Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2014, 16:45   #16

Re: Cat with 8 lives left?

Thanks for the feedback guys. We'll definitely make sure the entire rudder structure is sound. I remember seeing a video of rudder structure failure from a boat that was lost. Not a position I'd like to be in.

I was contacted by a documentation agency today offering their services for $700. Seems like a waste, but maybe there's more to it than I'm aware of?

Boat is currently registered in MD. I was going to document it with the coast guard. Looks like a simple form.

I suppose title search could be helpful, but I googled the seller and he seems like an upstanding member of society.

What is the general feeling on documentation services? Worth the money or easy enough to do on our own?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
DanDanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 16:55   #17
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

If it's currently CG documented it's an easy process. The title search or abstract of title is an online form to fill out and costs $25.00. The actual documentation papers are easy to fill out and runs about $100.00.
http://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/nvdcforms.asp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 17:24   #18

It is not currently documented. I assume I would do a title search with the state of Maryland?

Sounds like I can save several hundred doing this myself. My business operates in several states and DC. We're used to dealing with government forms...

Old 01-10-2014, 08:34   #19

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

I would echo others above on damage. The documentation service is silly. It's a bunch of forms and a check. Took us about 45 minutes which included locating and downloading the forms.

SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 17:40   #20

Did the survey today, came away with one unknown.

Moisture meter detected some moisture above the waterline generally below and aft of the chain plate on the port side.

Surveyor didn't seem to think it was a huge problem as the boat has a foam core, but we were unable to determine where the water was found. There was no sign of delamination.

Anyone have any ideas as to how serious this might be or what to do about it if I were to buy this boat?

Thanks for the help!

Old 04-10-2014, 00:37   #21

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Moisture readings very from slightly damp to wet and based on what the survey said tells you how much to worry.that said they usually do not fix themselves. If it was me I would remove and reseat all the fittings that where in side the damp area. You might find some answers when you look behind the liner. That is because usually the hull is unfinished. You may have a winner there
David
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:50   #22

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Regarding documentation We just had our boat transfered which was in transit in Grenada with British registry to Canadian and it was an estate sale. They coordinated the survey and such. That was worth paying for. But if it is in the same country Iwould do it myself.
David
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote