Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2010, 12:30   #1

Boat: No boat yet - interested in 40ft Cat - possibly like to share / partner
Cat Charter with Kiteboarding

does anyone know of an outfit that offers cat charters packaged with kiteboarding? Someone mentioned this to me once and I forgot the outfit name. We are looking to charter this year and my hubby is an avid kiteboarder and we would like to combine the trip - sail and kiteboard.
ctsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 14:04   #2

Just bring your gear with you. My nephews always arrive with kiteboards and winsurfers. The windsurfer is more of an issue but still doable if you sail a sinker.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 14:50   #3

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
Never did the charter but did hire him to give my son some lessons. Good guy. Exuma Kitesurfing School : Catamaran Kiteboarding Charters
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 15:43   #4

Boat: R & C Leopard 38 (2001)
You didn't mention what region you're considering. Here's my $.02 in the Caribbean.

I concur that you should bring your own gear. Especially with Kites. Most anchorages are sheltered from wind and waves. If you want to launch off the back of the cat you'll want a windy anchorage. A few suggestions in the Carib: 1) North Sound BVI, Pick up one of the exposed balls at Saba Rock, typically windy through the cut, work your way up past the Bitter end. Flat water. 2) Anagada anchorage BVI has really, really flat water, offshore wind. 3) Green Cay (Orient Beach) St. Martin has pretty good rental gear on the beach and some fun wave riding South of the Cay outside the reef. There is a good flat water/beginner area at Gallion a short walk down the coast. Wind can be up and down... it doesn't always blow. 4) Another great spot is the Tobago Cays SVG. Wind is more consistent, flat inside the reef, bumpy outside. Definitely no rentals.

I'm sure there are others but I can't think of them...Now, if you're willing to dingy out to the wind, and get picked up when your done, that opens it all up.

All are great charter areas with plenty of entertainment for those not riding.

Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 16:14   #5
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
there is also a place in Paros Greece where looks like about 100 of them at any given time !
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 19:11   #6
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Another option is to call Ziad at Harel Yacht Brokers/Charters. He is a big kite boarder and they charter boats out of Oyster Pond on St. Marten. Follow the link:

http://www.harelyachts.com/
Old 14-04-2010, 13:23   #7

Boat: No boat yet - interested in 40ft Cat - possibly like to share / partner
thanks for the replies - should have mentioned that most likely destination is Caribbean and that my husband is most partial to his own equipment - I will check these places out - have run across Ziad whilst looking into used boats actually! (ultimate goal!!) so that is good to know that he is also a kiter.
ctsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 12:41   #8

Kite surfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsailer View Post
does anyone know of an outfit that offers cat charters packaged with kiteboarding? Someone mentioned this to me once and I forgot the outfit name. We are looking to charter this year and my hubby is an avid kiteboarder and we would like to combine the trip - sail and kiteboard.

Amazing Grace catamaran can do charters in the Bahamas, and arrange for kite surfing lessons, or rental of gear. Here's a website for Amazing Grace www.viewyacht.com/amazinggrace
Lyn Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 05:26   #9

I was in the BVIs once and saw a huge flotilla from Real BVI. These guys put together groups to do surfing, kiteboarding, wind surfing, and stand up paddle surfing. Looked pretty cool & they had fantastic winds & waves in the BVIs around January. I'm almost positive they will rent equipment for you if you want.
CharterExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 01:03   #10

Boat: A few!
I've kited in the caribbean from a cat since the late nineties (adapted surfboards and Flexifoil blades -scary days!) so can give you some pretty genuine advice and also point you towards the right bareboats or crews on crewed yachts who are already kiters and know the non-tourists spots already mentioned here.

You might also want to look at the BVI kite jam happening next month -very cool kiting with the stars, I did it last year.

But for the ultimate, and to prove you really love him you should check out the Best Oddyssey at The Best Odyssey - Kiteboarding, Surfing, Sailing, Paragliding Expedition in Style This first trip is wrapping up now but Gavin is currently building a 70 foot boat to do it all again...

Just worth reading the Captains log to the Adamans or Marshalls or..... I could go on!
caribcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 02:47   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribcat View Post
I've kited in the caribbean from a cat since the late nineties (adapted surfboards and Flexifoil blades -scary days!) so can give you some pretty genuine advice and also point you towards the right bareboats or crews on crewed yachts who are already kiters and know the non-tourists spots already mentioned here.

You might also want to look at the BVI kite jam happening next month -very cool kiting with the stars, I did it last year.

But for the ultimate, and to prove you really love him you should check out the Best Oddyssey at The Best Odyssey - Kiteboarding, Surfing, Sailing, Paragliding Expedition in Style This first trip is wrapping up now but Gavin is currently building a 70 foot boat to do it all again...

Just worth reading the Captains log to the Adamans or Marshalls or..... I could go on!
Wonder what his next Cat will be??? He sometimes single handles that boat. I love Kiting from my Cat. He would be so happy any route you go.
Tropical Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 06:26   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to james.SKT
Re: Cat Charter with Kiteboarding

We run kite charters for singles and groups to BVI and the Grenadines from Nov-June. We offer instruction, guided downwinders and gear demos and rental. These are livaboard trips on 40' to 58' cats. Check us out at sapphirekitetours. To my knowledge, we are the only cat charter in the caribbean other than Exuma (day charters) that offer instruction. There are plenty of other operators throughout the carib for intermediate and advanced self sufficient riders. You can look at the majority of kite charter operators at kiteboardingholidays.

fierce winds,

James
james.SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 06:47   #13

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa

Here ya go. I would recommend using specific Kite charter companies...... they know the best spots and there wont be guessing ......... This guy has had great reviews form friends of mine... tell him you want to go off the beaten path... don't just charter a boat and hope to get kiting... you'll just go kite with the crowds generally.

Phone
+590 690003032Mobile
Address
Screen Name
kitesurfari sxm(Skype)
Website
Caribbean kitesurfing cruises | Kitesurfing boat trips | Adventure holidays
Email
kitesurfarisxm@gmail.com
Facebook Kitesurfari Sxm Kitesurfing Cruises | Facebook
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 06:01   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Admiral 38 catamaran

I lived on Maui for over 10 years where windsurfing was my passion. I've also windsurfed in Europe, Africa, Caribbean, US both west and east coasts. We sold our Maui home and purchased our catamaran in 2005 sailing from Africa thru the Caribbean and the Bahamas. Some of the best locations for Kiteboarding-windsurfing I encountered during that trip were in the Exumas in the Bahamas. We currently offer charters in the Exumas from 3 -7 days aboard our catamaran specifically geared toward ocean activities such as kiteboarding, we also carry two kayaks, snorkle gear along with expert advice on where the best kiting-windsurfiing locations are. You can fine more info on our website at makanatours.com

Aloha,

Rick
makana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 14:36   #15

Boat: PT-11

Can any of you guys describe how you launch and land from a cat? The couple times I've tried it, it was a mess including a ripped kite.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, kiteboarding