Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 13:29   #1

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Cat2Fold on Yellowstone Lake

Because my 36' x 24' Catamaran can fold to 8.5', I can easily and quickly take it to all the "Hot" sailing venues in North America.
I purchased Cat2Fold from the original creator (although Kurt Hughes ultimately designed the boat) in SoCal earlier this Spring. I, along with my girlfriend, christened her by sailing out to Catalina Island for a lovely, long weekend.
Then, in the end of June, I was lucky enough to get my kids and go spend a week on Yellowstone lake in our country's first National Park.
Sailing in the 40 something degree fresh water was certainly a different experience than having dolphins swimming off the bows in Southern California!
Cat2Fold is a one of a kind custom boat. She sports a freestanding biplane rig with carbon fiber masts. She takes about 2 hours to set up for day sailing.
The boat sails wonderfully! She is definitely not an over powered race machine, but I think passages averaging 10 knots (in cruise mode) are quite realistic for her. Her biplane rig has been interesting. I've learned that when close hauled, if you fall off to more of a beam reach, there is a point that the windward sail causes such a wind shadow to the leeward one that the leeward sail sucks in towards the windward sail as if we had just changed tack. What I've decided to do to alleviate this is to ease out the main sheet of the windward sail to create a tighter slot, or venturi effect. This seems to alleviate the problem.
This boat is so easy to sail, its kind of like having a dinghy sailboat that just so happens to have have around 850 square feet of living space!
Not quite the luxurious floating condo style cat that I've chartered in the BVI before but, every boat has its compromises. This one can fold up and be trailed to my Idaho mountain cabin (6400 ft.) and sit here for free allowing me to tinker on her slowly and dream of my next up and coming adventure!
Speaking of which, I have just signed up for the Baja Haha for this fall. This is a rally that sails from San Diego, CA to Cabo San Lucas, Baja, Mex. over the course of two weeks. Then I will spend another 2 months cruising through the Sea of Cortez, eventually finishing my tour in San Carlos, Mex.
I am currently in the process of installing a used water maker and an Airhead toilet. Will see how that all pans out.
Here are a few pics for you to check out my Cool Cat!!!

Cheers,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0506.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	29469   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0996.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	29470  

Name:	DSC_1007.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	368.9 KB
ID:	29471   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0169.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	418.0 KB
ID:	29472  

Name:	DSC_0798.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	29473   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0143.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	29474  

solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 15:14   #2

Boat: Morgan 33OI-Dreamtime
Re: Cat2Fold on Yellowstone Lake

Wow!
I have cruised on my Morgan OI in the EC for five years now, but I've wondered about a setup like you've got. The Idaho deal is too much (as is Yellowstone)!

Keep us up to date.

From what I hear Baha is great also.

Fair Winds.
Ed
svdreamtime.com
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote