Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 13:11   #31

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Cat sinks off Sunshine Coast QLD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Didn't mean it wasn't Blue capable, I was commenting on the fact that my mono's have been pretty heavy duty... so who am I to suggest people can go in a light boat!
TPI Lagoon 42, no major crossing in it but some pretty rough stuff for limited periods of time and maybe up to 45 winds. No creaking, no obvious flexing, no feeling like things were moving around much etc.
Haaa but those TPI are a diferent bread, brick construction!!! we have one here in the boatyard!!
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 13:21   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Haaa but those TPI are a diferent bread, brick construction!!! we have one here in the boatyard!!
Yeah, I like the bridgedeck clearance on them. Also the huge radius that fairs the bridgedeck to the hulls.... avoids flexing and distributes the stress....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 14:36   #33

Boat: Norseman 447

Good place to sink, not too far from rescue right in a very busy shipping lane, sea not too bad and hopefully a nice quick insurance payout, whilst I hate to cast dispersions on anyones character these thoughts do cross ones mind
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 15:07   #34

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticatarcher View Post
Good place to sink, not too far from rescue right in a very busy shipping lane, sea not too bad and hopefully a nice quick insurance payout, whilst I hate to cast dispersions on anyones character these thoughts do cross ones mind
I blush to admit that the same sort of thoughts crossed my mind as well, Warwick!

Jim
Old 04-05-2014, 15:51   #35

Boat: Monk 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
A popped thru hull...one would think that would be a very rare occurrence, don't you think?
Well, when I went to remove a head discharge ball valve to rebuild/replace it, the thru hull snapped off next to the hull, quite easily. Cheap bronze - pink in the middle. I only like my steaks that way. A 40mm hole in the bottom of a boat is not something I'd look forward to at sea.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 16:01   #36

Not an ideal "insurance job". Wouldn't a fire on board whilst alongside be a better option?

Sorry Sparau, it was bloody rough offshore on Saturday. Might have been nice in close but not 10 plus miles out. Winds were offshore (NW to SW, 25k), but against a northerly set and a strong Easterly swell ( off Tweed Coast, at least ). However this uncomfortable sea state was not nearly enough to fatally damage a properly constructed 50 foot catamaran.

I hope the boat gets salvaged so that the speculation as to the cause of taking on water can be resolved. Guessing is much worse than knowing.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 16:12   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Far too many bloody through hulls in those things for my liking !
Old 04-05-2014, 16:18   #38

Boat: Farrier f27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I blush to admit that the same sort of thoughts crossed my mind as well, Warwick!

Jim

Yeah, my cynicism has me seeing it as a possibility. What, a 3-4 month wait for pay out?
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 16:22   #39

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Obviously you lot have never tried to find a hole in a Boat thats full of water in a storm and at night,

Wish you all luck with that one, I hope it never happens to you,

Google and the Internet wont help you, Your sinking, Fix it or Sink, Simple,

And they did have five people looking for the hole,

Bilge pumps wont cover a Thru Hull fitting Failure,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 16:33   #40
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticatarcher View Post
This guy has a lot of money - old money. The boat is chump change.

And, if you where really that stupid, would you have 3 other witnesses?
Old 04-05-2014, 16:36   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cat sinks off Sunshine Coast QLD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Obviously you lot have never tried to find a hole in a Boat thats full of water in a storm and at night,

Wish you all luck with that one, I hope it never happens to you,

Google and the Internet wont help you, Your sinking, Fix it or Sink, Simple,

And they did have five people looking for the hole,

Bilge pumps wont cover a Thru Hull fitting Failure,
+A1..
Nearly had a Catalac go from under me between Trafalgar and Tarifa when a solid UFO split the glass under the bridge deck as we slammed over and through waves in one of the Gibraltar Straits outa nowhere E'ly gales... just made it into Barbatte with the lifeboat standing by in case.. water was shin deep over the floors in each hull..
Did not find the cause till the next day after I'd pumped out all the water and could get under to check the hulls.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 18:19   #42

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I've had a copy of the book "Total Loss" for years that is a collection of first hand stories involving the loss of sail boats in a variety of circumstances. In the stories that involved losses caused by taking on water, the eye-opening factors were that leaks from holes - once the water has gotten up a few inches past the hole itself - are incredibly difficult to locate and more so if the boat is tossing back and forth in a sea and/or the holes are not directly accessible from inside the cabin. The other thing is that bilge pumps quickly foul when all paper, cardboard, oil absorbent pads and other detritus start to turn to mush and mix with the water inside the boat.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 18:56   #43

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I've had a copy of the book "Total Loss" for years that is a collection of first hand stories involving the loss of sail boats in a variety of circumstances. In the stories that involved losses caused by taking on water, the eye-opening factors were that leaks from holes - once the water has gotten up a few inches past the hole itself - are incredibly difficult to locate and more so if the boat is tossing back and forth in a sea and/or the holes are not directly accessible from inside the cabin. The other thing is that bilge pumps quickly foul when all paper, cardboard, oil absorbent pads and other detritus start to turn to mush and mix with the water inside the boat.
The above is very fair comment and worth remembering when expounding sabotage theories on this sad event. It's beyond belief in my opinion that the skipper would risk his own life and his crews life, leave the boat in the dark in rough sea conditions to collect an insurance payout. Ridiculous!
Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 19:23   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia II View Post
The above is very fair comment and worth remembering when expounding sabotage theories on this sad event. It's beyond belief in my opinion that the skipper would risk his own life and his crews life, leave the boat in the dark in rough sea conditions to collect an insurance payout. Ridiculous!
Hear Hear!

It is of the utmost importance to understand the mechanism of water ingress as it leads to questions about the safety of many of our production boats. So it is disappointing that the vessel may never be inspected for this purpose.

As to the decision to abandon ship, there will be many influences on a captain's decisions. Experience and confidence in one's capacities. Safety of the crew, and their individual capacities to cope, contribute and survive. I'm sure night time events sap confidence more than daylight events. Not everyone wants to go down with the ship anymore! Some don't like getting wet. Whilst staying on board might have been an option to facilitate salvage or to limp into port, it does carry significant risks of injury of varying severity. I'm sure different people see the trade off between risk and cost in different ways. Having insurance should and does enter the algorithm. Further, we speculate as to the possible scenarios, but were not there at the time. Questioning motive is perhaps a little harsh.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 20:20   #45

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Once you get a foot or so of water whooshing backwards and forwards thru your boat,

Your nice clean and tidy floors are submerged under all the contents of your cupboards as they empty out onto the floors, Water does that, Very strange, Hahaha

Any thing that floats, IS, Its just one big sodden mass of garbage you have to wade thru, Sliding doors, Drawers, Cushions, Bedding, Clothes, Food, Containers, Etc Etc, Is all floating in the slop,
Any thing that doesnt float, Is laying on the floor waiting to stab your feet, Fishing gear, Tools, Knives, Etc Etc,
And bare feet, Where's my shoes in all this mess, ???????????

Batterys, Tools, Spares, Bilge pumps, Paper, Maps, Are all down low, So you are going to lose power very quickly as they all get submerged,
Your going to be on Flashlights only, very quickly,
Time, is some thing you dont have,

Watching batterys going under is quite Frightening, Even for me, Huge Sparks and Flames shooting out,
Will the boat burn as well,
Will they explode, No idea on that one, I hope not,

And its Pitch Black inside, Its not the time to be having a Panic Attack, Hahahahaha

You cant step off it onto the Marina's Dock,

I also have an outer and an inner Hull,

Finding a Hole on the outer hull is impossible for me, In the water,
Unless I am out of the water, And 3 feet of the ground, Only Then, Can I see a hole in the outer Hull under the waterline,

I do have a big red button to push, Two in Fact, But they are the very last thing I think of,
But I will only push that when I am in the water and the boat is gone,
Depending on where I am, If close to a Beach, I will head for shore and ring a Taxi, Or Hitchhike home,
As long as the boat floats, and wont sink, I can fix it, Might take me a while, But I will get it done and with out help, But thats me,

Another side to it, If you have Hysterical Passengers on board, Thats a whole new Scenario you dont want to go into,
That throws the cool, calm and collected side of you out the window, Trying to control the Nutter at full voice and save your boat and them at the same time, Its not easy,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote