC or when we make water. Have a good water-maker.
jmpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:54   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpilot View Post
We spent 2009-2011 in the med on our Moody 46 (mono). We are now back in the Caribbean on our new 2008 Lagoon 440
Our average costs in the med was about $4000/mo all things (eating, entertainment, maintenance, repairs, fuel etc). Costs highest in Croatia followed by Italy then France. Greece and Turkey much less expensive and better cruising!
The Lagoon will be more. Marinas for you will be on average 100-120 euros/night. Also know you will motor ALOT

Recommendations: We installed a large (880 watt) solar with a new Outback charger/inverter on our Lagoon. Provides all the electric we need. Only use genet for AC or when we make water. Have a good water-maker.
thanks

I suppose that in your 4000$/month budget you were really large
Old 06-08-2012, 10:26   #6

Our Moody being only 46 feet was much cheaper than a Lagoon440 for marina. To be honest I think our estimate of $4000/mo is a bit low
Unfortunately it only takes a few sig repairs to inflate the average. Also I am not that handy so I often had to pay full price to the marina pirates!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:33   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpilot View Post
Our Moody being only 46 feet was much cheaper than a Lagoon440 for marina. To be honest I think our estimate of $4000/mo is a bit low
Unfortunately it only takes a few sig repairs to inflate the average. Also I am not that handy so I often had to pay full price to the marina pirates!
Sorry if I ask, did you paid a docking every place you have been ? Why you didn't drop just the anchor using the tender to get on the land since you are sailing a catamaran that is pretty comfortable at the anchor ?

In Italy if you want to dock a boat like the lagoon 440 for an entire year you'll pay something like 7-10k €,(the same place) but if you pay the docking while sailing port to port I think that the one year docking will be at least double of that, it's a big difference!

Sorry if I'm asking, I have some real estates that I would like to evolve in this dream and I want to be sure that I'll be large buying and living on this kind boat for few years

thanks for your attention
Old 06-08-2012, 11:51   #8

you can email me direct at orthomartin@yahoo.com

Again we own a Lagoon 440 now but while in the med we were on a 2001 Moody 46 monohull. We anchored 90+% of the time. It is just that everything in the med is expensive unless you are in Greece or Turkey

BTW, I will be surprised if you find a decent L-440 for 300euro (370k usd). Perhaps some of the first in the series or one out of hard charter. We paid 500k for our 2008 last year after looking at a lot of Lagoons. You also have to decide if you will only be sailing in the med as if that is the case you will want a 220v boat
Old 13-08-2012, 05:56   #9

Boat: Lagoon 410

The med. is big - in prices-differences. In Croatia I pay for my docking place per year 11.000€, for daily docking between 75€ to 100€. But you can drop your anchor at no costs nearly everywhere. The yearly permits are around 500€. Craning, painting, motor-service, lines, sails, repairs, etc. make around 3.000-5.000€ a year.

Same prices are in Italy, eastcoast (Adria).

Food-prices, Restaurants etc. are in Croatia and Italy the same like they are in Austria or Germany.

In Greece (Ionoc sea), I pay in Marina´s between 40 and 85 € per day, a yearly docking space for a Lagoon410 ist around 6.000€. In harbours, you pay between zero to 10 € per day. The prices go down, the more your going east (Ägäis)

If you go to Turkey, prices again go down 50% compared to Greece.

Same ist for Tunesia, Cyprus, Malta.

Really expensive gets everything in France (Riviera).

In general, you can say the more south and east you go, so more priceworthy everything gets.

Parts of Spain (including Mallorca), all of France, parts of Italy (westcost Riviera) are the most expensive places.
Joejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 13:22   #10

Re: Catamaran 44 Living Abroad in the Mediterranean

We are in Croatia, Marina Kremik is around 10k australian a year whilst Turkey is half that, it all depends on what you do yourself when it comes to maintenece, for us it is only the physical up and down and aqua blast, the rest we do, same for repairs.
I.E. How long is a piece of string? Depends on whether you are capable of cutting it at an affordable length otherwise others will look to you to keep them alive.
Cruising you need to be independent and minimise to your budget, works for us,,,,,,,
Cheers Frank & Viv
Old 13-08-2012, 13:43   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Re: Catamaran 44 Living Abroad in the Mediterranean

I do a lot of the labor myself as we live on board ... not sure of the med but I fly most stuff in from the USA as it is cheaper that way ... maintenance rushes us about $1500.00 / month and we do a LOT for that!
impi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, mediterranean