Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-05-2017, 06:46   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 410
Cat Charter

Good morning, First time poster.

I am looking for a reasonably priced Cat charter for a month, (July?), this summer that is not in the VI's.

I have been sailing mono hulls my entire life and am looking to buy a live aboard for extensive cruising.

It's only prudent that I give multi hulls an honest try before I plunk down my hard earned moolah.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Best,

Rick

PS- Obviously it would be a bareboat.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:46   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: Cat Charter

The Abacos, Bahamas is a good place to try. With many shallow areas, cats are especially nice to charter there. If you will be cruising out of the states down the road, it will also familiarize you with a near by cruising area. One thing I love about the Abacos is you can choose either quaint small towns or completely uninhabited islands as you desire. Realize that like the Caribbean there is some risk of tropical storms and hurricanes in July. If you have a choice, I'd pick May-June instead.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:46   #3

Re: Cat Charter

I also recommend the Bahama's. I chartered last June out of Nassau. The nice thing regarding that charter is that you don't have to take an extra hop to the Abaco's. You can fly into Nassau and take a cab to your charter. Not sure if you can fly direct from FL to Marsh Harbor.
We chartered a cat out of Palm Cay and loved the fact it was the gate way to the Exuma's. Some fantastic cruising grounds. Water might also be a tad warmer for water sports.
Next year we are doing the Abaco's so I will then have a better comparison.
We are AZ residents so this June for less travel time we are chartering a cat out of La Paz MX.
In a previous life I was a Mono racer. a quick story is that on a race in Puget sound WA we were heeled over and sitting on the rail at 15 deg or so and in foulies doing maybe 7 knots and getting big splashes over our heads. Out of nowhere a Trimaran passed us with 4 guys drinking beer sailing level with music blasting and I thought, there is something to this multihull business. That sparked my interest (love) of multihulls. Try it and you and the admiral will love it. Sold our cat when we moved to the desert :-(
Have you ever heard of a multihull owner saying I think I will charter a mono this year?
Good luck

Tags
charter

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: