Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2013, 06:12   #46

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Cat sailors in Florida available to set some newbies straight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
....Why some people worry so much about light wind performance on a cruiser jsut baffles me. I would rather have a boat that handles in 15-30+ well, than one that flys in 5 knots, and needs to reef at 15.
Yes! I always chuckle when I hear people state they want a cat with light wind performance, then they go on to say they have budget for a 38-40' and they plan to load it up with all the extravagant things I listed above. It's simple physics, it ain't going to happen! You want your fully loaded 38 footer to go faster in light winds? Unload a couple tons of 'stuff'.

If you want all that 'stuff', look at something like the Etincelle 60, it can handle the stuff and still have good performance in light winds. But, plan to double (or more) the budget!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 06:28   #47
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:

Very true, statement, Have friends with a nice 45' cat, they wanted more speed and they got it with a huge Skreecher.

Why some people worry so much about light wind performance on a cruiser jsut baffles me. I would rather have a boat that handles in 15-30+ well, than one that flys in 5 knots, and needs to reef at 15.
What baffles me is people who don't care about light wind performance and end up motoring at the same speed others would be sailing at. Who says a boat that can sail in light wind can't handle heavy weather. A boat that can sail well can always reef for the heavier winds, were a boat that has no light wind performance has to run the diesels in light wind. Guess which boat sails more and burns less diesel. I agree, some people don't care about sailing performance and motor sail everywhere. Others get a joy out of killing the motor and sailing. Personal preference.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 06:43   #48

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
What baffles me is people who don't care about light wind performance and end up motoring at the same speed others would be sailing at. Who says a boat that can sail in light wind can't handle heavy weather. A boat that can sail well can always reef for the heavier winds, were a boat that has no light wind performance has to run the diesels in light wind. Guess which boat sails more and burns less diesel. I agree, some people don't care about sailing performance and motor sail everywhere. Others get a joy out of killing the motor and sailing. Personal preference.
I agree its a personal preference, it also depends on what you do, do you cruise and only have a few weeks at a time to do it?, or do you only Daysail on perfect days?
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 07:08   #49
smj

Quote:

I agree its a personal preference, it also depends on what you do, do you cruise and only have a few weeks at a time to do it?, or do you only Daysail on perfect days?
Can't see why it would matter. Whether I'm cruising full time or day sailing why shouldn't I enjoy doing what I enjoy doing which is sailing.
Old 13-02-2013, 07:11   #50
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post

Yes! I always chuckle when I hear people state they want a cat with light wind performance, then they go on to say they have budget for a 38-40' and they plan to load it up with all the extravagant things I listed above. It's simple physics, it ain't going to happen! You want your fully loaded 38 footer to go faster in light winds? Unload a couple tons of 'stuff'.

If you want all that 'stuff', look at something like the Etincelle 60, it can handle the stuff and still have good performance in light winds. But, plan to double (or more) the budget!
I absolutely agree. And if they only have the budget for the 38-40 foot cat but insist on all the goodies maybe they should look into a larger mono within their budget.
Old 13-02-2013, 07:18   #51

Quote:

Can't see why it would matter. Whether I'm cruising full time or day sailing why shouldn't I enjoy doing what I enjoy doing which is sailing.
It's your personal preference to not use your motor if you only have a week or 2 to take a trip on your boat. Then that's your choice to not make it to your destination Just as it is our preference to use on motor when we want to if we have a deadline. We love being on a boat with that need simply sailing Or motoring and or anchoring for drifting. That's why I agreed it's everyone's personal preference what they do with their boat and how they usedto it
to now you're changing your mindfor
Old 13-02-2013, 07:19   #52

Quote:

I absolutely agree. And if they only have the budget for the 38-40 foot cat but insist on all the goodies maybe they should look into a larger mono within their budget.
Why so they can heel and be un comfortable and go slower???
Old 13-02-2013, 07:27   #53
smj

Quote:

It's your personal preference to not use your motor if you only have a week or 2 to take a trip on your boat. Then that's your choice to not make it to your destination Just as it is our preference to use on motor when we want to if we have a deadline. We love being on a boat with that need simply sailing Or motoring and or anchoring for drifting. That's why I agreed it's everyone's personal preference what they do with their boat and how they usedto it
to now you're changing your mindfor
I agree. That's what I've been trying to say. If you want a boat with all the goodies and don't mind motoring then go for it. If you want to cruise on a glorified Hobie Cat more power to you. It's all about personal preference and what makes you happy. Just don't anchor upwind from me and run your generator all night shoving obnoxious diesel fumes down my hatch as im trying to sleep!:-)
Old 14-02-2013, 07:17   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
Just found this thread, and perhaps this "experience" is too late, but my experience is that sailing is VERY unpopular on the Gulf Coast of southern Florida.

In So Florida, most cruisers I know are in the Keys. The Cat brokers are in Ft Lauderdale, as previously mentioned. The brokers I've met in the area are earnest and friendly, but not experienced in cruising.

I'll be at the boat show and would also like to introduce my wife to some cruising couples on catamarans as well.
Yes Cats are not too well accomadated on Gulf Coast--very few doks at Marinas for Cata-for example City of Clearwater built a new marina--not one single dock for Cats--- and not a single 'do it yourself' boatyard for Cats-- so if you get a Cat here on Gulf coast better have your own house with a dock!!!
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 07:29   #55

heh heh biggest defenders of Lagoons -Lepoards-- FPS and the like are those who have them (stuck with them?) heh heh--- according to recent news they all sink well--now if I was to 'spend a bundle' on a Cat i would get a used Outremer and really sail-not motor sail as these others do mostly---and 'entertain 10-12 people"??? o the horrors of having more than 3-4 others on my boaty-----heh heh
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 07:55   #56

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post

SNIP

When it comes to all the additional niceties my only requirement is that I be able to live without something for an extended period if I can't fix it myself. I hate being dependent on finding someone to fix something that I can not. That's a lesson I've learned well living here on land in Thailand.
This is a consideration that is often overlooked until it is too late.

I just purchased what I thought was a cat in good condition. The first thing that went was the accumulator. Fortunately it was only a short bike ride to the Home Depot fro a $US37 replacement. But while it only took 5 min to replace it it took 45 min to clean out the anchor locker and crawl, bend, twist, and turn to get my stiff body into the anchor locker where the accumulator was located.

Sure I would like AC, water maker, washer, dryer, microwave, and TV with a working device for reception. Maybe I would even have room for them and the weight would not lower my waterline too much. Problem is I have no idea how to fix them if there was a problem. Not to mention I am usually single handing or short handed and the additional length, draft, weight to carry them would only make solo sailing harder.

To a great extent this may be horses for courses. But if your idea of cruising is to leave the US prices for things like AC really go up, not to mention the lack of folks who know how to fix the AC.

On another topic, boat speed is much more a function of the guy trimming the sheets and setting and steering the course than the boat you are in. I have been outsailed by boats I know should be slower than mine, and have outsailed boats I know are faster than mine. But I would still rather have a boat that sails well in light air.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=1&theater
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 19:38   #57

Everything comes down to preference, and that's where all these threads go, but I think it's fair to say that boats with slightly better performance would sail more and motor less. That is how I see it. If I was buying now, I would go after something with a bit better light wind performance so that I could sail a bit more than I would have on a boat that did not have good light wind performance.
Camp Director G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 20:28   #58
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp Director G View Post
Everything comes down to preference, and that's where all these threads go, but I think it's fair to say that boats with slightly better performance would sail more and motor less. That is how I see it. If I was buying now, I would go after something with a bit better light wind performance so that I could sail a bit more than I would have on a boat that did not have good light wind performance.
Your right. Some like to sail, some if given the chance would strap a couple of hulls and mast on their house and some are in between. It's all personal preference.
Old 17-02-2013, 20:45   #59

Boat: Skookum 53'

Welcome to the forum.

Tags
florida