Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2008, 07:38   #1

Boat: 1994 Hunter Passage 42 Center Cockpit
Cat Manufacturers / Designs

First of all, I am new to this Forum. Secondly, I am asking a very open question and expect a wide variety of responses, all of which are welcome.

Situation: I am four years away from retirement (61 yrs. old), my wife and I both in excellent health and fitness, and we have for many years yearned to live aboard for a year or two (or .... ?) following retirement. Due to dramatically increased costs in fuel, we are looking at catamarans (good coastal live aboard space, decent sailing characteristics, modern designs with running rigging lead into the helm area, electric winches, etc.), but would still like to combine coastal cruising (including Bahamas / Turks / etc.) with maybe the Great Loop cruise.

I am visiting the EndeavorCat factory in Clearwater, FL, next week for a tour. I would like to end up with a sound (probably used) cat, 34 - 40 feet, small diesel inboards -- no outboards, preferably keel / skeg hulls -- don't want to mess with centerboard and trunk maintenance and hassles, that can be single-hand sailed. Price (today's dollars) $160K or less.

I'm wide open for your opinions -- and thanks!
jpswoope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:01   #2
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Used Endeavourcats certainly seem to be a good place to start, considering your stated preferences. The PDQ 36 LRC with diesels would be another option ( more attractive, much better sailing performance albeit with less interior space). There are also some used Lagoon 38's that could probably be had in your price range.

Other boats to consider include various Prouts and the Solaris Sunstar 36 and Sunstream 40 as well as various custom/one-off's. If you have found any particular boat that interests you, this is a good place to ask for opinions.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:09   #3

Boat: Maine Cat 41
You will continue to be 'wide open'. No such animal in your price range (new). Wait a year or two and some FP's might come available (35',38') and also perhaps a Lagoon 38/41 from some distressed sellers. Buy a Multihull Magazine, research the ads on the web and you'll start to get a feel of the market and availability. For the size range you're looking at, if they're on the smaller end you'll find outboards and center/daggerboards. Boards, BTW, aren't nearly the hassle you believe them to be. (Just saying from my own experience). Smaller boats won't have/don't need electric winches generally speaking. Larger ones with diesels (2) won't likely be in your price range nor nearly as economical as a monohull to run/heat.

Keep doing your due diligence. But, I'll also ask this question... what's been your previous boat owning experience? I don't sense that there's much but you haven't said.
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:15   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I always advise looking at yachtworld.com for price comparing. It's not the bible of boat buying, but a great place to start.....BEST WISHES in securing the right boat for you..........
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:55   #5

Boat: 1996 PDQ 36
I have a PDQ 36 LRC and I love the boat. I would try to look at one if you get a chance.

Two good places to get info about them are pdqforum.com and pdq36.com . The 36 came in two flavors: the LRC (twin 18 hp Yanmar diesels) and the regular 36 (two Yamaha 9.9 hp outboards). I'm not sure if there are any 36 LRCs on the market right now, but they do come up every once in a while, despite the fact that many more regular 36s were made.
In fact, I'm probably going to move up to a larger cat in the next few years, so mine will eventually hit the market...

The price point for the 36 is usually in the 150 to 180K range, depending on year and shape.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you have.
chicagocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:03   #6

You donīt need soo many bedrooms. But if you have a big catamaran you should feel more satisfied to stay longer time onboard. And if you can step up with your budget little itīs no problem for a 2000 or newer Lagoon 380 or F-P 36 Mahe or the little older 38 Athena if i remember right. Sounds like a perfect start of the retirement.

If you can afford with a newer and bigger catamaran from a famous brand you will probably get all money back if you donīt want to keep the boat.

And why not take the boat to europe, if you are in the middle of summer stockholm(Sweden) archipelago with 30 000 islands is one of the best place to be. June-Sept.....

Good luck
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:26   #7

Boat: 1994 Hunter Passage 42 Center Cockpit
Cat Manufacturers / Designs

I really appreciate the replies thus far ... a couple of responses from me:

Experience: lots with small power boats, some with sail (monohulls) ranging from 21 ft. day sailers to crew on an 88 ft. schooner -- graduate of U.S. Naval Academy (power / sailing / navigation / etc.), but now prefer a non-haze gray boat without a flight deck or armament

Timeframe: will perform due diligence next three years or so, buy and outfit in fourth year, retire soon after

Plans: probably mostly coastal or upper Caribbean islands, but plans may change with experience, may ultimately retire landside in Northwest

Thanks again for all responses!

Jim Swoope
jpswoope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:06   #8

Boat: Heavenly Twins 26ft
word of caution!

If you are buying a catamaran - found out about hull slapping - I have a catamaran and after having monohulls find that the noise drives me crazy sometimes! Check with the designers and also make sure you go out on test runs - learn as much as you can about the boat before you buy it.
Old 11-07-2008, 13:02   #9
cruiser

Angry !%&*^% berth 'shelves'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailmatch View Post
If you are buying a catamaran - found out about hull slapping - I have a catamaran and after having monohulls find that the noise drives me crazy sometimes! Check with the designers and also make sure you go out on test runs - learn as much as you can about the boat before you buy it.
I hate slapping. The slapping is probably berth 'shelves,' assuming reasonable bridge deck clearance otherwise. A few designers, like me, avoid them by putting the berths wholly in the hulls, or at bridgedeck level. Read: The Elusive Cruising Catamaran Performance

Also, I keep the aft sections 'v'ed, so the stern overhang won't slap in a restless anchorage, too.

(Well, in a 26' stock catamaran, I wouldn't be surprised if there were very little bridge deck clearance.)
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 13:50   #10

Boat: Privilege 37
Jim, Check out Lagoon 37s made in US by TPI. They were made in mid-90's and offer lots of boat for the money. Lagoons are great sailors, have 2 15 or 28 HP diesels and large accomodations. They also have a high bridge deck clearance so you would have minimum bridge deck pounding. A friend just sold one for $165K, but you might find a better deal if you look hard enough. Good luck with your search.
Old 11-07-2008, 13:52   #11
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post
And why not take the boat to europe, if you are in the middle of summer stockholm(Sweden) archipelago with 30 000 islands is one of the best place to be. June-Sept.....Good luck
Sorry to side track the thread, but just finished checking it out on Google Earth. Wow! Definitely putting it on my list!
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote