Nat, there are various approaches to replacing the headlining. The best is to divide your roof into easily handled shapes (e.g. 2ft x 2ft) created by pieces of 3mm plywood
screwed to the deckhead. Remove the shapes and cover the individual tiles with the covering of your choice, then screw back up. This enables the items under the headlining to be accessed when required.
I decided that this was not feasible in my 9m as I have a long back, and needed all the headroom
I could get when seated in the saloon
. I therefore decided that I would have to cover the complete area just in glued on material.
I do not like the standard vinyl + foam headlinings.
I decided to use felt backed carpet. This would provide better insulation
and a nice finish. Plus the felt would last much longer than foam.
I carefully removed the old headlining so that I could use it as a cutting guide.
I removed the horrible old brittle foam, and as much of the old glue as possible. I tried to get back to bare GRP and achieved at least 90%.
I researched the right glue to use. I was concerned that most contact adhesive
would have too low a melt point, and on a hot day the lining would droop and all the effort wasted. I eventually purchased a very expensive car headlining glue suitable for use anywhere in the world. Beware here, the higher the melt point, the more expensive the glue. the solvents in it if applied too thickly can also attack the bond between the felt and the carpet.
I then employed a carpet fitter and his chum to do the actual cutting and fitting (good move this one)
Most expensive part was the glue!!!!
I saved much more than 50% of the cost of a professional doing all the work, by doing the preparation myself.
I removed all the windows in order to ease the problem of the fit, and to ensure ventilation throughout the boat. This enabled me to re-seal all the windows.
This is what it looks like
Further thoughts on Catalac
headlining Your Heading Goes Here