Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-08-2015, 20:06   #76

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3
Re: Cat vs Cat vs Cat which one to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-man77 View Post
Dave-

thanks for your reply, very informative
I had an old 26' seabird yawl that would love to sail to weather by it's self once the sails were set I could just let go of the tiller, one time I was crossing from Santa Barbara to the Channel Islands and I fell asleep, suddenly my sixth sense (or angels) woke me up and without even looking I dove on the tiller and put her hard over!
then I looked up to find myself counting rivets on a big freighter as I had sailed into the shipping lanes which is normal to cross but better done while awake!

BB

Yes, that center located mast would provide for a bigger front triangle for sure. I have been talking with Nathen's partner Rob (really great guy) about the possibility of a FF 44' or 46' but with less finish at a cheaper price and there will be a kit. We both think this hull is a good candidate for electric motors sense the first time they motored it was doing 8knots at Idle and it scared the hell out of everyone so they had to de-tune the props. The roller reefing system was his Idea. I like the boat a lot! just have to wait and see how much we get for our house $$$$$$$$

Tabby-

yes I like the MC 41 too, it is another boat on my radar
8 Knts at idle mmmm
Waste of money putting a stick and sails on it if that was true.

Old 14-09-2015, 20:44   #77

Id praise the Nautitech 47. I've had one for 2 years and sailed it 20,000 miles. After seeing many of the other Cats that are available, I really can say these are great boats. Ours is simple, solar panels, 12v Watermaker, Hydrovane self steering. It has many great features such as Galley up, huge safe cockpit, high freeboard ( dry boat) simple rig. Whilst our averages are usually around 170 miles a day, 200+ is not uncommon. Some people dislike the outboard helm stations but I'd have them again tomorrow, they've never been an issue with such great self steering gear. The shallow keels are foam filled and not part of the hull so should you touch the ground you don't comprise the watertightness of the boat. The 900 liters of fresh water are in 3 plastic tanks that don't have any residual taste. The list of positive attributes goes on and on. Mr Mavrikios and Mr Mortain have done a great job. The downside are ( like many Cats) bridge deck height and that it's built down to a price, not up to a quality. The "flat pack" interior can look tatty quickly. I also had a bad time getting any sort of help or info from the after sales at the yard about the boat.
Hope that helps, I'd be happy to answer any other questions.
www.shineofexeter.net

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 16-09-2015, 19:21   #78

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-man77 View Post
yes I like the MC 41 too, it is another boat on my radar
FYI, the first Maine Cat 38 is supposed to hit the water by year end. While it follows the great room concept of the 30 and 41, standard is hard sides and opening front windows. A completely different animal. Focus is on light weight to enable light air sailing and performance cruising. I'm told hull #1 is beating their weight schedule. Should go nice and still allow decent payload. The bridge deck is a blank canvas, you can furnish it however you like.
Old 22-09-2015, 16:08   #79

Boat: Planned FP Helia 44 in 2016

For what it's worth, my wife and I have been pretty intensively searching for your Type 3 cat. We pretty quickly became convinced that Fountaine Pajot was the right make, and we're zeroing in on the Helia. I think its oriented a bit more towards comfort than your Type 3 description, but we love it.
Tom
Old 22-09-2015, 18:02   #80
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark424 View Post
FYI, the first Maine Cat 38 is supposed to hit the water by year end. While it follows the great room concept of the 30 and 41, standard is hard sides and opening front windows. A completely different animal. Focus is on light weight to enable light air sailing and performance cruising. I'm told hull #1 is beating their weight schedule. Should go nice and still allow decent payload. The bridge deck is a blank canvas, you can furnish it however you like.

I like all the Maine Cats and will be excited to see the final product of the 38'er. I hope she lives up to her performance promises.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-09-2015, 03:19   #81
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat View Post
4th type:
Somewhere in between, daggerboard cat, sails really well, easy to tack (self tacking) and comfortable, but not luxurious. Can beat to weather when needed and sail itsself off a lee shore. Average speed for passages always seems to be 6 knots (including anchoring and lolling about in light winds), but we can do 12+ if conditions are right, with an all time record of 27 knots (which we hope never to repeat). More importantly, she still moves in 5 knots of wind. Easy to single hand and a joy to doublehand. Reefing all done inside. Helm station is protected from wind & waves - we threw away our foul weather gear! When people enter our salon, their first words are always "wow" since it's so roomy. Adventures at Sea

or Maine Cat 41 - Maine Cat Catamarans
Sounds like a list of what a reasonable cat should have
Old 25-09-2015, 19:52   #82

Boat: PDQ 36

Hey Tom M1 and Vela,

Welcome to the CF!

I'll put a plug in for the PDQ36. It will save you much of the money for most of the other boats discussed in this thread, and it is plenty for two people. It sails well in light air and has lifting outboards. Somethoing to think about.

Joe Mc
Old 26-09-2015, 18:03   #83

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiBits View Post
Hey Tom M1 and Vela,

Welcome to the CF!

I'll put a plug in for the PDQ36. It will save you much of the money for most of the other boats discussed in this thread, and it is plenty for two people. It sails well in light air and has lifting outboards. Somethoing to think about.

Joe Mc
I single hand a Seawind with lifting outboards. Just had the CDI go out on one of the 9.9 Yamahas (a fairly common problem for that engine) and got it fixed for less than a boat buck, something that would not happen with an inboard. If you are getting a cat with slick hulls then outboards should be able to move it through the water at a lot less cost than inboards. They also tend to be lighter and don't require holes in the bottom of your boat.

Also have to say I have a square top that seems to make all the difference in light airs. Square tops also seem to drop like a guillotine when the main is released. On the downside they can be a PITA to raise.

Keep in mind buying a used boat means the boat has been used. It is important to know just how much it has been used.
Old 26-09-2015, 20:19   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
I single hand a Seawind with lifting outboards. Just had the CDI go out on one of the 9.9 Yamahas (a fairly common problem for that engine) and got it fixed for less than a boat buck, something that would not happen with an inboard. If you are getting a cat with slick hulls then outboards should be able to move it through the water at a lot less cost than inboards. They also tend to be lighter and don't require holes in the bottom of your boat.

Also have to say I have a square top that seems to make all the difference in light airs. Square tops also seem to drop like a guillotine when the main is released. On the downside they can be a PITA to raise.

Keep in mind buying a used boat means the boat has been used. It is important to know just how much it has been used.

some things to think about...cheers
Old 03-10-2015, 21:07   #85

I value performance first, I will not even look inside a boat that does not sail well least I be swayed.

I also value seaworthiness

I am wondering why they rate Privilege 39 cats so highly?

when I look at them they seem to go against everything I have read in regards to performance,

low bridge deck clearance

covered solid foredeck ect.

A I missing something?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: