Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2011, 07:43   #1

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Cat2Fold is Wondering Where To Go ?

Hi all,
Earlier this year, in October, I drove Cat2Fold from the mountains of Idaho/Wyoming to Marina Del Rey in Southern California to launch her and participate in the 2011 Baja-Haha. After launching, I drove my truck and trailer to Tucson Arizona where they sit in storage. The original plan was to sail around the sea of cortez for a couple of months then pull out in San Carlos around New Years. Cold weather and many northerlies in and around La Paz, helped make the decision to extend the trip through the winter. My girlfriend and I are currently sitting in an anchorage (Chacala) just 40 or so miles from Puerto Vallarta.
Barring the need to go home for 2-4 weeks in February to visit my kids, I have until sometime around May for this one trip. Then I need/want to get the boat and trailer reunited and get back home and get to work!!!
This trip I'm currently on is the fulfillment of a dream I've had for some time, and every day on the water has me longing for more!
Here's where I have a question; should I just keep heading south into Central America then turn around and head back up to San Carlos (5 hour drive from Tucson with a good boat ramp), or should we go through the Panama canal, take a left and head up the east side of the continent, and pull out in Galveston, Texas? Pros and cons of Sea of Cortez compared to the western Caribbean? How about general wind patterns; I know the Sea of Cortez is predominantly NW winds this time of year and switches to some SE in May-June, what are the western Caribbean winds like during the spring (March, April, May)?
The other kicker involved is the fact that of all the insurances that I needed to get for my boat, truck, mexican and american, Cat2Fold is still NOT COVERED while towing overland in Mexico.
On a side note, when I go home in February, I will be looking for an inexpensive and safe place to keep Cat2Fold. It can be on the hard (she has never had a bottom paint) or in the water. I'd prefer not to have to fold her, and she is 24' wide.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Cheers,
Brian
s/v Cat2Fold
cat2fold
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 08:04   #2

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33
Re: Cat2Fold is wondering where to go?

Hey C2F, I was in the 2011 Baja Ha Ha with you guys. I was on "Liberation II," a 46' Hallberg-Rassy. We were anchored a couple of boats away from you down in Cabo, but spoke to you about your boat at one of the earlier beach parties. Personally, If I had the funds and the time, and was looking at the choices you're looking at, I would carry on going south and then head through the Panama Canal and into the Caribbean. Good luck whatever you do.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote